Helvellyn 28/06/2009

Decided to have a small walk today, So of i set for the lake district and in to Glenridding, Where i parked the car at a charge of £6-00 for 24 hours, A quick brew which was bought from Darrell’s cafe in Windermere, On with the boots and walking gear, I set off at 8-30bst through the plantation of Brownend, and around the other side of Birkhouse Moor, making my way up to Hole in the wall. The walk from Patterdale and Grisedale beck was hard as there was no wind, So everything was humid and dry, taking in loads of fluid’s and the scenery was just brilliant, once at hole in the wall i spent half hours rest before ascending the beast of Striding Edge, (photos on Flickr.com). Once i had got over Striding edge which was nerve racking, A short break and the scramble up the rough ridge to the summit, where i was met with a plague of George gough (i think) who met his death in 1850, A quick look for Charlie’s cache (sadly muggled) plus it was like a motorway, I set my self down to have lunch in between the trigpoint and the plague, And this is where i did my activation, First into the log was Rob g4rqj/p who was on Kirby Moor ld-049 for a summit to summit, Hope Audrey feels better soon. Then i called out on S20 where i was met by a handful of chasers, Thanks to Geoff g4wha for the spot and qso, In the log went g0tdm, g1ovp/p + g0hdx/p both on Aye gill pike np-023 for another summit to summit, g1ohh in Lancaster who struggled to get me (sorry) g4blah/p who was somewhere portable in Lancashire, and finally Steve m0igg from Walney island. At this time the low cloud rain spots came in and everyone started to put on their waterproof, (only a few spots). Thanks to one and all for the qso’s. Now to get down via Swirral edge, which is not as bad as i thought, over Catstye cam onto to Red tarn, where i had a short stop to take in the view of Helvellyn more photo’s, And which way do i get down i know down Glenridding beck, very nice to see the old lead mines and small waterfalls (but dry), past the youth hostel when i had to put the waterproofs on as the rain came down by the bucket full. Once at the car park into dry clothes and something to eat in the cafe close by, I can recommend the curry, (sweet potato, Chick pea and,spinach, yum yum the first curry with out meat, Then a nice drive back to Bolton i thought until i got to junction 33 where the traffic stopped, good old Nuvi/tom-tom got me around the situation, and onto the A575 Belmont road which was shut by accident, never mind still got home by 18-30bst, and a nice rest and cold beer from the fridge,
Thanks again to all whom was worked and look forward to the next time,
Steve m0sgb.

In reply to M0SGB:
Just uploaded some photo’s from yesterday’s activation,
Steve m0sgb