I think its a very important info for activators i

hi friends, laughs not over it, I hold the following info for very important. particularly because many activators about the time period of the ham are activ in DM/BW-land. I have already 3 pulled out of my skin this year after my activations in the black-forest. so , please no activation in shorts :wink: please ,
take it seriously

vy 73 klaus df2gn

Due to warm temperatures in spring the tick season has started again in Germany. Borreliosis is the disease with the highest incidence of tick-borne diseases. The Robert Koch Institute has informed that the incidence of new infections in Germany is estimated at over 60,000 per year. However, information about the exact number is still sketchy, as there is no nationwide notification requirement for Lyme disease / borreliosis. In Central Europe, the borreliae are transmitted by tick bites (Ixodes ricinus) – predominantly from March to October (as well as before and after this period, according to the weather conditions). Also there is a risk for other diseases transmitted by ticks, such as TBE (Tick-Borne-Encephalitis). The number of TBE cases in Germany is steadily increasing. On April 13 the Robert Koch-Institute announced a number of new TBE risk areas in Germany (check fit for travel – diseases – map Germany). All in all 129 districts in Germany are currently considered to be TBE risk zones - this means an increase of 33 districts. Last year 546 TBE cases were registered in Germany (2005: 432). More than the half of all cases was acquired in Baden-Wuerttemberg, further cases in Bavaria. Isolated cases were reported from Hesse, Thuringia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Saxony. So far no cases were reported from Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Bremen, Berlin, North Rhine-Westphalia and Saarland. Most tick bites are acquired outdoors. Especially at risk are people who frequently spend long periods outdoors (people with gardens, tourists, day-tourists, etc.), as well as people exposed professionally (forest rangers and workers, hunters, etc.). Methods of prevention include wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirts, socks, and sturdy shoes. Some mosquito-repellent creams and lotions are moderately effective in keeping ticks at bay – mostly however only for a few hours. After spending time outside, it is essential to search the body – especially children – for ticks. Should a tick be found it should be removed immediately. Should complaints appear after a tick bite, a doctor should be consulted as soon as possible. A TBE-vaccination may be recommended for the population of the TBE risk areas as well as for travellers visiting the TBE risk zones.

http://www.dr-gumpert.de/assets/images/Zecken.jpg

In reply to DF2GN:

Klaus

We have them here too.

I have picked up a few this year - Arnside Knott gave me two :frowning:

Sitting in the heather or grass is the most likely cause. Try to get off the ground if possible.

Richard

In reply to DF2GN:
I would like to echo what Klaus has said.
The tick season appears to be serious this year all over Europe. Something to do with the relatively warm winter, I am told.
I was in Norway for a couple of weeks during mid-May and I did manage to remove 1 tick from my bare forearm during a walk in the forest.
Warnings about ticks and the seriousness of Lymes decease have been posted around Scotland as well.
If there is any chance of vegetation brushing against you whilst out and about walking or activating for SOTA, the message is COVER UP !
Do not sit on the ground; take a small sheet of plastic sheeting or similar to sit on.
73 de Ken

In reply to DF2GN:
Hi Klaus,

You are right to be concerned about these as from your information; it would seem that they are more likely to carry Lyme disease in Central Europe than in the UK.

I had four ticks last spring from bracken on the cliff faces near my home of Scarborough. I have had quite a few from the Island of Jura in GM, where there are 20,000 Red Deer. I also got one in G/LD.

I pull them out when they are still small, using a pair of fine tweezers and they mostly seem to target my waist, forearm or lower leg. I’m sure that you will know that the mandibles must not be left in, so it is best to grip them as close to the skin as possible but without crushing them. When they come out, it feels like a small sticking plaster is being removed. I tried heating their backsides with a 25-Watt soldering iron but it had no effect on their grip and just burnt me via conduction.

They appear to be less common where sheep are grazing, probably because of sheep-dipping but quite widespread in the areas frequented by deer. In my experience Bracken (fern) is the worst culprit for harboring them (and if that isn’t bad enough, apparently Bracken’s airborne particles are also carcinogenic in June, July & August.)

Let’s all inspect regularly for another SOTA activator hazard!
Not nice!

73, John G4YSS.

In reply to G4YSS:
During my recent trip to Jura, where, as John comments, with the high deer population, ticks abound, I somehow managed to avoid them - not sure whether the Mosi-guard helped - and I avoided shorts despite the brilliant sunny weather over the May bank holiday weekend - however the local deer stalker who transported us to the base of the hills commented that he regularly picked up ticks as do many of the islanders involved in the deer stalking business. He had a suspicion that the some of the islanders, him included, may have built up a resistance to infection from ticks - would be interesting topic for some medical research - areas of maximum exposure may have evolved. Best thing for removing ticks is a small plastic device available from veterinary practices and some pharmacists, that is intended mainly for dogs but is designed to slip under the head and prise them out and works just as well for humans.
73, jim g0cqk

In reply to G0CQK:

not sure whether the Mosi-guard helped

DEET based sprays are very effective IF you want to put it on your body in the first place… although they can be applied to clothes too. Read the directions and warnings thoroughly.

We used to have some pretty strong sprays because ticks and Lyme disease were prevalent in New England. The sprays ranged from “normal” to “backwoods” formulations… (with different concentrations of DEET)… you get the picture.

73 Marc G0AZS

hi all,
I would not like to spread unnecessarily afraid over ticks, but the lymes is not the biggest problem.in some areas ( think not in UK ) , ticks has bacteria in itself this can transfer and results in TBE-illnes this with massive damage the health or can finish more badly if one is not vaccinated. the TBE-regions you can see in this link/map

http://www.zecke.de/uploads/pics/FSME-KarteLKApril07_01.jpg

I would not like to do panic unnecessarily or even take the desire for sota in south-dm`s, but i think most other other activators are not vaccinated against tbe ( FSME - in german ) . this summer, we have especially many ticks and simply be little careful ! I even already known a sickened person, sick they for three years is.earlier active marathon runner, and today disabled to do any work.maybe one this establishes because I point it out.here another brochure in English language as pdf

http://www.forum-impfen.de/impfnavigator/eob/fsme.pdf

vy 73 klaus

In reply to G0CQK:

not sure whether the Mosi-guard helped <

I use Neem which I personally find very effective for a wide range of pests, including those awful Scottish midges. Keeping covered up is the first line of defence, though it is tempting to strip layers off while operating at the summit.

73, Gerald

For GM activators - http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2007/default_map.asp

In reply to DF2GN:

I removed three ticks last summer. They came from orienteering - not SOTA. Here is tick info in French

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Jimmy, Liam & myself have clocked up something like 900 SOTA activations, cumulatively between us. We have often walked in shorts and t-shirts around Wales, the Pennines, Cornwall etc. Jimmy and myself wore shorts along much of the Pennine Way, including the northern forest sections.

None of us has ever had a tick. We feel snubbed. Maybe we’re a particular blood group or ‘aroma’ for which they care little. However, this is quite scary stuff. How obvious is it when you’ve been “ticked”? Is it immediately noticeable. I can’t claim to have vigilantly checked me and the kids after every single walk.

I hope that none of these tick things live on The Cloud.

In reply to M1EYP:

It is not at all obvious. They are completely painless and just look like a small black dot on your skin. They cannot be removed by normal washing and can only really be got out with tweezers. Once you have had one they are never forgotten. The wound takes a while to heal once they have been removed - and itches a lot. Careful inspection is the only way to be sure that you have not got one (or more).

I would be surprised if they were not at The Cloud.

I still have the scar from one that was removed from me in hospital in Australia while I was cycling from coast to coast in 1984.

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

A work collegaue got one last Summer when walking in the Highlands. He didn’t find it till that evening when he saw it whilst showering, many hours later. He was aware of Lymes disease and spoke to his doctor’s practice about his concerns. Their advice was to wait and see if he got any symptoms. Only when he started to develop some of the symptoms did his doctor take it seriously and prescribe antibiotics. As already said, in GM, they seem to be where deer are common and less so where there are sheep.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

BTW Eating Marmite keeps mosi’s away… maybe it’s the same for ticks?

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

BTW Eating Marmite keeps mosi’s away… maybe it’s the same for ticks? <

Aha, that’s why I get bitten and the XYL stays clear of them! Must take some to Greece when I next go there! I do like it, but it’s not on my mental list of preferred foodstuffs.

73, Gerald

P.S. Like Tom, I’ve never had a problem with ticks, but will be keeping safe while out on the hills.

In reply to DF2GN:

Hi Klaus

Thank you for raising awareness of the problems with ticks, I think it has shocked quite a few amateurs in the UK.
I certainly wasn’t aware of any health problems connected with ticks and the links in your post show that there is a genuine cause for concern.
I have never been bitten by a tick, well not that I’m aware of, but I have not stopped itching since I read your post, hi.

vy 73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to DF2GN:

And more 12th May:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

In reply to DF2GN:

And more 12th May:

Ignorance of tick-borne Lyme disease 'costing lives' - BBC News

Mike G6TUH
Hi Mike…
This is a problem :((.Since ~10 years observe a lot of infections(neuro- and reumatologic)from Lyme…especially group IGM&IGG(my QRLhospital)working witch http://www.biomerieux-diagnostics.com/servlet/srt/bio/clinical-diagnostics/dynPage?doc=CNL_CLN_PRD_G_PRD_CLN_71.http://www.biomerieux-diagnostics.com/upload/Vidas%20Lyme%20poster%202-1.pdf …This is a problem.Treatment 3 too 6/12 months!:((.
Best regards de Robert.

In reply to G0AZS:

DEET based sprays are very effective IF you want to put it on your
body in the first place… although they can be applied to clothes
too. Read the directions and warnings thoroughly.

Permethrin (correctly applied to clothing) is much more effective against ticks than DEET on clothing or skin:

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-versus-permethrin-as-a-tick-repellent

I have dedicated clothing (socks, trousers, shirt and hat) which is treated with Permethrin every 6 weeks. I recently found a tick on some unprotected clothing and put it on my “tick suit”. The tick was dead in 45 minutes even though the treatment was slightly past the 6 weeks effectiveness period.

Here in the US we can purchase 10% Permethrin solutions (intended for farm animals) very economically.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/permethrin-10-livestock-amp%3B-premise-spray-32-oz

You can then dilute it 20:1 for a 0.5% solution for application to clothing.

I do use DEET on my uncovered hands and face…but primarily for mosquitoes.

73, Bill W4ZV

In reply to W4ZV:

For those who prefer a more natural protection without using chemicals, you might consider the following:

(From the nasota Yahoo Groups list):

###################################################################
Below was in Mother Earth in a 2007 edition. I have used it and it works for me.

"With Lyme’s Disease so much in the news, I want to spread the good news of how to repel ticks, thus preventing tick bites, that my great-grandfather taught our family long ago. A tiny dab of sulfur introduced into the human system early in spring is all that’s needed.

Some pharmacists still keep some sulfur mixed up for sale. Many in the Pacific Northwest always had some for sheepherders, whose job required them to live among the ticks. As a forest lookout for six seasons, in a cabin overrun with ticks each summer, I kept wafers of sulfur mixed with cream of tartar on hand. Sometimes I could feel ticks crawl on me, but they never stuck — or bit me.

When I was growing up in East Texas, my dad, following my grandfather’s recipe, mixed dry sulfur with wild honey or molasses and we all ate some. You have to mix it with something because sulfur tastes really icky.
• Mix one-eighth teaspoon of powdered sulfur with a little honey or molasses
• Take this mixture once a day for a week in early spring.
• The next week take it every other day.
• The next week take it every three days.
• Thereafter take the mixture once a month through tick season.

There were plenty of ticks around, but when we used this prevention, they sure didn’t stick to us."

Jo Nathan
Merrill, Oregon
Obviously, If you are allergic to sulfur drugs then don’t do it. This works for chiggers as well.

Headed for the East TN Mountains!
Mike
N1MB
###############################################################

I have no personal experience with this method but it makes sense to me based on ancient useage of sulfur as a natural insect repellant.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8696194_sulfur-good-insect-repellent.html

73, Bill W4ZV