GPS for hiking

Yes, Gaia (with subscription) allows downloading of maps. You get to control the geographic boundary, zoom depth, and layers/maps you wish to include. It’s easy to view your tracks before heading out and just run a download on a region wide enough to include the whole track area, with whatever combination of topo/trail/satellite/road layers.

Why is it not “wise”? It works perfectly well for me and if I happen to need more map data I just briefly turn on my data. Also, I never go out relying solely on my cellphone for navigation - I either memorize or right down the route and trails first.

If I understand Gaia you need to purchase membership and more functionality if you want save the maps to the device or SD card.

Gaia is my back up to a Garmin 64ST.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

Bob,

This may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but my Garmin inReach (older model with no display screen) includes a downloadable app that allowed saving maps to my iPhone (or android if you use that system). In addition to linking to the inReach device, the app allows downloading detailed maps and satellite views to use offline on the phone with the phone’s gps.

The inReach will operate for tracking without being linked to the phone, in case you want to turn the phone off or use airplane mode to save battery. For tracking you simply give your password (can change it any time) to people you want to be able to track you online. Worked great when my daughter was younger and we were out hiking in the Smoky Mtns or other remote areas. Kept Mama from getting screwed into the ceiling wondering where we were.

The app will work on the phone without the inReach device, and shows your location with a lat/long/elevation readout. As most of my whopping 5 or so activations have been in spots with no cell coverage, the inReach was able to send the spot to Sotawatch, plus you have two way texting capability and an SOS capability with the inReach if needed. Gives you GPS, tracking, and a fallback safety feature in one system. As always, don’t forget prudent planning, passing your itinerary to a trusted agent, planning/equipping for conditions, etc., but is is nice to have an additional safety resource that can be used for other purposes. I do take extra inReach batteries (runs on AA’s) and a spare phone power pack just in case.

Not exactly what you asked, but maybe an option. Good luck.

Mike, N4VBV

I use a Garmin etrex 30x. Bought it when I first started SOTA. Came bundled with U.S. topo maps. Not sure if this model is sold anymore. Bought in 2016.

I really like it. Thought of upgrading to a model with more bells and whistles but this Garmin does everything I need it to do.

Thought about trying to use my Andriod phone for GPS but prefer a standalone model. For one, the battery last so much longer in my Garmin. And from what I checked into, the phone apps require a monthly fee to be able to get all the functionality you need. Figure paying one price for the handheld GPS is a better deal for me. And my Garmin is waterproof, my phone not so much. And when my phones touchscreen gets wet, it doesn’t work so well.

Good Luck with your choice

Roland K7FOP

2 Likes

Since I began this topic, I wanted to say that I decided to buy a Garmin that can be used worldwide but will also synch with your smartfone by bluetooth. Like some others, I don’t like relying on phones. Also, foul wx may not be great for smart phones. Sounds like each have a solution that works best for them.
Happy New Year,
Bob K4RLC

2 Likes

A few years back I picked up a Garmin Summit on closeout (the previous years model) at more than 50 percent off. I can upload maps of an area I’ll be in, and it works pretty good. For the older Android, I use Gaia and a USFS worker turned me on to Avenza, mapping program used by them. For the old GPS, look here for any of the areas you might be interested in:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

I do use the Android apps on a 10" tab mounted in the vehicle to get me to the area I want to explore, and then use the handheld Garmin for the rest of the trip…I too prefer a stand alone GPS to a cell phone…

Later,
Todd KH2TJ

That is good information. I use a map and compass (not on phone since there is often no service) but I’ve been considering a Garmin for sometime. My wife bought me one for Christmas years ago but it was so large and complicated I returned it immediately. It would be nice to have one for hiking in the dark, during foggy conditions, and some areas with few landmarks or where life is potentially at stake if lost.

1 Like

Putting another device on the plate: I have a Garmin Fenix 5x sports watch, which I use as a substitute for my handheld Garmin Oregon 450 which is getting old. It’s linked to my cellphone with Bluetooth and I can plan routes on the phone or PC and transfer it to the watch. I wouldn’t call it a 100% replacenent for my handheld since autorouting on the watch doesn’t work as nice as it does on the Oregon, but hiking from the parking lot to the summit along preplanned routes is no problem. I have no issues with the battery capacity, I always charge the watch fully before I leave, the watch uses 10-20% of battery capacity for a 1-2 hour hike.

73 Jens HB9EKO

1 Like

Jens, will that track your route so you can follow your route back in the return trip? If I can get that and current gps coordinates I think I would be pretty happy with that. I could follow the track back or use the coordinates to locate on a map even in the dark.

Yes, it does support route tracking and trackback.

Hi to all,

Only my during my sota activation, I use Garmin etrex 30…
For some models (garmin… is one of this) it’s possible to upload custom maps (with path… eg.)
Normally I use MOBAC (Mobile atlas crator)
https://mobac.sourceforge.io/

This application export selected maps direcly in garmin format.

73 Pier

1 Like