Greylock Mountain MA weirdness!

Yesterday evening I flew into Pittsfield MA right next to Massachusetts’ highest peak W1/MB-001 of course I had to activate the mighty Mt Greylock.

I parked @1.5 miles from the top (this sign not accurate) and racing the setting sun I hiked up in fog, heavy wind and light rain.

When I reached the top a Ranger making his rounds pointed out a shelter-cabin that was in the AZ and I thought Awesome! A dry place to activate from.

Creepy cabin!

I set up my rig and stretched out my endfed to a pine-tree’s top and started calling CQ. I had a G4 station fade in and out and could not for the life of me copy them. Thanks for trying if you read this!

I was not very productive for some reason my RBN signals were very low 2-5dB but I was able to scratch out 5 QSOs for the activation.

During the activation in the fogged in-very dark cabin I felt a tap on the shoulder. THAT scared the heck out of me. A hiker who was totally drenched and shivering stood before me seemingly out of nowhere. They asked if I had any water and of course gave them my extra full bottle. I had a spare fleece top and also gave it to him to change into. We talked for a couple minutes and he said thanks for the help and started to take the fleece off, I told him to keep it and I would run down to the car and get him in a warm place. I went out to get my antenna down and in that 1-2 minutes later he was gone!!! At least he kept the fleece.

I looked around the room for a bit and then out the window and saw this! It took me a couple seconds to realize it was a light on top of the Veterans memorial.

Looked like a UFO in the fog for a second!

I ran down the road soaked and cold myself hoping the hiker made his way safely!

Erik
KE8OKM

11 Likes

Erik, thanks for the report! I’ve been looking into flying my Mooney into Harriman-and-West airport AQW which looks close enough for a long walk to the Greylock summit, or more likely taking a bicycle in the plane.

Roy / WN3F

1 Like

OMG that tap on the shoulder would have scared the heck out of me too…

3 Likes