Hill Fort Communications

I guess the Torches were not battery powered (well at least not 2,500 years ago).

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:
Hmmm…
I wonder if that would count as a SOTA activation if the torches were used to flash the message in Morse?!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:
Yeah why not, i heard on the ICQ podcast that some amateurs in VK used red light to set a distance record from a hilltop!!

Adrian

UPDATE, Ok so i cant find the VK guys, but i did find a link to some UK hams also using light for contact

http://www.icqpodcast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1237:new-uk-lightwave-record&catid=1:latest&Itemid=100008

In reply to MM0TAI:

c.f. Cloudbounce

Andy
MM0FMF

Frequency = Other (Lightwave)

If that is acceptable can I Yodel from Moel Famau to Foel Fenlli for a summit to summit?

Frequency = Other (Soundwave)

In reply to GW7AAV:

Got to be an EM wave which sound isn’t!

There are people playing with cloud bounce LED and laser signals working paths of several hundred kms. There were some articles in DUBUS a few issues back about it.

Sounds ideal for Scotland, although it’s quite sunny today after the cloud touching the snow most of yesterday.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Just wondering how I’d work cloudbounce when on most activations I’m actually in it. I don’t think it will catch on for SOTA… at least within 100km of where I am activating!

Now raindrop scatter is perhaps another matter…

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Or we could dispense with all the tiresome technology and give telepathy a try…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Or we could dispense with all the tiresome technology and give
telepathy a try…

That would be a darn sight lighter to carry up the hills!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

No my brain is very QRO and so is heavy :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Ah, so THAT’s why you leave it behind! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OIG:

Just wondering how I’d work cloudbounce when on most activations I’m actually in it.

That’s meticulous advance planning for you. It does rather commit you to certain days, whatever the weather. I am now following Jimmy’s preferred MO of fairly last-minute plans and decisions, that generally work in allowing us to walk and activate in decent weather.

This sort of planning is not so good for booking accommodation though.

Tom M1EYP

(BTW, there is not, and never has been a trampoline on SP-015)

In reply to M1EYP:

Now there is an interesting way to get out further with a handheld rig!

Brian G8ADD

Here is another example of light communication from forts, this time using CW.

http://www.techdif.co.uk/two/monument-morse/

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to M1EYP:

Now there is an interesting way to get out further with a handheld
rig!

How about a handheld tied to a helium balloon with a very long lead to the speaker mic?

…Or something I always wanted to try; A dual band handheld set in cross band repeater mode tied to a balloon or kite with another at the bottom using on 70cms.

Regards Steve GW7AAV