Help... SOTA Band choice

Hi All

I need some help… no really.

Having just built a Rock Mite and enjoyed it immensely, I am going to get myself an Elecraft K1 for QRP home use and hopefully SOTA activations. However I am torn about the version and bands to go for and use on SOTA.

I could have the 4 band version… but this does not cover 80m… and no I do not want to mess around getting the cover off and plugging in an alternative 2 band board… especially in the field.

…or I would go for a 2 band version and choose 80m and 40m.

Do you think the latter would work out given that I would then hopefully cover Europe and far flung UK on 40m and G-land on 80m?

What do you think? Do any of you use the K1? (note I have discounted the KX1 as I want to use it a lot at home too)

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

I used to have a K1 - excellent kit and good radio. For SOTA 40/80 would be a good choice. However note that the internal ATU option has a very limited matching range on 80m. You might also feel a bit left out if the USA or somewhere equally distant gets active - in that case you will be in a quandry about what other bands to select!

I had a 20/40 board and an 80/17 board for my K1 (that was before SOTA started).

Richard

In reply to G0AZS:

I used to have a K1 - excellent kit and good radio. For SOTA 40/80 would be a good choice. However note that the internal ATU option has a very limited matching range on 80m. You might also feel a bit left out if the USA or somewhere equally distant gets active - in that case you will be in a quandry about what other bands to select!

I had a 20/40 board and an 80/17 board for my K1 (that was before SOTA started).

Richard

PS I have done some activations with my Rockmite - quite successfully too.

Thanks Richard…

Based on your experience, do you think the internal ATU would match a 30m top (2 x 15M) NORCAL doublet? (with a 4:1 balun)

73 Marc G0AZS

PS It’s a 20m Rock Mite so I would need more distant chasers… hi

In reply to G0AZS:

Thanks Richard…

Based on your experience, do you think the internal ATU would match a
30m top (2 x 15M) NORCAL doublet? (with a 4:1 balun)

Probably not on 80m.

Richard

Marc

I should add that there was a review of the K1 in Radcom - September 2001.

Richard

Probably not on 80m.

Oh dear… then maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree… I really wanted a nice self contained station and thought it would make a good choice.

…and I’m told the KX1 ATU has an even smaller matching range so maybe I need to think “external ATU” (at least for 80M)

Thanks anyway… Marc G0AZS