Golden Autumn on R9U / SO-065

Two Igor, Mikhail (small) and the author of this topic spent a weekend on the bank of the Maly Inzer River and climbed Maly Yamantau Mountain. This mountain is located in the South Ural Natural Reserve. Access to the reserve is closed, but you can visit M. Yamantau by paying a pass.
Leaving the highway, we drove for about an hour along a forest road through the
mountain pass.

We planned to spend Saturday and spend the night on the river bank, and the next day to climb the mountain.

Our camp is picturesquely located among the pine trees, opposite a small roll on the river.
It turned out to be just a day of rest and contemplation of the beauty of nature

At night, the temperature dropped below zero. But it was quite warm in the sunlight.
In the morning we packed up the camp and went to the beginning of the ascent route. M. Yamantau is a fairly visited peak, but the trail leads only to a non-main, more easily accessible peak.

Igor (senior) does not have an amateur radio license, but he listens to HF radio and is interested in events in amateur radio.

The ascent took more than two hours. The last step is climbing simple rocks. Mikhail (small) was not scared and climbed to the top.

We quickly installed HF and VHF antennas and started work.

Golden Ural mountains are around us.

Igor (RV9WIW) was QRV on 145 MHz FM and 14 MHz SSB.

He made his first QSO with ZL working from R9U / SO-065 from the field, more precisely mountain conditions. I am very happy for him!
RX9WT, as usual CW, 14 MHz.

There was even a small PileUp for which I am very grateful to all the chasers. Everything coincided: a beautiful mountain, wonderful weather and company, and of course a good propogation!
So I wanted to stay here longer. But the descent and the way home awaited us.

Thank you all for a wonderful weekend!
Vlad

20 Likes

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much for nice activation report.
Special thanks for S2S QSO, special treasure in my log !
I hope to see you on the frequencies soon again :wink:

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Many Thanks Vlad for sharing your part of world.
When R9U region is actived, it’s always a good event because QRB more than 3900 km from my QRA.
I do hope to QSO you as Jarek one day ==> S2S
73 QRO
Roger

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Nice to meet you again on S2S, dear friends.
Vlad

simply wonderfull pictures. Many thanks Vlad !

1 Like

Thanks for sharing pictures and the activation story. I like the forest camping being part of the adventure.

For your information at least two S2S stations have been calling you but did not have a chance. You came in 57 to 59. I tried at least 20 minutes but no success until you went QRT. And CT2GSN/P was calling too for a S2S. When R05SOTA is on air again please consider to ask for Summit to Summit stations from time to time.
Thank you. Looking forward to a QSO :+1:

73 Joe

1 Like

Joe, thank you for your support. I tried to pay more attention to the callsigns /p. But unfortunately I was able to clearly hear only one of our friends - Jarek SP9MA/P. There were strong qrms on my frequency. I was going to start working with SPLIT, but I gave up my place behind the transceiver to Igor (RV9WIW) because he had finished working on VHF by this time. The time allotted for QRV from the summit was limited, and unfortunately we did not manage to make a QSO with all SOTA enthusiasts. Of course, experience and operator skills increase with each new activation. Igor had a QSO with Oceania for the first time! This is a huge step for him!
See you on S2S.
Vlad

Thanks Vlad,

No worries. It will work another time.
The excitement of working SOTA DX is too good so congrats to Igor.

73 Joe

1 Like

Very nice. I am glad there was opening on 20m here for a change. You were solid copy in Auckland on CW and SSB. Louder than most EU stations you worked. Solid S5 with some QSB. Thank you for QSO’s. Will be looking out for you on your next activation.

Regards & 73!
Andrei, de ZL1TM

2 Likes

Andrei, these were unforgettable QSOs!
Vlad

Hello Vlad. Fantastic report and great photos of the scenery. 73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi Vladimir,

You made my day for the second time right now.
Thank you !

73, Jarek

1 Like

Jarek, the photo for this QSL was taken during the winter ascent to the summit R9U/SO-002. The summits are visible in the background: R9U/SO-004, R9U/SO-009, R9U/SO-030 and R9U/SO-022.
In the foreground R9U/SO-046 is visible.
73!
Vlad

2 Likes

Thank you very much Vladimir, this is my dream to go there one day.

73, Jarek

1 Like