GW/NW-043 and X-510, Quick Report

The first mistake I made was to follow the satnavs directions, as it seemed to take me on a right convoluted journey. Arrived at the Ponderosa and parked in the space opposite, as the cafe has a notice saying 2 hour parking limit. Anyway, the first thing I noticed on unloading the car was one of my gloves was missing…great.

Undeterred, I pressed on and made my way up the path of GW/NW-043. Now there are those who would cry “easy activation” and there are those who dragged up a rucksack and antennas weighing well over 40 pounds, who would disagree.

Anyway, I decided because the X-510 was attached to a ten foot pole, it would be easier to bungee it to one of the fence posts a few hundred metres past the last radio tower …not too easy given the wind conditions! The first contact was made on 2m ssb with 2W0CYM Alun, in Caernarfon at 0842z. This was followed by another eleven contacts in quick succession, the furthest being G0RQL Don in Devon. Qsying to FM produced 64 contacts with another 4 on SSB in between. The last contact with M0YDH in Wolverhampton at at 1353z, made a grand total of 80 for the day. There was a total of four S2S, Dave M0TUB/P on G/SP-005 Pendle Hill, Peter M1PTR/P on G/LD-001 Scafell Pike, Phil G1OPV/P on G/LD-017 Red Screes and finally, Alan M1EYO/P on G/LD-050 Gummer’s How. Now I realise, that for me to go qrt this early is unusual but with the onset of drizzle and a 5am start required for the Dunstable Rally, I figured this was the best course of action.

As for the performance of the X-510, well, the signal reports on FM were generally excellent, however, I doubt the X-300 would have fared any worse. My summary of the day… In a nutshell, disappointing not only in terms of contact numbers but the overall distances achieved. Maybe conditions were a bit flat, but when it comes to radio, who knows?

With the “possible” exception of one more experiment on Shining Tor, I won’t be using the X-510 /P any time soon. Maybe this will be the last “off the wall” thing I’ll do with Amateur Radio, then again, I wouldn’t bet on it :wink:

Many thanks to all the chasers who took the time and made the effort to contact me. I look forward to hopefully working you again, on a joint activation with M6MGB, from the summit of G/SP-002 Black Hill, this coming Saturday.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

A contact from Cyrn-y-Brain to Devon on 2m with cross-polarised antennas is nothing to be sneezed at Mike. I’ll have a look at mapping this over the coming days as I’m interested to see what it’s like.

A comparison from another site with the same antenna would be useful should you fancy lugging it somewhere again. I’ll map it and we can visually compare the results. Of course that wont take propagation differences into account.

(Just watching the world scoot past the 2nd floor office window. Wind is blowing hard again and it’s raining. Lot’s of leaves and branch debris in the air as the office is situated by a mixed deciduous / Scot’s Pine wood.)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Does the X300 do 70cms at all Mike or is it a 2m only job?

If so I would be intrigued to see how it goes at 70cms!! Maybe worth a go next trip up SP/004, I reckon with a beam I could work you on 70cms SSB!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

A contact from Cyrn-y-Brain to Devon on 2m with cross-polarised
antennas is nothing to be sneezed at Mike. I’ll have a look at mapping
this over the coming days as I’m interested to see what it’s like.

Cheers Andy.

A comparison from another site with the same antenna would be useful
should you fancy lugging it somewhere again. I’ll map it and we can
visually compare the results. Of course that wont take propagation
differences into account.

Ok, purely in the interest of radio and despite what I’ve just said, I’ll sort a summit out within the next few weeks or so. Open to suggestions here. Wouldn’t be too keen on G/LD-001 though :wink:

(Just watching the world scoot past the 2nd floor office window. Wind
is blowing hard again and it’s raining. Lot’s of leaves and branch
debris in the air as the office is situated by a mixed deciduous /
Scot’s Pine wood.)

Just been out and cut the branches of the tree limb that fell in my neighbours garden. They can even get in and out of their side gate now. Mind you, my neighbours rabbits are having a feast and they’ll be well disappointed once it has been removed.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Yup, the manufacturer claims a gain figure of 11.7db on 70cm…

If so I would be intrigued to see how it goes at 70cms!! Maybe worth a
go next trip up SP/004, I reckon with a beam I could work you on 70cms
SSB!

OK Matt, I’ll try and sort something out …maybe a 70cm activation the weekend after next, then we can try both ssb and fm.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Yup, the manufacturer claims a gain figure of 11.7db on 70cm…

http://www.sharman-multicom.co.uk/SHARMAN-S-X-510N-2M-70CM-DUAL-BAND-BASE-ANTENNA.2.html?last=24

Oops, I used the X-510 on Saturday, sorry for confusion.

However as you can see the X-300 has good “claimed” gain figures on both 2m and 70cm also.

Mike

2E0YYY

I haven’t analysed it topographically, but anecdotal evidence suggests a decent path to the south from NW-043. I have worked Devon and several of the South Wales summits from there in the past - on 2m FM with 5 watts.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:
Don’t encourage him folks…Mikes just a bit annoyed as he did’nt have his donkey (me) with him to carry all his stuff. If I had been available I am sure that this would have been one of his best activations ever!!! :slight_smile:

Mind you - even Donkey gets a bit miffed lugging 1x FT857, 1x 20AHr Slab, 1x 4AHr slab, 2x chairs, lunch and a huge flask neally as big as Mick (not that difficult), 10 feet of steel pipe, 21 feet of aerial, coaxes and plugs, atu, microphone and log books, maps, donkeys own radio equipment usually including an HF antenna and pole, kitchen sink, tent, spare 20amp battery just in case etc etc etc.

Mikes SOTA activations are never just a quick stroll up a hill with a handy - more of an exhibition to behold. Chasers - you have no idea!

Thing is, I happen to like Mike and Mike’s enthusiasm is infectious. You’ve got to help a friend out would’nt you agree? eee aaw! :slight_smile:

In reply to G1STQ:

Thing is, I happen to like Mike and Mike’s enthusiasm is infectious.

Thanks for the warning. I must remember to bring an alcohol handwash with me at all times in case we meet.

Richard
G3CWI