Gun G/SP-013 Quick Report

Well, this was very much a lastminute.com activation. I had already decided, I’d done enough radio this week.

However, as every hard bitten Radio Ham knows, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions and as the 20Ah SLAB was fully charged and the FT-857 was still in the rucksack…Oh well.

I arrived at The Gun parking spot early, to find conditions extremely calm. But I knew the wind would almost certainly get up, so, I took the decision to leave the 7 Ele ZL beast in the back of the car…smart move as it 'appens.

Got set up and bungeed the antenna to the trig point. Dunno why I did this as it is probably the most exposed place on the summit.

I had promised myself, I would be off the summit by 1200z…Yeah right.

Self spotted myself on SSB and started to call cq. Most unusually, not a sausage. Carried on trying …still nowt!!! Just happened to look at the SWR reading on the rig and found it to be through the roof. Yup, I hadn’t tightened up the PL259 properly into the back of the rig. Within seconds, of doing so, I heard G0TRB and Bob G6ODU and in the space of 20 odd minutes, had worked 11 Stations including Tom M1EYP and G0RQL Don, in sunny Devon.

At 9am, QSY’d to FM where there was a steady stream of calls all morning, right up to my last QSO with G3YUX at 1447z, when it started to rain.

Worked a load of kids who were at a Scout Hut callsign M0TSR and then worked 3 of them /A with their shinny new M6 callsigns.

Also had about half a dozen S2S which was very pleasant.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable day, despite my knees being frozen solid.

The days haul …120 contacts, not bad for a summit that is 7 or 8 hundred feet lower than Shining Tor.

As usual, a big big thank you, to all the chasers who called me. A pleasure to work all of you.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Always good to work you Mike.

Whenever you are on from a high spot, two metres seems to come alive around here. After working you I listened to your QSO’s for a while after and was pleasantly surprised at the numbers of stations you were being called by.

Just goes to show the numbers of people out there that are monitoring two metres.

ROTFL Mike! The first “not stopping long” comment on a spot for you was at 1021z. You were still there nearly five hours later. Is this the most dangerously addictive hobby of all time?

Good effort mate.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

ROTFL Mike! The first “not stopping long” comment on a spot
for you was at 1021z. You were still there nearly five hours later.
Is this the most dangerously addictive hobby of all time?

Good effort mate.

/%… Vicky Pollard mode on …%/

Yeah, well err yeah right, well err it’s not my fault, err right!!!

.*% Vicky Pollard mode off *%.

LOL, you’re right though Tom, I guess the moral of the story is, NEVER take a 20Ah SLAB onto a SOTA summit :wink:

Thanks for the call today.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Congrats on your latest marathon effort, Mick! Please leave a few stations for me to work … hi hi!

Thanks for your message from the Cambridge Rally … received this morning via G3JKB on the RAOTA CW net. Hope you had a good day.

Cheers,

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Congrats on your latest marathon effort, Mick! Please leave a few
stations for me to work … hi hi!

LOL, for you, no problem.

Thanks for your message from the Cambridge Rally … received this
morning via G3JKB on the RAOTA CW net. Hope you had a good day.

Yes Walt, not too bad. The rally seemed pretty well attended, which if you take into account the crazy price of fuel, was a good result for them.

It never ceases to amaze me, how many times Dave G3JKB and myself seem to end up with adjoing tables at rallies …the last time was Llandudno, IIRC.

I know Dave is attending Blackpool, so no doubt, I’ll see him there.

Mick 2E0YYY

In reply to G0RXA:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Always good to work you Mike.

Thanks Nigel, I’ll be around somewhere this weekend and hope to catch you.

Whenever you are on from a high spot, two metres seems to come alive
around here. After working you I listened to your QSO’s for a while
after and was pleasantly surprised at the numbers of stations you were
being called by.

Just goes to show the numbers of people out there that are monitoring
two metres.

It really is surprising. A shout on the calling channel, especialy if you’re at a couple of thousand feet ASl, brings some amazing results.

What I find really interesting, is the amount of /M stations I work!

Mike 2E0YYY