Hand Helds with APRS

Some people have a digipeater installed which receives the packet that the APRS radio sends. The digipeater then re-transmits it to an Igate which uploads it on the internet. It’s a really good way to track people when phones aren’t an option. I have a digipeater at home and a licensed Igate which I’m going to install again very soon, once I’ve moved. I think more operators should install them, great for tracking us SOTA activators.

2 Likes

Did that ages ago, wasn’t sure if I needed to do that again as my 878UVII radio sent my APRS out as 2E0CPX-7 wasn’t sure if the -7 made a difference? Just discovered that the two nearest APRS iGates which were receive only have been switched off, I need to convince the local repeater keeper to put his APRS IGate back on the air!

2 Likes

There was a spate of Rx only APRS iGates coming on air, unfortunately, most were just those Noolec SDR’s connected to a Rasberry Pi and connected only to a piece of wire so their Rx footprint was extremely small, most of these now seem to be disappearing as the SDR’s get used for something else!

2 Likes

If you want to make an old-school stand alone APRS station I have a G0BSX TNC-2 kit (PCB, component set, extremely rare MODEM chip and can burn EPROMs). I happy to donate this to someone who will build it (trivial all big wire ended components) and use it for APRS.

2 Likes

My RX only Igate is via an SDR and a Pi via a spare 2m antenna (in the loft) and I get a few hits a month.

1 Like

My APRS infrastructure covers hilltops over much of the South Pennines, North Wales, Mid Wales and Welsh Borders. My digipeater MB7VK is part time at the moment but will soon be 24/7. It had an antenna upgrade a week ago which has made it even better. If you do have a handy with APRS, it’s well worth trying for SOTA.

It always surprises me how many people buy high end handies with APRS and just use them on 2m FM.

7 Likes

The Yaesu models I use have separate settings for walking, cycling and driving. You can easily choose whichever is appropriate and can tweak the settings individually. The default walking configuration seems to work well for my own speed and manoeuvrability.

3 Likes

Which models do you use ?

1 Like

I have FT1X and FT3. The FT2 setup will be the same as the FT3. FT5 looks much the same too. I think the older models (VX8) don’t do SmartBeaconing (?)

4 Likes

I have an IGate set up at home too listening for beacons/messages although I think the only SOTA activator it has received is me.

The D878-UVII Plus handheld (with the latest firmware update) will receive/decode position messages and it flashes up on the display with position, distance, bearing, callsign, speed etc. although I don’t know what you’re supposed to do with it unless you’re avoiding a stalker carrying and APRS transmitter.

4 Likes

I think you are underestimating the value of your igate Pete. So far in June it has sent nearly 900 position packets from 16 unique stations. That’s a valuable contribution. Thanks!

4 Likes

I have Kenwood D74, D72, Yaesu FT3D and Anytone 878 Mk II Plus - would rate them in this order as to ease of use from best to worse for APRS use

D74
D72
FT3

Last time I tried to spot via APRS (Using D74) on Corndon GW-MW-013 I had problems with so many incomming packets as I was trying to select the pre-programmed message I had set up for APRS2SOTA. Have now programmed a memory channel with a split RX/TX freq that TX on 144.800 so that will avoid that problem hopefully.

3 Likes

One thing to throw in the balance in considering a Yaesu FT5D is that there now seems to be a widespread problem of the case developing a crack behind the PTT button. I bought a FT-5DR because of Yeasu’s reputation of having a tough build, but after six months the radio has developed such a crack (see below). While the radio has been subjected to the normal rigors of dozens of SOTA activations, it has never been dropped or otherwise egregiously abused. A LOT of people are now reporting this problem. All-in-all I would’ve preferred a Kenwood TH-D74A if that company was showing any signs of life.

Another country heard from,
Eric KG6MZS

2 Likes

An update:

I have made the move and ordered the FT3D. Now I need to get used to it!
Thanks all for the advice.

3 Likes

That is a bit worrying considering how much the radio costs! I was considering this as 1. I want a radio that does Fusion 2. a radio that has analogue APRS capability.

My Anytone 878UVII is currently not being used due to the latest firmware has fouled up and it looks like i have to start from scratch with loading repeaters, talk groups and even setting APRS up! One radio to avoid!

3 Likes

I am looking at an alternative to APRS for spotting whilst on HF, I will report back when I get time to try it!

2 Likes

Classic stress fracture. Probably caused by great big hairy old blokes squeezing like mad on the PTT and the case being just a touch too flexible at that point. :slight_smile:

Probably needs just a little bit of case stiffening inside to fix on new cases. And a little of glue applying on old units. Shouldn’t happen but it has.

2 Likes

Never won a thumb wrestle in my life :wink:

2 Likes

Okay all - it looks like what I thought were cracks in the case turn out to be molding artifacts and not cracks at all. This was a bit of a tempest in a teacup over on the FT5DR i/o group. Here is the response from Yaesu and a photo:

photo-2

2 Likes

Hello!

Buy HG-UV98 (handheld with APRS). Chiper than another TRX, no problem with Bluetooth with aprsdroid ( easy write sms to aprs2sota , aprs2dx, aprs2gma).

Look on aprs.fi SQ8JMZ-7

Robert SQ8JMZ

2 Likes