Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen

A little question to everybody. Who will come to Friedrichshafen this year?

73’s,
Ralf DH3IAJ

In reply to DH3IAJ:

I’ll be there. Only missed it once in the last 16 years.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I will be there…

kurt HB9AFI

In reply to DH3IAJ:

I hope to go on the Friday, but this year I may drive rather than fly.
Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

I hope to go on the Friday, but this year I may drive rather than fly.

Aha!! Aiming to visit a few French summits en-route??

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Hopefully Les - if my trip comes off, I hope to Eurostar to Paris then drive to Friedrichshafen & maybe do a summit or two in the Vosges region. I also hope to do a couple of DM/BWs as well. Having said this - Id better ask the boss for time off :wink:

73 Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:
Ask your boss, Steve. If you will come, give me a note, so perhaps Klaus and myself will accompany you during your DM/BW tour :wink:

73’s,
Ralf DH3IAJ

In reply to G3VQO & DH3IAJ:

Les - change of plan! I was under the impression I could take my car on the Eurostar train to Paris & drive off the other end - I now know I cant. I have now booked Eurotunel to Calais which means much more driving. The Vosges region is out, so it looks like Ill cross into DL further North & may activate a couple of summits up there - maybe Saarland/Eifel areas.

Ralf, thanks for your kind offer, however I only have 5 days (Wednesday to Sunday) and with the amount of driving from near Manchester to Fhafen & back, I think it would not be possible to arrange anything. I will attend the show on Friday, possibly activate in DM/BW on Saturday, then drive back to Calais on Sunday. Hope to meet some SOTA people in Fhafen.

73 Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

I was under the impression I could take my car on the Eurostar train to
Paris & drive off the other end - I now know I can`t.

That is a surprisingly widespread misapprehension - you are not alone!

I have now booked Eurotunel to Calais which means much more driving.
The Vosges region is out, so it looks like I`ll cross into DL further
North & may activate a couple of summits up there - maybe
Saarland/Eifel areas.

Although the autoroute via Lille and into Belgium is free-of-charge, it is an unattractive route, at least until you reach the Ardennes. The cost benefits attract a large number of HGVs from all over Europe, which makes for tiring driving, especially in inclement weather. Why not use the A26 - A4 combination from Calais, and cross into Germany near Strasbourg (after passing through the Northern Vosges)? The scenery is much prettier, and there is far less traffic in my experience. Of course, it is péage, so it may decrease your spending power when you get to Friedrichshafen!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to DH3IAJ:

Hi Ralf, I go to Fried 2007
73 laurent F8BBL
and also : Thu 21st Jun 2007
10:00 DL/F8BBL/P DM/BW-108 7.032-cw,10.118-cw,14.060-cw FT817, 5W, Dipole

In reply to G3VQO:

Hi Les - I had looked at that route & may well take your advice. Calais - Strasbourg is approx 615km & 42.10 euro tolls. I`ll need to drink lots of coffee on this trip.
73 Steve.

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to DH3IAJ:

I’ll be there. Only missed it once in the last 16 years.

Andy
MM0FMF

Andy - any plans to activate anything whilst there?
Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

Having just come back from Poland, we used the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam. Its overnight but plenty of facilities on board (bars and entertainment etc). Not sure of the route from there to Friedrichshafen, but its easy access to quite a few motorways.

I think they also do a Hull-Zebrugge too.

Buxton to Hull is a lot easier to drive than to Dover :slight_smile:

Ian

In reply to G1INK:

Andy - any plans to activate anything whilst there?

Not really. I only intend to activate the bar :slight_smile:

I’m flying Edinburgh>Munich then hiring a car and driving in this year. I’ll be there from Thursday evening till Sunday afternoon.

We need to arrange a time and place at the rally for everyone to meet up. Probably somewhere near where all the national societies have their stands. Any suggestions?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G7ADF:

Thanks for the info Ian, Im aware of the North Sea Ferry routes as I used to use them all the time whilst in the army. Although Dover is a long drive, I will be leaving at night when the roads should be ok for a clear run down & hopefully activate SE-015 before booking in to the Channel tunnel. Also Calais is handy for the autoroute direction SW, which is basically where I want to go. Hope you enjoyed Poland. Andy FMF, Ive looked on the Messe website for the exhibitors & cant see anything for SOTA DL - thats where we met last year & it was very near the society stands. Lets wait & see who else is going then we may have a better idea of whats going on. Ill probably have my 2m handy with me in the hall anyway.

73 Steve G1INK.

In reply to G1INK:

There is no booth of SOTA DL like the last years. There will be a lecture of Matthias DL1JMS on Saturday afternoon 3 p.m., see following link: http://www.hamradio-friedrichshafen.de/html/en/basics/lectures/lectures.php?id=1

We can meet us there and talk about whats going on then. Glad to see some of you there.

73’s, Ralf DH3IAJ

In reply to G1INK:

Steve, if you happen to drive through LX (you would, if you decide to use the less expensive and faster route through ON to Strasbourg), you may stop at my place for a short break.

I won’t go to FN this year. No business to do this time.

73 Norby

In reply to LX1NO:

Norby, thanks for the generous offer, however I will be driving 2500km+ in 5 days so it would really be irresponsible for me to make arrangements. I will just have to “go with the flow” - tnx Steve.

In reply to G1INK:

Ok, have a save trip. Maybe I hear the roaring sound of the engine when you’re passing my front door :wink:

73 Norby

In reply to DH3IAJ:

Hi Ralf

I will be there on Saturday/Sunday. Arriving Friday evening and travelling with Mike G4BLH.

See you there.

73 John GW4BVE