Gun SP-013 2010

In reply to M1EYP:
Quote: QRS is not an issue or FMF style CW either! :wink:

Is this a variation on the standard set by Samuel Morse? Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

…I think that you will find the the Morse code that we use today is a variation on that developed by Samuel Morse. Tom’s late-night, post-pub, Morse is yet another variant (with more dots).

http://chss.montclair.edu/~pererat/percode.htm

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M0GIA:

Sean, it’s Nike time.

“Just do it!”

The feeling of elation you get sitting up on a summit when you complete the 4th QSO on the key is utterly sublime.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
It is Nike time Andy, your right “Just do it” is the only way to get started. Away this weekend visiting family in an unfamiliar area so intend on doing a bit chasing Sunday if i can.

Thanks for the history lesson Richard, I thought the we used Samuel Morse’s version now, Tom’s post pub extra dots didnt come in 8’s by any chance? Sean M0GIA

At least I had a go - and indeed completed a valid chaser contact with 'CWI. Not just slouch in a corner watching the contact through one eye in a drunken stupor.

I did offer you the opportunity to work Ric after me, an opportunity that you declined.

Having sunk so low as to have a pop at my “merry morse”, it is now judgement day. Money where mouth is, put your. Bring on that activation!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G0VOF:

As 60m had gone long by late afternoon time I couldn’t hear Paul above
the noise here

Hi Mark

Sorry I didn’t work you from Great Mell Fell. 60m was in it’s death-throes when I started, I couldn’t copy Steve either. Worked six on 60 including an LA, then moved to 80m where I didn’t hear Steve either, he must have been QRT or on another band by then. Called for 10 mins around 3.667 with not one response, I guess my 4W wasn’t cutting it on the noisy band with lengthening skip.

Hope to catch you next time!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G0VOF:

As 60m had gone long by late afternoon time I couldn’t hear Paul above
the noise here

Hi Mark

Sorry I didn’t work you from Great Mell Fell. 60m was in it’s death-throes when I started, I couldn’t copy Steve either. Worked six on 60 including an LA, then moved to 80m where I didn’t hear Steve either, he must have been QRT or on another band by then. Called for 10 mins around 3.667 with not one response, I guess my 4W wasn’t cutting it on the noisy band with lengthening skip.

Hope to catch you next time!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M1EYP:
There was no way I was going to work Ric on CW after a meal out with all that drink you kept plying me with, Sober would have still given the same answer.

I didnt even know if it was 8 dits that Ric was referring to though I am sure it was HI!

Quote: Having sunk so low as to have a pop at my “merry morse”, it is now judgement day. Money where mouth is, put your. Bring on that activation!

Thats a classic way of trying to get me to do my first solo CW activation! All I will say is keep your eyes open. Sean M0GIA

I will keep my squelch open as well, just in case you try to do it on that multiband vertical :wink:

I can lend you superb aerials for 20m or 30m if you need though, much better than anything you’ve got.

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks for offering the use of your superb aerials, I was thinking of cutting a MM12 for tonight on The Cloud.

I still have no filter which could mean trouble on a busy band :frowning:

A 12m vertical should get me four or more stations in the log. We will see. Sean M0GIA

Did you manage anything? The concepts of 12m and “tonight” don’t exactly seem compatible, although you could attract the local chasers I guess.

I think you would have to be very unlucky (lucky?) to be troubled by 12m being a busy band! Did you cure the aerial?

Tom M1EYP

Tuesday 13th July 2010, and the next one - a return to Gun G/SP-013 for activation #966. My usual MO was somewhat disrupted tonight - I would normally be QRV in the RSGB 70cm UK activity contest for the full 8pm-10.30pm local, from The Cloud G/SP-015. But Jimmy needed dropping off and picking up from Barnswood Scout Camp near Leek, and very near Gun!

It was a rather horrid wet evening, so when I was messaged by G3CWI suggesting a beer meet, I was momentarily tempted. For it turned out that his daughter was attending the same event, albeit with slightly different start/end times to the older Explorer Scouts. Commitment to the cause won through, and I found myself trudging up the path to Gun summit in grotty drizzle by around 7.40pm.

I set up just beyond the summit to get out of the worst of the wind, but there was no way of avoiding the rain, meaning that I was soon inside the yellow bothy bag. As usual, many of those worked were members of the Bolton Wireless Club, where I had been the previous evening to do a talk about SOTA. “Are you in that yellow tent thing you showed us?” was mentioned in most QSOs with Bolton members! As an aside, what a superb radio society the Bolton club is. Well worth a visit if you get a chance, and any radio amateur in the vicinity really should join up. Although their healthy membership numbers and massive participation in VHF contests suggests that they already have!

So it was the (slightly) unusual reference of SP-013 and locator IO83XD that I was issuing during the evening, as I worked my way to 34 QSOs - 32 on 70cm SSB, 1 on 70cm CW and 1 on 70cm FM. Unfortunately, by then it was 9.15pm and I had to pick Jimmy and his mate up from the scout camp, so probably missed out on maybe another 15 QSOs and the JO squares which tend to present themselves in the later stages of the UKACs. Not a strong contest effort, but a perfectly healthy SOTA activation nonetheless.

I picked the lads up from Barnswood, and Jimmy M3EYP reported that he had bumped into Richard G3CWI and had a natter with him. We drove home accompanied by the unique sounds of Frank Sidebottom’s “A, B, C & D” and “E, F, G & H” compilation CDs that are no doubt causing an unexpected spike in Amazon’s sales profile at present!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Not a strong contest effort, but a perfectly healthy SOTA activation nonetheless.

I’d say that was very respectable from Gun Tom. Having activated the summit back-to-back with The Cloud, I’d say there’s no contest. The Cloud wins… but considering last night’s WX, the pub would have done had it been me.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I’d say that was very respectable from Gun Tom. Having activated the
summit back-to-back with The Cloud, I’d say there’s no contest. The
Cloud wins… but considering last night’s WX, the pub would have
done had it been me.

Nevertheless, Tom was ENORMOUSLY strong with me down on Broadway Hill (IO92BA) - much stronger than I’ve ever heard him from The Cloud.

I just pipped you this time Tom … and I also packed up an hour before the end. Only because I ran out of stations to work! I worked every station that I could hear, which was quite satisfying with my 5 watts! Stewart (G0LGS) had more patience and waited until the end; his persistence paid off as he succeeded in working a dozen new stations in the last hour.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

That is always the way Walt. The stations in JO01, JO02, JO03 and IO91 tend to point at the continent until 10pm local - then they turn their beams inwards and those who have “stuck it out” get 10-20 new stations, and 3-5 new multipliers. It is not so bad on the QSO total if you only do the first half as we did, but it is a killer on the points score!

The Cloud is my favoured spot, but I should make an effort to do a full 2.5 hours in a Tuesday evening contest from Gun. I have won the Backpackers from Gun in the past, so I wouldn’t like to compare the two sites until I have done like-for-like.

Tom M1EYP