Hoping for 100th unique activation on G/SB-001 Monday May 29

A small milestone that will hopefully occur Monday for me sometime around 13:00 UTC plus or minus.

Not sure what HF propagation will be like but will start with VHF/UHF tomorrow.

Paul

Good luck Paul. If I can get a pass Iā€™ll try and work you. Forecast isnā€™t looking great, but the good news is the pollen count will be low :wink:

Hi Paul,
Regarding HF propagation - This from Southgate News today.

Geomagnetic storm underway

A moderately strong G2-class geomagnetic storm is underway on May 27-28 as Earth moves through the wake of a CME that swept past our planet just hours ago.

High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras, especially in the southern hemisphere where deepening autumn darkness favors visibility.

Check Spaceweather.com for more information and updates.

Hopefully it has passed by the time you get onto the summit.

73 Ed.

Ed

Thanks for the heads up and Iā€™m glad I have the VHF/UHF options.

Andy

Iā€™m just beginning to realize how unpredictable the UK weather is and how that adds another layer of complexity to activating here.

Droughts and heavy snow fall aside, we are quite spoilt around weather in California!

Paul

2 Likes

WX a bust and hence todayā€™s activation of SBā€“001 postponed.

Better luck next time Paul. My neighbourā€™s Californian, I think something other than the weather has kept him here

Andy

California is a pretty nice place to live and work in!

I might try the Cheviot Friday.

Given the weather is so variable my new plan for my 100th is a 1 pointer (GM/SS-286) very close to Berwick upon tweed where I am staying this week.

Paul

I hope you like coos. :wink:

Funny thing, even though the gate was open they didnā€™t cross into my field. But they do come right upto the fence where I was located and hang their heads over. Coos are dangerously curious beasts and someone new in the field is a major event in their humdrum existence. They also lick everything they see in case it tastes better than grass. I had to move away from the fence so the cow snot didnā€™t land on the log paper or 817! :yum:

1 Like

Hi Paul,
If you have any chance of getting out tomorrow, itā€™d be great to have an S2S on 20 or 40m - Iā€™m heading up to Wank - Crikey, that sounds rude but the Summit, near Garmisch-Partenkirchen DL/EW-001 is indeed called Wank. Iā€™ve posted an alert and as long as I donā€™t feel ā€œcrookā€ in the morning, Iā€™ll be on the summit around 0930UTC (10:30 UK time).

73 Ed DD5LP.

Short notice but a break in my appointments and sunshine has me rushing out to attempt GM/as-286 today

Hi Paul, first time I have heard you today but then not been around all the time - house/garden jobs! Thanks for GM/SS-286. Bands have been very flakey here in East Sussex/SE UK. You hear someone very well one minute and then next they crash into noise. Have a great tour in EU land and hopefully hear you from home :wink:
Cheers
Mike

Conditions werenā€™t there for me today - I could hear the chasers but not you ā€œone hop too farā€ I think !

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Europe,

73 Ed.

Ed

Thanks and hopefully your activation yesterday was fun.

I had an appointment up in Edinburgh in the morning and hence couldnā€™t make it for the possible S2S.

Paul

Mike

Thanks for the contact and the bands are so fickle nowadays.

Paul

1 Like

No worries Paul, with the way the bands were I suspect we wouldnā€™t have made it anyway

Ed.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the s2s today. Although the bands are a bit iffy looks like your having a good time over here. Thanks to Don RQL for the ā€˜heads upā€™ when I was on 60m.

73 and enjoy the rest of your stay and activations.

Allan GW4VPX

1 Like

Allan

Our S2S was a very welcome surprise.

Paul

1 Like

SB-001 may not have been my 100th but it could well be my 101st!!

Weather looks almost plausible and so Iā€™ll try The Cheviot tomorrow Friday June 2nd around 10:00 UTC.

2m/70cm FM and then 40/20m SSB.

Paul

Just worked Paul on SB-001 in the rain. He has qualified the activation,
Jim

3 Likes