How did you choose?

Here you go, Amy: Most power ever on HF activation? - #43 by K6EL

Good for one QSO, with terrible RF feedback.

1 Like

Go for 144 MHz! 1.3 kW* is easily feasible, even on non-drive up summits.

Ahoi
Pom

*ERP of course

Very nice. Our hometown mountain was also my first and looks similar to yours!

I did Kennaday Peak, an 8 point drive up summit a couple of hours away in Wyoming. I wanted to use my 100 watt rig (Yaesu 857D) and talk to people on SSB, rather than qrp cw. However, a drive up activation felt anticlimactic for reaching Mountain Goat.
Peter KD0YOB

1 Like

Thanks for all the stories and ideas. I’m sure wherever I choose it will be fabulous! 73, Amy, AG7GP

4 Likes

Amy,

I ended up getting MG on April 19, 2015. I needed 4 points, but there was a LOT of snow in the mountains at that time. I picked an easy summit, W0C/FR-062, Mount Bailey, that I knew I could get to, but the weather forecast was tricky.

I still remember driving up Highway 285 with snow coming down, wondering about how or whether I could do the activation. There were about 6-8 inches on the trail and on the summit, but I got up there OK on snowshoes. The weather got better, the snow quit, I got on the air, but about the time I had logged 4 contacts, the clouds moved in, and more snow started coming down!

My log was getting wet from snow, but I managed to scoot under an overhanging rock enough to preserve the log and keep going. Many of my favorite chasers, and some veteran activators, turned out to help with the celebration. EA2IF Guru is in that log!

After 48 contacts, I was done, but at the end the sun came out, the North Platte River Canyon was glorious and brilliant with all the snow, and I’ll never forget the experience!

At the start, I thought maybe I had chosen the wrong peak - but at the end, it was so right!
Hope your choice is happy for you!

Congratulations in advance!

Carey/George
KX0R

10 Likes

For me it was the following factors: time of year, covid, weather, ease to access for a group.
For the most part the VE6 gang is a social group when hitting milestones so it was a summit that was easy for all to get up, had a fire ring, trees for fire and protection from the winds.
For me it was Square Butte VE6/RA-032 fit the requirements perfectly.

Malen
VE6VID

3 Likes