High Willhays G/DC-001

HI John,thanks for the contact on your 1st hf activation,I heard the other s2s calling you but weak to me and when I worked Paul g4ipb he said he had worked you I thought can’t be bad for s2s on your hf visit to DC001.
I am in earshot of High Willhays for HH radios so will listen out for you next time but it can be difficult at times to qualify it on the 2mtr fm band. 73 Don.

1 Like

Don, you were also my first SOTA HF QSO - so thank you. I feel I should send you a badge to record the event!

John

Well done on the activation John.

I think it’s easy to forget, or trivialise, what it’s like as a new comer to SOTA, there’s definitely a steep learning curve. In my 17 years of SOTA I’ve probably picked up skills that I don’t even think about.

My wife’s father lives near Bovey Tracey, and in more normal times we visit several times a year. Last year we managed a trip in late summer, I was able to borrow my parent’s motorhome to make things a bit safer, so that we could have our own accommodation bubble. Unfortunately I didn’t manage an activation of G/DC-001 during that trip - I wouldn’t have fancied driving the motorhome up to Okehampton camp anyway!

I do enjoy activating G/DC-001 when we visit Devon. I don’t think I’ve success on 2m FM from there, the handheld hasn’t rustled up many QSOs. My usual kit is an MTR CW transceiver and dipole on a 4m pole. We’re Devon bound in a few weeks, so I’ll have to see if I can squeeze in an activation of High Willhays.

73, Colin

1 Like

Colin thank you. I parked at Meldon Reservoir partly because it looked a more interesting walk but it was an easy drive in my 6m campervan although there is a 3.5m height limit under a bridge. This might be a problem with a big motorhome.

If I return, and I’m sure I will, I’ll try the approach from the camp. :slight_smile:

I have a PDF of the band plan in my phone. Similarly PDF copies of the manuals for all my rigs. No extra weight to carry, nothing extra to remember to take with me.

1 Like

Hi John,

Just as a follow up, I did get the opportunity to activate G/DC-001 when I was in Devon last week.
I was offered a chance to activate in the afternoon. I’d taken a 4m pole and MTR-2B in my travel case ‘just in case’ a SOTA trip could be squeezed in.

I wasn’t so optimistic that my kit would provide the necessary contacts but actually the activation was fine, 20m had quite short skip. I made 28 contacts in around 50 minutes.

It had been lovely and sunny when I left Liverton but by the time I got to Okehampton the sun had retreated behind clouds and it didn’t reappear until I got back to Liverton!

Very pleased to have been able to tick off an activation of High Willhays once more.

73, Colin

3 Likes

I’m doing G/DC-002 tomorrow to fill the gap in my SOTA collection which so far only has ticks against G/DC-001 and G/DC-003. :slight_smile:
It will have to be G/DC-004 next. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t you mean G/DC-008 which is is the SOTA summit that replaced G/DC-004 nearly 4 years ago?

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association Manager

1 Like

Well then, I hope to catch you this time to achieve a complet.

I am today on DM/BW-009… and also in 2m SSB

73 Armin

1 Like

Ha! I should have checked the numbering. :slight_smile: Someone has been stealing hills 004 to 005. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not “stealing” they “moved” it! If you search the reflector for “Hensbarrow” you will find out how and why it happened.

2 Likes

A tricky one “proper”. To me HF will work without going to a summit. So the “proper” use of a summit is for VHF up, where height and take off are radically altered for the better.

The use of HF and Satellite spreads SOTA fun to a wider area.

Glad you had a nice day and I to went via Yes Tor and visited the trig point and the summit shack.

The reciprocal of your photo.

Just my opinion !

BTW High Willhays is the County Top for Devon.

73 de

Andrew G4VFL

2 Likes

The other choice would have been to wait two more years for improved condx. :wink:
Hang on, the solar cycle and more experience will soon get you more qsos per minute.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like