Great Orme - notice for chasers

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks for pointing this out . I don’t think he calls out CQ sota but I had him in my activator log as a S2S after he quoted NW-070. I’m not claiming this as a S2S and have deleted it from my chaser log (not my activator log as i only had 4 contacts on Rhobell Fawr).
I had the pleasure of meeting Dave (GW4UPO)and his good lady on the Orme one Sunday afternoon (Chips not SOTA for me) . Maybe I should have asked him what radio he used because he didn’t seem to have the S9 noise level of my IC706.
Thanks again Tom for making a good point and thanks to Dave GW4UPO/P for maing my activation of Rhobell Fawr possible.
Aled MW6UPH

In reply to M0YDH:

Luckily the good far outnumbers the others

I’ve spoken to Dave a few times and he has always been open about where he has been operating from. I am sure there has not been any intention on his part to deceive. The owness is clearly upon “our” part as SOTA regulars to check the validity of the operation at the other end.

I did have one query in making a Summitsbase S2S Award claim - that was for a QSO when I worked Ian G4WUH on Ruardean G/WB-021. When asked Ian kindly obliged me with the S2S by quite literally taking a walk with his handheld during our QSO - slow fade QSB included. I still logged him as /P as I personally prefer that suffix for pedestrian portable. To my mind pedestrian mobile is a contradiction in terms!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Blame the regulator for that Gerald.
Although, trying to get the /A and /P rules sorted was like trying to understand the ‘Offside’ rule (don’t ask me, can’t stand the game ;o) ) when I took my exams back in '77.

Then things changed, several times, and /M covered any form of mobile, including ‘pedestrian mobile’. Now it would seem we can choose what best reflects our operating.

No doubt it will change again sometime!

Was Ian out walking his dogs?

73 Graham G4FUJ
(Sorry - still off topic! :o) )

In reply to G3CWI:

WFF is about to have a new set of rules apparently but it is not clear
(to me) what that might entail.

Rumour control has it that the WFF rule tweaks appear to be quite minor (clarifing double-counting, where a small reference is within a bigger one, and possibly setting minimum QSO rules - currently 1 QSO is enough, etc)

More fundamentally, the Committee is going on an ego trip and setting up similar “award programs” in a number of other areas, including mountains

I am not sure yet on the conflict this might bring with SOTA references and rules…

Andrew
M6ADB

Back to the original topic for a moment.

I have worked Dave GW4UPO/P from the Great Orme many times on VHF/UHF, both simplex & via repeaters & all qso’s appear in my main station log. He is a pleasure to chat with, & really enjoys being out playing radio from high ground.

I am aware of his usual choice of operating from his car in the car park on the Great Orme, & have explained that this would not be a valid SOTA activation, & what would be involved to make it valid.

On the one occasion that he appears in my chaser log I was activating G/SP-007 Fair Snape Fell & I am certain I asked him if he was operating in a way that would be valid for a SOTA activation. I do not remember his answer, but I have included the QSO in my chaser log so I must have been satisfied that it was valid.

I will delete the contact from my chaser log if I must, but I was satisfied at the time that he was operating within the rules of SOTA, so I do so with some displeasure.

I have not yet claimed a summit to summit award, maybe it’s time I did :slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

I have worked Dave GW4UPO/P from the Great Orme many times… his usual choice of operating from his car in the car park on the Great Orme.

I think Dave has a handheld and sometimes does go walkabouts. I seem to recall that every time I’ve worked him it has either been cold or wet and I didn’t feel it appropriate to ask him to leave the comfort of his car.

In reply to G4FUJ:

I don’t know whether Ian had his dogs with him. It was back in April 2006 when I was on Cadair Berwyn and seeing it was a fine day he offered to make it an S2S, obviously aware of the SOTA rules. Not heard anything of him for a long time, but then I rarely operate FM nowadays.

73, Gerald G4OIG

On the one occasion that he appears in my chaser log I was activating
G/SP-007 Fair Snape Fell & I am certain I asked him if he was
operating in a way that would be valid for a SOTA activation. I do not
remember his answer, but I have included the QSO in my chaser log so I
must have been satisfied that it was valid.

I will delete the contact from my chaser log if I must, but I was
satisfied at the time that he was operating within the rules of SOTA,
so I do so with some displeasure.

I have not yet claimed a summit to summit award, maybe it’s time I did
:slight_smile:

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply

I activated the Shining Tor (G/SP-004) today and worked Dave, GW4UPO/P who gave his position as “GW/NW-070 at the Great Orme”. I asked him if was he operating from the car park and he confirmed he was. I also asked him if he was operating from a car and he confirmed that too. I briefly explained that I would log him as a contact but that I couldn’t log him as a S2S because his operating from a car did not qualify for a SOTA activation. He was very polite and thanked me for his 2 points. Had I not seen Tom’s posting here, I would certainly have logged him as a S2S.
Regards
Dave

I see the QRZ entry for the Station mentioned has recently been updated.

In reply to G0LGS:

I have my doubts about who wrote that comment. Does not sound like Dave’s MO to me.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Wonder if the SOTA Forensic team are now active on this case, I trust they will solve it like they have in the past. The lack of photographic evidence may make it tough but I am sure they will fathom it.

OK so I am only 12 but I wouldnt use language like that on a public website.

Morgan
M3LMP