GW/SW for a Few Days

Taking the caravan down to the Gower on Wednesday for a few days, which will probably be our last trip this year. GW/SW-021, 028, 029, 031, 032, 036, 038 and 040 are all nearby, but, as the summits section has no notes for any of them, we’ll have to see how they look when we get there. 40M ssb as GW6DTN/P, and 2M ssb/fm as MW0DFA/P to see if I can get the last 3 properly qualified summits I need to get to 100.

Hope to work some of you, but with the Brecon Beacons in the way, VHF may be a bit difficult.

73s, Dave

In reply to M0DFA:

21, 29 & 32 would be very welcome!!!

73 John GW4BVE

Most of those would be very welcome here, but I doubt if 40m will make it, 80m perhaps ??

73, Mike G4BLH

In reply to GW4BVE: Noted, John. Hope your injury mends soonest. Wx forecast looking good.

Regards, dave

In reply to G4BLH: Noted that none of these summits are very popular - perhaps I’m about to find out why. I’ve seen the comments about using 80M in the winter months in another thread, but I’m not on 80M yet, until I can find enough real estate to trim my multi-band inverted ‘V’ dipole. Home QTH has my permanent inverted ‘V’ doublet AND overhead power lines which confound any attempts to trim anything. Now if the caravan site isn’t too busy AND the WX dissuades my XYL from wanting to take ‘marine therapy’ AND the shops are within walking distance, I might be able to adjust the thing while we are away. That being said, I’ve tried on our last 3 trips and havn’t found time or space yet.

Hope to catch you

Dave

In reply to M0DFA:

Call in here on the way down and we will have the 80 dipole adjusted in 20 mins.

5MHz has been good over the last few days, but no guarantees that will continue.

73 John GW4BVE

In reply to M0DFA:

I’m not on 80M yet, until I can find enough real estate to trim my multi-band inverted ‘V’ dipole.

All I can say here is that after spending eight hours messing about making and tuning my first multiband dipole for the second I cut each piece to the sizes John GW4BVE has in his diagram on Fickr and every band was blob on with no futher tuning required. Start to finish took 30 minutes and testing was completed in well under the hour including the drive to a field where I had enough room for the 80m section.

Hope to work you on some of these
Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M0DFA:

Will also be in GW/SW from Wednesday - wx looking gud!
Hoping for 1/2 summits en route to caravan nr Talgarth, then Thursday SW-021
This time am approaching from Crynant, into the forest and then South towards the trig - for info, already activated from the South but route blocked by new fencing! - also tried from West/North with no results - not an easy one!
(Alistair VMZ and John BVE - hope for success - will have 80m again)

Dave, will try and put some route/parking info to SW summits - we might meet and hope to work S2S

73s de Peter TJE+

In reply to G3TJE:

It will be interesting to see how you get on Peter. I was planning to attack this from the bridleway that passes Pen-twyn to the south-west of the summit, but assume that this is the blocked route.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3TJE: Many thanks for the summit details, Peter. Look forward to an S2S if our activations coincide. I’m sure one of the chasers will let us know, and we’ll both QSY (HI!)