HF Inverted V Link Dipole Design

Simple one for you guys. Where is there a link to the Link Dipole Design for SOTA…?

2E0XLG
N Yorkshire
IO83WW

In reply to M3XLG:
Imgur

In reply to G3CWI:

Cheers for that Richard. Anybody wants to make a link dipole here it is.
Great for Portable work.

73s 2E0XLG

In reply to M3XLG:

One thing to bear in mind when cutting one of these is that the resonant lengths vary depending upon the angle between the ends (as seen from above.) Not by a vast amount I’ll grant but the effect is potentially significant if you want to tune it for a particular part of the band. The nature and geometry of the ground will naturally also have an effect.

73 Rick M0RCP

In reply to M3XLG:

The other thing that can affect the antenna is mounting the antenna above a post and wire mesh fence, though this does have benefits for NVIS propagation. Contrary to popular convention, I have the apex of mine at 5m rather than the standard 7m fishing pole height and so the angle is shallow by comparison (i.e. more horizontal) and therefore is perhaps more prone to the effect of the fence.

One thing to remember is that if you are just operating HF and the summit is a peak rather than flat, then seek out flatter ground within the activation zone to set up the antenna. On peaky summits setting up the antenna can be a problem if you are intending to operate VHF as well as HF as you will want to set up as high as possible and the legs of the HF dipole will therefore have to be at a steeper angle which can affect the radiation pattern.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

rather than the standard 7m fishing pole height

Mine is normally between 4m and 4.5m as I only use a 5m pole. I have about 1.5m of 3mm nylon rope on each end of the dipole so again I think I have shallower angle than some. It seems to work.

In theory an inverted V should be omnidirectional. At times this is true, other times mine is very directional. This holds true whether I’m using a fence or guying the mast by itself. The only thing I can say for sure is that using the walking poles to elevate the ends of the dipole makes a real difference such that when the wind blows a walking pole over and one end of the dipole dips to near the ground the reduction if RX performance is immediately obvious.

Andy
MM0FMF

Can anyone post the dimensions of the link dipole, I cannot get the flickr.com site to load up.

I’m off to Islay for a week playing radio and I guess my usual 2mtr set-up may be struggling from up there, best be prepared to use H.F. to get the QSO’s.

Regards

Nick G0HIK

In reply to G0HIK:

this opens for me
Imgur

or try this from Carolyn G6WRW

Thanks for that Steve the first link opened no problem.

Regards

Nick