Height points criteria

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

I think that comparisons of levels of year-on-year activity in individual associations is valid. This is something worth monitoring as it is an indicator of the overall health and growth of the programme.

Comparisons between different associations are not particularly valid, which I suspect are the comparisons you were alluding to.

Of course, it could be argued that it is exactly the same global SOTA playground for all of us.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom - Germany also includes DM association.

2004 61
2005 84
2006 92
2007 131
2008 134
2009 90
2010 89

It seems the “health” in DM has deteriorated lately.
Only change I`d support is a global 1 point for any summit and allow repeat activations.

In reply to G1INK:

Only change I`d support is a global 1 point for any summit and allow
repeat activations.

I don’t know, Steve, if Carnedd Llewellyn and Walton Hill both scored one point, I don’t think many people would drive up the A5!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Why cant repeat activations be allowed for the higher scoring summits say 3 times a year with a minimum gap of 10 or 12 weeks . May be a simple solution and keeps everyone happy , then 2 chances at the winter bonus and a nice summer visit.

G0TRB

In reply to G0TRB:

Why cant repeat activations be allowed for the higher scoring summits
say 3 times a year with a minimum gap of 10 or 12 weeks . May be a
simple solution and keeps everyone happy , then 2 chances at the
winter bonus and a nice summer visit.

I agree 100%, Roger. There are several bonus-eligible summits within reasonable travelling distance of my home, but I have already activated them in the first couple of months of 2010, so it would be pointless (in every sense of the word) to make the effort to activate them again in December. The same applies to more than 20 1-point summits located within my local travelling area. Therefore I have done no activations this month; I am waiting for New Year, then I can start earning activator points again!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

So, all the work I and others have done in the last 12 months on SOTA in our local areas, especially in NA, finding summits, detenining points etc… would have been done for nothing?

And those areas not blessed by 1000m and more summits would never be competitive?

Wow! This is the better way to get newbies out of bussiness here. Think very long before changing scoring table.

I sympathise but not to this point.

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,

I wasn’t making a comment on the levels of activity year-on-year - that will be what it is. IMHO there are too many external factors that can have an effect. No, I was just bemoaning the loss of what might be considered to be the prime directive - that SOTA is a personal goal and therefore cannot be not competitive, even though some seem to think that it is.

When I started back in February 2006, activating unique summits hooked me from the start. Activating got me around the country to parts I’d never otherwise have been and I’ve seen sights I’d never otherwise have seen. I didn’t even think about attaining Mountain Goat until I had several hundred points under my belt, in fact half-Goat was really when I looked up to see the possibility of attaining MG one day. I have never been averse to going for summits over points. We all come into SOTA looking for different things and end up doing it different ways. IMHO comparisons with other activators cannot be made.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to VA2SG:

In reply to G3NYY:

So, all the work I and others have done in the last 12 months on SOTA
in our local areas, especially in NA, finding summits, detenining
points etc… would have been done for nothing?

And those areas not blessed by 1000m and more summits would never be
competitive?

Wow! This is the better way to get newbies out of bussiness here.
Think very long before changing scoring table.

I sympathise but not to this point.

Sorry, I just don’t understand what your objection is. All I was proposing was that repeat activations of the same summit in a single year should count for points (say, up to three activations). I do not see how this would negate the work you have done in North America.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Walt, its was not a reply to you despite it showed like it was. I am against modifying points table but in favor of multiple activations of same summit in a calendar year.

In reply to G8ADD:

“I don’t know, Steve, if Carnedd Llewellyn and Walton Hill both scored one point, I don’t think many people would drive up the A5!”

Given the choice Brian, I`d go for Carnedd Llewellyn every time.

In reply to G1INK:

Me too, Steve, up Yr Elen to Llewellyn, over the Black Ladders to Daffydd and back down to Bethesda for a Jar, a dream of a day, but methinks it deserves more than one point!

Heavy snow showers, here, the world just turned white in less than ten minutes.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Heavy snow showers, here, the world just turned white in less than ten
minutes.

No snow here yet … but there’s so much frost on the ground and on top of cars that it looks like snow!

Temperature minus 5 C.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M1EYP:

… points = ASL height of summit, … can be awarded for every activation - so repeat activations within a calendar year are rewarded <

This was one of the conclusions from the last discussion on the same topic. The MT should to implement it.

Vlado, Z35M

In reply to Z35M:

In reply to M1EYP:

… points = ASL height of summit, … can be awarded for every
activation - so repeat activations within a calendar year are rewarded

Repeat activations would favour certain well known activators :slight_smile:
David g6lkb

1 Like

In reply to Z35M:

Vlado

I think the MT did announce an award based on those criteria a long while ago. It was to run alongside the current awards I think. It was so long ago that I can’t recall the details.#

Update - a search reveals that I seem to have imagined this!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to Z35M:

The MT should to implement it.

Easy to do. When you ask to see the Activator Scores and you select just one association it will display these new scores based on height. But when you ask to see all associations it will display a normalised score based on the current points per summit.

That way you will be able to see how well each activator is doing compared to other activators activating similar summits in the same association and when you want to see how well you are doing against activators all over the world with a different range of summits then the normalisation will make the comparisons more meanigful.

Of course, awards will be based on normalised scores.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6LKB:

Repeat activations would favour certain well known activators :slight_smile:

Not me sir! Nor several others I could mention. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to Z35M:

This was one of the conclusions from the last discussion on the same
topic. The MT should to implement it.

It may have been urged by one or two people but it was far from being a conclusion. In fact the only conclusion that can be drawn from these periodic discussions is that so few people express an opinion that it appears that the vast majority of participants are not interested in change.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to F5JKK:

Me, Eric F5JKK, being responsible for this application, I want to thank all the authors of different answers! I would like to end this dispute.
I did not trigger such a wave of rancor or resentful …
I do not want to call into question any result of this program which has the merit to exist and had to monopolize so much energy and time working personal.
However, I never questioned the work of the ARRL (I’m a humble user) for programs like DXCC or other, and yet I stay on my hunger on one of SOTA, even if it is born of an original idea and how legitimate, honestly, I think from what I read, and above all feel: that injustice, that the Earth are not the same everywhere.
Honestly if small steps are not done, the program will fall back into his corner, mostly English for English only. (self-partisan but if I may say so)
You can ban me from the group, I understand, but if it is a recurring discussion (seasonal some say), no problem I’m Eric F5JKK

PS: last example today:
worked F6HBI / P> … 1550m> 04 points
missed HA4FY / P> 815 + 964> 1779m> 18 points

Surely an impossible situation to resolve!

PS2: with all respect - truly

Merry christmas

In reply to F5JKK:

No problem, Eric, people are passionate about SOTA, and their passion leads to strong opinions. This is not a bad thing as long as the rules of the reflector are observed!

The interesting thing to me is how well a program devised originally in Britain for the British (and not England for the English!) has fitted so many countries around the world. There are undeniably problems when you have countries like France and Germany which have both low lands and alpine mountains, and my personal opinion is that the Germans came up with the best solution to date.

73 and Happy Xmas

Brian G8ADD