How about 6m SOTA this afternoon-evening?

You’re right, those G1’s were in the way too along with G6’s. Never heard G8’s on 6m back in the day. But I think the G8’s were still coming to terms with the fact that you don’t wear socks with sandals!

However, G7… now there was a prefix to be proud of. :blush:

Which is why I still have mine!

What - why not ?
Ed (G8GLM)

1 Like

Because they get wet due to all the rain in the UK!

I held G6AKH/T. 405 lines, QQV03-20 grid modulated driving 4CX250B. Happy days, though my parents and the neighbours didn’t always agree :wink:
Had to send licence back when TV was included in standard offering.

Socks and sandals - immensely comfortable and practical. Just avoid wearing shorts at the same time…

Adrian
G4AZS

What socks, sandals, a t-shirt, Y-fronts and nothing else? I think that image will need some potent “mind-bleach” to eradicate for good!

1 Like

Sorry I missed that bit as my eyes were on fire with the no shorts comment. Very good, that must have caused severe broadcast TV havoc over a wide area! You’d have score douze points if you had used a conduction cooled version of the 250b. ISTR that was used in commercial TV driver stages in those days.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0584.htm

1 Like

I do, it keeps my feet clean in dusty conditions, the fashion police can kiss them!

I once tried out the ancient trick of putting socks over my climbing boots to combat greasy rock. It didn’t help much but the socks were useless afterwards!

Brian

Socks not allowed with sandals in my last job ( though the sandals were cunningly designed to minimise exposure to sunlight). Coupled with knee length socks (when wearing shoes) and knee length shorts. Sun-burn risk minimal :sunglasses:
De G6PJZ (still reeling from the attack on my character :innocent:) let me know if we’ve gone OT

I seem to recall that the preponderance of G6’s on the 6 metre band can be traced back to the time when 6 metres first became available to Class B licence-holders in the UK. I think, at that time (1981), Ofcom were in the middle of issuing the G6*** series of callsigns and all the newcomers headed straight for 50 MHz.

I may be mistaken … it was a long time ago. Perhaps G8ADD can remember the year when 50 MHz became officially available in the UK as an amateur band? The UKSMG was founded in early 1982. I am confused, because I have found a reference to 405-line TV transmissions continuing in some areas of the UK as late as January 1985. I do recall that certain “clandestine” amateur operations took place from the Isles of Scilly as early as November 1979 - well before the band was officially allocated to amateur radio in the UK! (Particulars withheld to protect the guilty.)
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Permits were issued to 40 stations initially and then another batch were issued taking it to 100. Nov 1984 is the date on G4UPS’ permit which is online. Fixed ops only, power limits as the then 4m band and operation only after UK Band I TV had shutdown. 1986 it was released generally.

EDIT: here you go Walt: History of the UKSMG (UK Six Metre Group)

Thank you very much, Andy. That’s exactly what I was trying to find. The UKSMG web site is extremely difficult to navigate. It is strewn with broken links and blank pages! There is no obvious way of getting from their Home Page to the history page that you have referenced.

All very interesting.

Walt (G3NYY)