GW/NW-039 Foel Goch, Swarms of Flies!

Activation Report for Foel Goch,GW/NW-039 28/06/2009

Hi All

4 Pointers and Good Weather go together like Sheep and Heather!

One of three four pointer GW/NW summits on my list to do asap ( the other two being Carnedd y Filiast and Cyrniau Nod) we decided to do this one first as walk in looked steep but short. Set off as usual, early enough to have a steady walk in from Car space,we followed A55 then A483 past Wrexham then a bit of A5 before taking down some " lovely Welsh lanes" as Mrs C calls them.

Got to What we thought was Richards TomTom arrival point only to find no sign of Ceseilgwm gate. Further investigation and asking a local we found the gate we arrived at just as road ends is the first of two you need to go through. so go through 1st gate you arrive at then keep right rising to another gate go through this one and then gate to Ceseilgwm is on right park just after this gate on grass verge. walking from here continuing to keep right don’t follow main rocky path but take right hand overgrown tractor path, meet another gate after going through trees,loads of sheep in here. follow a path towards summit ahead the path disappears in places. If you keep left you pass a sheep fold and tractor path continues in places it vanishes so follow it gingerly until you arrive at gate 3 from car. go through this and then turn right towards summit. Ascent gets steep but eventually arriving at Trig with its Gravestone style tablet and pile of Stones.

I left poor Elaine to just follow in my footsteps as time had become tight for alert. set up 2m beam as Mrs C arrived. she quickly set up camp for brew as I got 897 connected(I had sent selfspot 15mins earlier to hopefully get a pile up when I shouted.) Small pile up ensued When 2E0PXW came in first and I got his call wrong before being helped to make sure I got it right. Heard my old mate Bill G4USW shouting desperately, I knew he had the Grandkids to look after so put him in front of the other chasers,thanks to others for letting me work him 1st!!

Regular Mike G4BLH from Nelson made it No4 thanks Mate. GW0DSP next asking if I had fell out with him,NO CHANCE Mike,just thought it would be a bit of fun to make you wait a bit!!! some other regulars came in including G3OHC,G0TRB and G0SLR. Then worked two calls unique to my Log G1OHH & G2BOF, never worked a G1 or G2 before as far as I know? Thanks to Sue & David for the uniques!! Total 14 Contacts on 2M SSB,went quiet and so had a bite to eat and shouted on 432.200,even sending in spot? Nothing ,10 more mins shouting and still 70cm SSB not a whisper?? Switched to 6M SSB not expecting much and to my frustration nothing here either ( No Magic Band again) where is Cadair Berwyn success when you need it? 20 mins after going round 70cm and 6M,we packed away and decided to get back home earlier than planned.

More frustration as we headed down I decided to get some Chit-Chat on my VX5R which is my latest purchase, half way down summit(WELL OUT OF AZ!!!) I heard Rob on 2M FM saying he was up Kirby Moor NO S2S Again!!! Did get well into GB3PZ with the VX5 speaking to M0GMG/M and also listening to an American on a Digi Node in it. Not in Log for obvious reasons but a good test of the VX5 with its supplied Rubber Duck!!!

Overall my Report is: Enjoyable summit to go up and down and Excellent views while up there of Bala Lake and next weekends summit Carnedd Y Filiast. Path is not a distinctive one but got there in the end. Extra Large Flies swarming when on way up ,while at Trig and on way down. Ended up with six bites on my arms,but a nice summit to do!! Thanks for all who worked me, with Surrey being longest distance. All calls logged in Database and photos on Flicker as usual( Mrs C is getting better at taking them dont you think??)

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

A very interesting report Tony. Brought back memories for me, though I had to wade through a foot or so of snow to get to the summit when I activated that one and I completely lost the feeling in both my feet. Probably would still prefer that to biting insects!

Sorry to hear that 70cms SSB was not playing ball from the summit. I noted the spot, but unfortunately my QTH is shielded westwards and I didn’t have a chance to take the kit out portable. Maybe an alert to say you are going to use the band will help warn those with 70cms equipment of your intentions.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Thanks for your quick reply Gerald, I have to disagree I prefer good weather (even with its flies) to Snow,must be my Greek blood!!??

I have to say I did put an alert to having a go at 70cm aswell as 2&6 on this one for today, so no excuse HiHi.

I always try to do 70cms as often as possible if only to get on your list, HiHi.

I even set up my 6 ele beam for 70cm so was hoping for more than I got?

Never mind at least I got to qualify the Summit,hoping for better luck on NW-032 next Sunday?? ( I will be trying 70cm again so make sure you listen out for me HiHi)

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi Tony, great report, that’s one we also contemplated doing in the near future. We were out on Saturday (WB-003) but so missed you by a day for that s2s :frowning: Unable to get out on the Sunday due to other commitments. Hope to catch you next weekend for the s2s if you do Carnedd-y-Filiast. Will also be qrv on 432 next time.

73 de Chris M1DTJ

In reply to M1DTJ:

Thanks Chris,will listen out for you from Carnedd y Filiast, maybe I will try 4m also?

Tony

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Tony, no 4m at the moment unfortunately but it is on the cards in the near future when I get time to construct a suitable, portable antenna.

73 Chris

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Hi Tony,

Nice photos - I didn’t recognise the summit in all its greenery! I know what you mean about dire weather - a pleasant warm sunny day is always the best, but being allergic to the biting insects is always a problem for me if the weather brings them out. I’ve still got a few sub-Marilyns on my arms from last Thursday! Hi!

I’m not sure I will be QRV next Sunday as there is a family birthday event on. I might be able to get out if we are planning the get together for late afternoon - it all depends on what my social secretary arranges! If I don’t get out, I hope you have success from Carnedd y Filiast. I’m looking forward to your report as I have that down as a potential winter bonus jaunt.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

HI Gerald,

Bites have all but disappeared today.

I will be using Rick’s (GW0VMW) route plan as it looks quite easy to follow,he says it took 90 mins so we are planning for 120 mins to trig/shelter.

I have just spotted on another thread,that its 2m backpacker contest on Sunday so should be OK for 4 qualifying contacts at least? Will have the beams for 2m & 70cm and wire dipoles for 4m & 6m. See how it goes?

Hoping for at least one S2S, Fingers crossed??

Tony

Hi Tony,

MW0IDX’s name is Roger, not Rick.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for spotting that, I have changed my reply to the correct callsign.

This is what happens as you get older, to some of us anyway!! HiHi

Hope to catch you S2S on Sunday from LD I see you have alerted same time as us?

Take Care

tony