IC-706 for SOTA

In reply to G4MD:

I have been using PowerPoles for a long time and I agree that they are excellent. I cringe when I still see photos (and meet people) who connect their portable gear to batteries with croc clips.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G4MD:

I have occasionally seen recommended using a fuse in both positive and >negative leads.

It’s really only for when the radio is mounted in a car and the connections run direct to the battery. If the car’s main -ve return paths fails, then the main return for all the current used by other electrical accessories will be from the metalwork of the car to the metalwork of the radio and back to the battery through the radio’s -ve lead. There’ll be large currents on the shield of any RF cables as well. Fusing the -ve lead means the radio chassis etc. doesn’t have to pass the return current. In my case, my car has a 105A alternator which gives an indication of the size of the currents that can be flowing in the car.

There is a conventional configuration - see RAYNET-UK | Technical Team - RAYNET Power connector

Hmmm… that original connector (the T shaped one) looks suspiciously like a FASTON 250.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy

It’s really only for when the radio is mounted in a car and the
connections run direct to the battery.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Should have see that one coming! I actually did it in the far-off days when I fitted radios in vehicles, but obviously mentally pigeon-holed it as part of the vehicle installation rather than fusing of power leads generally.

Hmmm… that original connector (the T shaped one) looks suspiciously
like a FASTON 250.

I’m sure both types are equally effective. Most important is to use something non-reversible lest a release of the magic smoke is triggered…

HNY

Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD and G3CWI:

After a little accident in December with my 2m linear, I too have now standardised on the 30A Anderson Powerpoles (with different colours for 12V, 24V, 36V) and would add my recommendation. It took me a while to find a supplier in the UK - I eventually used Torberry Connectors.

I have always been very careful with the charger and SLAB for the 817, and it’s only luck I’m sure that has prevented me from having an accident with that. The “accident” with the linear was also predictable - I was using blade connectors on the SLAB and put 24V the wrong way round across the power input - bang, magic smoke (with bits of a small electrolytic scattered all over the inside of the box), and sadly, a 12V regulator, two relay switching transistors, and, of course the power FET all destroyed. Currently waiting for the replacement FET.

So - no more of that, thank goodness - should have done it when I originally thought it would be a good idea! All the homebrew bits are internally fused, and there’s a fuse in the lead to the 817. I haven’t installed fuses on each SLAB yet, but intend to add large (say 10A) car type blade fuses - cheap and easy to fit and forget - just as belt and braces. Now, that’s also an intention, not yet done, so I’d better do it soon otherwise we all know what will happen.

What’s particularly annoying is that the “accident” didn’t happen out on the hill - it happened indoors where I was nice and warm, but just in a bit of a hurry to get set up for the 2m RSGB contest in December. Too much familiarity … and bang.

Also interested to read in this thread about the current LiPo prices - must have a look at those.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:

It took me a while
to find a supplier in the UK

Waters and Stanton sell them in packs of 12 pairs. You have to ring and ask for them. They are sold as accessories for RigRunner power distribution boards. Beware though, they are nearly as addictive as SOTA and you will end up “needing” far more than you imagined.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Ah! A secret supply! Of course, seeing the full range I went to town - lots of sets of red and black, plus enough orange and black and yellow and black and contacts to do me for - hmmm, maybe a year or two if I’m not too productive on the homebrew front! Also got the side “cheek” pieces to allow for chassis mounting for DC input to kit.

Yes, definitely addictive.

John GM8OTI

In reply to G0WBR:
Hello Tim,
I’m using my IC706MKIIG since abt. 5 SOTA-Expeditions. I found for power a new kind of batteries: LiFePO4 (Lithium Fero Polymer 4) - I have 8 cells, every 3,3V, 2,3 AH. I inserted them into a case abt. 11 x 11 x 6 cm and I coupled 4 cells in a row and the same parallel, so I have a accu-pack with 13,2 V and 4,6 AH, weight ca 800 g.This cells can give a power of > 30 A, until cells are empty (!!), so you can send till low-power of transmitter is reached (you hear it before at bad ton). I made operation abt. 2 hours with one accu-loading, abt 50 QSO’s with changing power between abt. 20 to 100 W out.
Lifepo4-Cells are not dangerous (other than Lithium), are all the time in use nearly cold and have abt. 2000 to 3000 loading-cyclles (says manufacturer). But they are some expensive (I paid € 14,-- per cell, but I have also seen it in catalog for € 20,–), and you need a special battery charger. Further infos you can find in Internet, questions to my mail DF5WA@DARC.de

73, DF5WA, Bert.

In reply to GM8OTI:

In reply to G4MD and G3CWI:

After a little accident in December with my 2m linear, I too have now
standardised on the 30A Anderson Powerpoles (with different colours
for 12V, 24V, 36V) and would add my recommendation.

Connectors identical to ‘Powerpoles’ are also available from CPC but are difficult to find on their appalling website.

If you search on ‘Housing Red’ and in the connectors select ‘mains, power etc’ you will find the body shells (available in other colours too). Failing that the cuurent part number is CN10077 but they seem to change the reference numbers every time I look.

For the inserts, search ‘15A crimp/solder’ or currently part number CN10082 for 15A or CN10083 for 30A.

Mike G4BLH

In reply to DF5WA:
Hi Bert
Many thanks for your reply. The LiFePO4 cells sound just the job, I’ll definitely have to look into those, thanks for the information.

73, Tim, G0WBR

In reply to G0WBR:
Hi Tim,
I use my IC-706MKIIG in all my SOTA activations and this is my experience: I usually work with 50 Watts from 17 Ah battery and I’m able to be on the air from 4 summits, for about 30-45 minutes from each. Need to mention, I make really short QSO’s with transmitting as little as possible.
So, I think that IC-706 is not a bad choice if you are not scared to carry a little more, hi. (28 kg in my case)
Imgur

Mirek, OK1CYC

In reply to OK1CYC:

used IC706MKIIG for all my activations in 2005/6/7, with an 11Ah commercial LiIon.

total weight of station 6kg incl. antenna and keyer, not too much for a one-day-tour.

plus some more for the beer…

could activate 4 summits each 30min about 50W, about 25 qso each, without problems.

activating less summits allows higher power, chasers are thankful.

see http://www.sota-dl-alpen.de/articles/SOTA_equipment_DL2DVE.pdf

changed later to KX1 to achieve total weight RIG below 1kg hi…

73 andy DL2DVE