GPS at Aldi

http://www.aldi.co.uk/special_buys/special_buys_pid_51161.html

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

Handtec are doing the eTrex at £67 plus VAT plus £2.99 P + P at the moment. Similar deal. I think the Geko is now obsolete… or going that way.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I think the Geko is now obsolete

…probably why Aldi have them! I have one and it is an excellent very small device. Mine comes along in a sealed plastic bag - only used when I get lost. The only poor feature is that if you leave the batteries in you will be sure to find them flat as it turns on far too easily. I store mine without the batteries in.

Richard

I have an ‘obsolete’ gps12. A while ago I looked into upgrading…the model that came out on top for me was the Geko 201. The features that suited me most were price, size, weight, no. of routes & waypoints, pc connection, waas/egnos capable. It doesn’t have colour, mapping, compass or barometer, but for my uses these would be expensive (cash and battery) fripperies.

In the end I was too tight fisted and so stayed with the gps12.

Seeya, Dick.

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

I can’t say the eTrex is that easy to turn on. It needs a fair push at the button.

I hope to use it in Northumberland. Awaiting delivery of Memory Map as well to augment the system, though this will be restricted to National Parks initially… other maps maybe future birthday presents…?? In the meantime if I get lost I can blame Jim CQK as I’ve uploaded his tracks, Hi!

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. I always carry a few rechargeable AA’s with me in case I have a problem with power.

In reply to M0EIQ:

I changed my GPS12 for an ETrex now I get 4 trips per 2 batteries instead of half a trip per four :-).
Anyone want a redundant GPS12 ???

Roger G4OWG