History of trig pillars

At a quick glance, I could swear it was Jensen Button leaning up against the trig. :wink:

1 Like

Spartleton Gerald?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a “Currant B & M”? I tried Google, but it didn’t help.

Walt (G3NYY)

No but that is a very good guess Steve. Spartleton needs a new coat of paint.

King’s Seat SS-235, it’s been repainted since I was there in 2013.

I had the advantage of the nice farmer letting me park in his farmyard which made it a much shorter walk, double barbed wire and electric fences excepted.

Yes, spot on Andy. Barbed wire? Electrics fences? Not sure which way you approached it, but we walked up from the west having parked near the crossroads close by Legertlaw. We almost needed sunglasses when the sun came out… before the showers arrived… another tarp shelter quickly erected.

Spartleton looked like this when I was there in 2011. Another with the combination of trig plus small cairn. Looks like I was having an untidy day -

Of course we know this one… what a shame. :frowning:

Approx. route from farmyard. It was a fluke, the farmer was leaving his drive and I pulled up in front and asked it was OK to park on the verge and he told me to put my car at the far side of his farmyard where it was out of the way. A very nice man indeed.

Aaah yes… we took the “southern softies” approach up the gentle slopes of the west flank of the hill :-s

Boy did we enjoy our half of shandy that night

:wink:

1 Like

At the link a sample of Trig stations on SOTA peaks in VK1, VK2 and VK3. NSW has a similar pillar design, most likely copied from the mother land. :slight_smile:

My favourite is the stone cairn at South Black Range VK2/ST-006.

Andrew VK1AD

3 Likes

Trig Points (can hardly call these pillars) are somewhat smaller when you find them on German summits. They are there for the same reason, marking the highest point for map making, but literally you could trip over them! Here is the one I found under some brush wood at Irschenhausen (DL/BE-094):

No way to use this to support an antenna mast!

Ed.

B & M Stores, a dirty great discount shop a lot of them up and down the county chain now recently come to Cornwall first spotted in NE Suffolk 10 years ago

Hope that Is of help

Karl

Yes, it is. Thanks Karl … but I’ve never heard of B & M. They must not have reached Gloucestershire! We have B & Q, though. :slight_smile:

We are a bit of a backwater here. Even Dunelm and Wilko have only arrived in Cheltenham within the past six months.

Walt (G3NYY)

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores?location=Tewkesbury%252C%2520Gloucestershire%2520GL20%252C%2520UK&region=UK&locationid=2B1D6CF0-4892-11E2-9EDAA4BADB4726BE

Wilko sell the same tat as Woolworth did often from the same premises that used to house Woolworth shops.
Woolworth went bust and Wilko turnover was £1.5billion.

Go figure!

Thanks for that info! I had no idea they were there, even though I often go to other shops in the same trading estate. Now that I’ve seen the B&M logo on their web page, I can vaguely recollect seeing their sign on the shop. They have not been there long. I think they are next door to Argos.

As for Wilko, in Cheltenham they are not on the old Woolworth site but they are in a rather down-market part of the Lower High Street.
:slight_smile:
Walt

Ah, that explains everything. I realise now that when Karl said “the Currant B & M”, he actually meant “the current B & M”. Got it.

ROTFL! Indeed. I had also been thinking of currant buns, doughnuts, etc.

:wink:

Walt

It was the capitalisation that threw me, leading me to interpret “Currant” as being part of the proper noun.

We have boundary markers about that size in the UK Ed. I can’t recall ever using one to support a pole, but I have used small rocks when weather conditions have been very calm, a rare occurrence of course.

I am always happy to use a trig when in activating in the UK, but have always made a conscious effort not to do so when operating in other countries. This is an example from CT/AL -

No problem to use the TP in CT/CU/CT3 trigs.
Everybody can use it extensively as support pole.

The are 3 types in CT/CU/CT3, all look similar except in size. There are about 9K trig points in Portugal.
The one in the picture (CT/AL) is the “medium” size.

Big ones - First order Trig points - 30 to 60 km apart from another one

Medium ones - Second order - 20 to 30 km apart from another one

Smallest ones - Third order - 5 to 10 km apart from another one

Vy 73

2 Likes