HAM-spirit?

Today, a lot of chasers are waiting to contact an activator on DM/NS-125 but this OM sent QRT and was gone. I hope, i don’t do that on my activations. Dear OM, this is not fair.
HB9CMI

In reply to HB9CMI:

I understand the reason for your comment Peter. The spots were 09:46 14MHz, 10:04z 10MHz and 10:06 7MHz. Overall not a very long activation, but we have to accept what the activator offers. Maybe the QRT was because of bad weather, maybe for another reason, but it is always up to the activator.

73, Gerald

In reply to DL0QW:

In reply to G4OIG:

We have perfect WX in DM/NS. Maybe a little bit too warm. But there
must be a reason, because nobody of the SOTA community announces
her/his activation in the alert-section and closes the station after 4
QSO with intent. Maybe she/he will find in the next activation no more
chasers :wink:

73, Mario

But they do, Mario, that’s why I coined the expression “smash-and-grab activation” some years ago! However, a multi-band activation is unlikely to be an intentional smash-and-grab, so perhaps the OP had a technical problem.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to DL0QW:

Hi Mario,

her/his activation in the alert-section and closes the station after 4
QSO with intent. Maybe she/he will find in the next activation no more

I have done this already. Once I did QRT after 1 QSO, an other time after 2 QSOs and I have done activations with only 4 QSOs. More details are in my activation reports. But then you can not expect that the chasers are QRV 24h/24h 7j/7j and HF is never 100 % reliable on QRP. But then it has been a great surprise to me how well all this works after all.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

I understand the reason for your comment Peter. The spots were 09:46
14MHz, 10:04z 10MHz and 10:06 7MHz. Overall not a very long
activation, but we have to accept what the activator offers. Maybe the
QRT was because of bad weather, maybe for another reason, but it is
always up to the activator.

True. It never ceases to surprise me how different the WX can be at a summit. In perfectly clear conditions, high wind speeds are not unusual.

Also, maybe it wasn’t a very long activation, but when you are calling and getting no answers, it seems like a very long time - whatever the clock says! I called and called on 5MHz on Sunday afternon with no response. It was probably only for five minutes but it seemed more like twenty five. Unusually, I only got four takers on 2m in 25 minutes of calling. Where was everyone?

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Also, maybe it wasn’t a very long activation, but when you are calling
and getting no answers, it seems like a very long time - whatever the
clock says! I called and called on 5MHz on Sunday afternon with no
response. It was probably only for five minutes but it seemed more
like twenty five. Unusually, I only got four takers on 2m in 25
minutes of calling. Where was everyone?

73, Richard

Well, I can’t speak for other people, Richard, but on all HF bands 160m - 10 metres I was listening to S9+ hash all weekend, it was still S7 on 6 metres and even on two metres the noise floor was more like a terrazzo! The neighbours plasma TV is the probable culprit as it suddenly went back to normal at the end of the FI program only to return about an hour later for the rest of the evening.

Sometimes I despair…

Brian G8ADD

…went back to normal at the end of the F1 program only to
return about an hour later for the rest of the evening.

I didn’t think of that! No dedication, eh? SOTA activation whilst the race was on. I did have my 'phone on just in case. Honest.

73, Richard