GW-SW-004 attempt 3rd August 2007

Many thanks to John, GW4BVE for the spot. Apologies to chasers looking for me either from the spot or the alert, but after 20 minutes calling in the wind-driven rain with no further QSOs I gave up. It’s a local hill for me so I’ll try to activate it again in better weather.

73s

Neil MW0ECX

In reply to MW0ECX:

Sorry to hear about the difficulties Neil - I suppose the timing had quite a lot to do with the lack of activity. Presumably you travelled light and did not have the 290 and linear with you since the spot was for 2m FM.

I always take a bit of power with me since my MO is to qualify summits on 2m, but I seem to recall that you do not set yourself this constraint, so maybe taking HF would be a good idea next time.

73, Gerald

Hello, Gerald

I didn’t have the 290, but did have the linear. However I didn’t get it out beacause I’m not sure how waterproof it is - it was very fine driven rain up there. It’s a local summit for me and I can always pop up there - this was by way of a casual activation - I might save it now for a SOTA fun night.

Since then I’ve had a great weekend in the lakes with my family and another family during which I managed to activate Scafell Pike, Harter Fell and Hard Knott - all on 2m fm (no ssb) I’m afraid as I needed to carry gear for my family as well. I’m hoping to be up in North Wales next week - Tuesday, Wednesday and possibly active on Monday evening as well and will be operating 2m SSB as well as fm from some of the larger hills there, weather and circumstances permitting. I’ll try and arrange to be on a summit during SOTA fun night as part of this trip, so perhaps we’ll QSO.

BTW I’ve seen references to spotlite - I guess I need email or internet access from my mobile phone to use this?

73s

Neil MW0ECX

In reply to MW0ECX:

BTW I’ve seen references to spotlite - I guess I need email or
internet access from my mobile phone to use this?

Internet access - I just got a new phone for the very purpose and it works very well. Check out the details of SPOTlite on the main SOTA site at Summits on the Air I am just keeping my figures crossed I have mobile network coverage in Scotland for my two week trip.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to MW0ECX:

Hi Neil,

Okay on the linear. Well mine has got soaked a couple of times without any lasting effect, but as you saw, I now have it in a box which houses the cable linkages that I need for running the QRO linear and / or 70cms linear. It also acts as a “bench” for the rig - useful on grassy summits or where there aren’t any convenient flat topped stones.

Fine on the recent summits - I noted you were being spotted. I hope you have equal success in North Wales.

With regards to Spotlite, this is specifically for use with mobile phones. The newer phones with internet access get straight to the site. With my old one I had to use a programme called Opera Mini to get access. There is a posting on the old Yahoo reflector about it if you want to check it out.

Hopefully catch you on 2m SSB next week.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG and GW7AAV:

Many thanks for the info on spotlite. I’ll look into whether my phone does GPRS (it’s pretty old). Best of luck in Scotland, Steve.

73s

Neil MW0ECX