How do I delete my SOTA account completely?

If it fell it wasn’t sound!

3 Likes

Well, I deleted my SOTA points and a few hours later my SOTA website account (not the reflector) was shut down. Thanks MM0FMF.

In the future I’ll wander up SOTA mountains like before but my expeditions will not be SOTA activations anymore. Vitalizing our repeaters (use them or lose them) seems more important to me than distributing SOTA points. Alas, it cannot be done all in one…what a pity!

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

Sorry Alfred, but I have to disagree on your comment. It can be done all in one!

Nobody in the SOTA community want’s to stop you from using repeaters. These QSO’s just don’t count for the activation. For your future activations … use the “REVERSE” function of the handheld. If you hear a QSO-Partner also direct, maybe ask him/her to make quick QSY to try a direct contact also. It’s all about experimenting in Ham Radio, isn’t it?

73 Martin, OE5REO

1 Like

Sorry, Martin, I do not want to rescue SOTA but our repeaters. This can be done only by using them - instead of 145.500 MHz.

I personally do not care about SOTA points. Others do - and therefore avoid repeater frequencies. That’s the problem…

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

Hi Alfred

I understand your concern about the repeaters. I feel similarly about CW mode on HF (mainly) so I use CW mode as well as SSB on as many summits as possible. There is a strong following for WWFF activations in Australia and Europe so I also announce the code for WWFF if there is one. There are operators in Australia who cannot use 20m so if they are a long way from my location, I try to include 15m or 10m which they often can use. And there are those who use VHF exclusively on SSB - so I try to qualify the summits on SSB and FM.

It would probably not be much fun to focus only on one kind of activity here due to the low numbers of operators. So I try to do a bit of everything. And yes I do use the repeaters as a safety backup system, they are very good for that. And also use them to find operators to give me simplex contacts.

I don’t find it necessary to activate one of the awards exclusively. I find it more fun to include as many as possible. I would encourage you to do the same when you can.

Hope to work you one day.

Andrew
vk1da vk2uh

1 Like

Sorry, I was wrong: My data were NOT deleted completely till now. Please delete them COMPLETELY!

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

As you have decided to conduct this in public then I will respond in public. I have no intention of shutting down this database account until I receive an email from the same address as registered with the account. That’s how it’s always been done and how it will be done in the future.

As far as I know you could be any internet troll out to cause trouble who has hacked access to the account you are using. Given that you cannot ask politely by email, I have no intention of using my valuable time following up to see if the reflector account, the email address given and the IP addresses used to access the reflector are the same as the details given for the database account and if the addresses used to access the database match the those for the reflector.

When I receive a plain, simple and above all, polite request by email or via PM here, I will deal with this. Until then, well I guess I don’t need to go into detail.

8 Likes

Ok, I hope to be polite enough… :wink:

73, Alfred, OE5AKM