GMRS Simplex legal?

Or anything to do with COVID gatherings…

It’s a sack of nonsense Simon There is this constant complaint that skilled people (maybe comms/electronics background etc) are put off becoming radio amateurs because they have to sit 3 exams to get to full. Now I don’t know about you, but if you want to be an ‘X’ you do whatever training / exams are required to become an ‘X’. Any “professional” who can’t be bothered to sit a few exams which will be trivial to someone working in a technical role isn’t really that committed to being a amateur radio and likely to be transient in the hobby.

I’d encourage you to encourage her and just get on with the various stages so that you both have full licences and can operate abroad. There is something very enjoyable about SOTA expeditions to other countries especially places like The Canaries or Balearic Islands where you can mix activating with a fine holiday. There are just so many places to pick from and by the time she’s completed the exams travel will be back on the cards even allowing for von der Leyen having put the kibosh on a speedy vaccine rollout in mainland Europe. :wink:

1 Like

I have always understood that an amateur licence authorised communication only with other licenced amateurs. So as an amateur I cannot call someone who has no amateur licence and they cannot legally call me.

The only exception is in case of life-threatening emergency where you get an exemption.

Isn’t that the same in other countries?

Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

In the UK the 60m band is allocated on a shared basis and UK amateurs are allowed to have contacts with military cadet stations.

Hi Andrew, that is my understanding also. And I also believe it is the same else in world where they have amatuer licences.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Coincidentally, this weekend is one of the activity sessions :slight_smile:

Exercise Blue Ham - Alpha Charlie

…and this weekend there’s the next in a series of cadet force exercises involving such contacts: Exercise Blue Ham - Alpha Charlie

Our military would be shocked at that loose attitude. They will not tolerate amateurs on their 60 m band. Apparently those few kHz are absolutely essential for the proper operation of the VK OTH radar. The regulating authority here agrees that thousands of amateurs could be disruptive if turned loose on 60 m with a full 15 W eirp.

Ron
VK3AFW

Yes but you and I both know it’s not really about restricting amateurs from using 60m in case they cause problems for military users. If they allow amateurs to share with the military and there are no problems then it will confirm others could share military spectrum and lead to lots of demands from other Australian radio users.