HF CW Radios

With a growing number of people realising the advantages of HF CW for portable operating, some may well be looking at the wide range of HF CW transceivers available. These are often a cheap way into HF although most offer only a few bands. Almost all of this class of radio are supplied as kits. Although most are simple (and fun) to build, many lack the confidence to tackle their construction. If anyone is in that position, I would be happy to help out by building the radio free-of-charge. Clearly such an offer has to be limited by my available time and anyone wishing to take it up should contact me first to discuss the choice of radio etc. Please also note that is not a general offer - it is only for SOTA participants (current or aspiring).

Examples of CW transceivers in use by SOTA people include the Elecraft KX1, The Blue Cool Radio and the oddly named Miss Mosquita. There are several others about. A search on Google will find these and most are available in Europe from:

I can be contacted via G3CWI@sota.org.uk

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard, I have been considering building a qrp cw transceiver for /p use and would appreciate your advice.

I have an ft-817nd, so ok for most common bands cw, but I fancy building one of the tobbacco tin type tranceivers for either 80m or 40m, as a project.
I’ll contact you shortly if that’s ok.

73 de Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

I’ll contact you shortly if that’s ok.

Of course - provided I survive today’s weather.

Richard
G3CWI