Hope Mountain GW/NW-062 18/4/2007

Having built a new 5Mhz dipole and successfully tested it on Halkyn Mountain yesterday, I alerted for an activation of GW/NW-062 Hope Mountain.
This summit is only approx 12 miles from my home in Connah’s Quay, so it is my intention to activate it regularly to “give a little back” to the regular activators.
The weather was superb and I could have stayed all day in the sunshine, with wildlife abounding all around.

I called my “shadow” Steve GW7AAV on my 2m handie and requested a spot for 5Mhz for approx 15 mins ahead, in the hope that I might get a few chasers ready and willing, quite a day followed.
First up was Alister GW0VMZ with his usual superb signal followed by 10 other regulars, including a s2s with John GW4BVE/P on GW/NW-030, thanks John.
I had packed an old WD No2 up and down key just in case Cris GM4FAM up in Inverness was about, because I have heard him request 5Mhz cw regularly. Having already linked up with Cris on ssb, I asked him if he wanted the summit on cw, really??? does a one legged duck swim in circles???
The contact was solid at 599 both ways on a band which was certainly not at it’s best, cw always seems to do the trick. Sorry for the slower cw Cris, we get spoiled with paddles in the shack, I hope my manual cw wasn’t too bad, hi.

At this point I switched over to 2Mtrs Fm and was pleased to find my 2nd s2s of the day with Ian M3ZMR/P on G/LD-027 followed by another 17 regular chasers.
A tip off from Nigel 2E0NHM in Preston put me on to my 3rd s2s of the day with Geoff G4CPA/P on G/NP-028, thanks Nigel.
Then, while still on Geoff’s frequency, I received a s2s call from Caroline M3ZCB/P and M1MAJ/P on G/NP-004 for the 4th and 5th s2s contacts, many thanks to you Geoff for allowing us to use your frequency for the contacts.

At the end of the activation I found a coaxial fault on the 2Mtr dipole, it’s small wonder I worked anyone with the problem, but managed to get everyone in the log, sorry for the struggle Mick 2E0HJD, the problem was my end, but we got there in the end.

All in all, a very pleasant day, relaxing on a grassy bank on a Welsh mountain.

QSOs
60Mtrs ssb = 11
60Mtrs cw = 1
2Mtrs FM = 17
70Cms FM = 1
s2s = 5

Thanks to all.
Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Having built a new 5Mhz dipole

Watch out for sheep. My dipole was severed by a sheep on Whernside today. Emergency repairs were needed to make the activation possible. Still seemed to work with a twisted and knotted join…

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

So you’ve warmed it up for me… I guess you left footprints on the way up as well since presumably the gate was locked, Hi!

Well done on the respectable total of QSOs on a weekday - I’m always surprised how many people are around during the week. I must take some more days off…

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

The gate wasn’t actually locked, it just had some nylon string roughly tied around it, probably the work of a local “skallywag” and not an official, hi.

Yes a good activation on 60m and vhf, very enjoyable in the sunshine.
The rabbits don’t seem afraid and run free all around you, near the radio station and the access road. The views are stunning also.

I look forward to your activation and might even pop up and say hello if I’m not busy.

Mike