Gw/nw-070 & gw/nw-062

GW/NW-070 Great Orme

I had planned another trip to Great Orme GW/NW-070 for some time and decided on the spur of the moment to go for it yesterday.
The wx looked promising and I was fed up in the house, so my rucksack was packed and off I went.
Travelling down the A55, I heard Tony G1JCW/P calling cq sota from Pendle Hill G/SP-005 and then Mick 2E0HJD answer his cq and qsy to 145.475. I called in and managed to work Tony 59 both ways, not bad while /M

On arrival at Llandudno it was obvious that the tourist season is now in full flow, this was made even more obvious on The Great Orme summit itself with “Muggles” in abundance.
I considered setting up at the trig, but had to decide against it, with so many tourists about, it would have been to risky setting up the linked dipole, so I opted to go on a small hillock near the trig.

My initial calls on 2-fm/ssb only brought in 1 contact, even after many cq calls, so I decided to qsy to FE on 5 Mhz.
Again, only 1 station was heard, Brian G4ZRP on The Wirral, very strange indeed for 5 Mhz.

At this point I disconnected the 60M powerpole link on the dipole and tried 40M CW, what a pleasant surprise, the floodgates opened and 7 DXCCs were worked. CW won the day over yet again.

I presumed that the transmitter masts were having a dramatic effect on any FM/SSB comms, so decided to pack the HF antenna away and go to the Eastern side of the Orme and more inland away from the masts, this did the trick as far as 2-fm/ssb was concerned, with 12 of the regulars worked on both FM and SSB.

If anyone else intends to activate this summit, a couple of points which might help…if you have any bandpass filters, take them with you, alternatively, activate as far away from the transmitter masts as possible.

Also be aware that the car park is pay and display at the current cost of £1 for 2 hours & £1.70 for 4 hours, the machine accepts £1, 50p, 20p, and 10p coins.
A country park warden patrols the car park regularly and will issue a parking ticket (not sure what the Fine is) without any hesitation to those who dont display a pay and display ticket on there vehicle.
The automatic ticket vending machine is quite easily missed, it is situated on the immediate right as you enter the car park, on the gable end of the stone built building.

GW/NW-062 Hope Mountain

On my way home, I popped up to Hope Mountain, my local summit for a very quick activation, with a view to getting back home, calling at the chippy, then relaxing in front of the telly to watch the Champions League final.
8 quick contacts were made on 2M-fm, then I headed for home, the chippy and the match.
All in all a great day out and all went well, except the result of the footy that is.

PS, the good news, I found my rubber duck belonging to the FT-60. I had lost it on my last activation of Hope Mountain.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Well done at finding that rubber duck. Don’t worry, you’re not the only one at losing things. Thanks for the 2pts. I’m now clinging to the radio more than ever for that 1pt to my 500.

73’s

M3TMX Jordan

In reply to M3TMX:

I might do an evening one on NW-062 so keep your eye on the spots and s20

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I’ll be out at 6:00 for scouts but I’ll do my best.

Thanks

M3TMX Jordan