Ideas needed: using an avalanche probe as antenna (-support)?

I will attach two photos of how I use avalanche probes as a mast. The winter photo shows my EFHW pulled between two avalanche probes because in this case I was with another person who also carried an avalanche probe. The summer photo shows my feed ling running to an avalanche probe. The other end to the antenna is pulled to a pair of trekking poles taped together with duct tape, end for end. This is my typical set-up. Why carry something extra? If you are touring in winter, the avalanche probe is standard safety equipment and I find it equally useful during the summer because it is designed to be carried in a backpack and therefore more convenient than a fishing pole mast.

3 Likes

If you only use the probe in winter by pushing it down into snow, as I do then it should stay clean.

In summer I use a fishing pole

MM0YCJ/P

2 Likes

Well the idea is what I’ve picked up from this very thread!
By now, I have two probes (2.6m and 3m). On a lazy sunny day in the backyard of your gun club I stuck both into the ground to hold, horizontally, a thin telephone cable random wire, 8.8m long.
Worked Iceland OK, UK just fine.
It helps that the wire is very lightweight and to tie the antenna down on the ends with guy wires. Some wind may even be negligible in that configuration.

Great idea with the fishing pole; I am not too much of a winter SOTA guy!

2 Likes