GMA - German Mountain Award

In reply to G4OWG:

Roger

Thank you for the clarification. I felt sure that I was told that the Wainwrights and Outlying Wainwrights were once part of the HuMPS award - or is that different to the HEMS award? I realise that the rules have changed on a regular basis so I must be a few versions behind!

There are so many “tribute awards” nowadays that I don’t follow them very closely.

Richard
G3CWI

As has been mentioned here already, there is the problem that many humps were painted here in DM/ND all halt, and thus there is simply no
Way more SOTA to operate except it drives 200-300 km or more to the next SOTA summit this then activate.

Not by the rating points leave GMA are points!
Link to the the SOTA mountains near me

QTH is Brandenburg an der Havel
next SOTA summit by me ist DM/SA-033 - Petersberg air line 101,8km
JO62GK - JO51XO.
way to DM/SA-033 with car 134 km, 1 Stunde 44 Minuten

and the neht GMA humps in JO62IK is 12.6km, the way to this summit 20-25min + footway.

And with today’s fuel prices in DL of 1.58 € for super and 1.44 € for diesel

There, it is simply just not cash, to put up times on the weekend in the car and to enable 400 km to driving around a mountain.

I that hope more OM himself for GMA as for interest, and thereby also to many QSO’s comes from the mountain.

73 / 44 Peter DK2RMP

Hello Richard,
not to start a fundamental discussion, but an impression from a sporadic activator - the precisely defined SOTA-core may be prescisely defined by rules and geografic termini like prominence. But without digging deep into it there is IMHO no intuitive real world understanding of it.

When I first got interested in SOTA it was when I wanted to look up the SOTA-ref for the second highest mountain in our federal state of Thuringia, the Schneekopf. With its 978 m height it is a major hiking target (and famous VHF-location). When I planned my hike I was really shocked, yes shocked, to see that this thing (http://tinyurl.com/6vmnrs5 ) had no SOTA-ref - other than some tiny 4xx m-hills say in the Rhön-region with names even more excperienced hikers not knowing immediately.

When I tell non-hams about this part of my hobby they regularly ask “Have you already been to Schneekopf with your radio?” - and I earn shaking heads when telling that it is not defined as summit.

I understand, rules are rules, but sometimes the outcome may be scientific correct but not as striking, logic and clear as you described it. That is NOT (!) to favour extensive lists with such myriads of tiny hills that seemingly have existed in former times.

Just an impression from someone having no share in former disputes - and not collecting activator points no emotion other than fun going /p
73, Chris

In reply to DL8MBS:

Hi, Chris, your post illustrates one of the fundamental problems in drawing up a rigorous list of summits. The Schneekopf is a visually prominent summit, but it is lower than its companion summit, the Grosser Beerberg, and the col between them is only 60 metres lower. To somebody who has not looked closely at a map, not listing the Schneekopf will look like a strange and even perverse decision, but if we included the Schneekopf then there would be no reason to exclude many other summits with prominence under 100 metres. I suggest that if the topic comes up again, you just point out that the Schneekopf is subordinate to the Grosser Beerberg DM/TH-001. A shame, I agree, but you can’t argue with geography!

Brian G8ADD

Hello Brain and other people following

I understand the 100 or 150m rule, but it makes sense to whom the survey is worth mentioning nights almost 75km away?
Or in the case of complaints Piekberg with 160m and around sea level no connection to the land beyond the bridge.
And why this mountain has been painted with.
I do not understand it, even at 150m, he would be in the list!

And therefore there is now GMA, so that these beautiful mountains or bosses are worth visiting again.

In reply to DL8MBS:

It may seem a pity that Schneekopf is not a SOTA mountain, but we do not need to dig too deeply into the rules to explain (in fairly simple terms) why this is the case. If it is a good operating position, I expect that it will be used as such anyway, for instance during contests. Yes, the hunter and gatherer in us will always rejoice after “catching a new one”, but then, a QSO goes both ways - who knows, the operators on some non-SOTA hilltops or elsewhere may go home happy to have worked your town, district, locator field, or whatever they are interested in and had not worked before. On VHF and UHF simplex in particular, we could do with more activity anyway, and there is not always someone on a SOTA mountain. So call CQ from Schneekopf, call from the beach near Blackpool, call from the local playground or bus stop or even from home, and most importantly do not ignore those calls!

73, Jan-Martin

In reply to G8ADD:

Here in Cheshire, Shutlingsloe is the most visually prominent summit but Shining Tor is higher.

http://www.walksinthepeakdistrict.co.uk/WalkingImages/DSC00418.JPG

http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/images/dave-shining-tor.jpg

Such are the inequities of an objective classification.

Rchard
G3CWI

In reply to DK2RMP:

As far as I know, the SOTA lists for Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern simply have not been re-written yet. True, there are not that many places with a prominence of more than 100 m, but as far as I could work out, there may even be a second “P 100” on Ruegen (Tempelberg might count if the saddle along Schmale Heide is not higher than 7 m a. s. l.). Judging from the location of the former meltwater valleys, there could be four or five likely candidates among the hills in between (e. g. good old Hagelberg). It is just a matter of finding some good maps to check, and writing it down. SOTA-DM, any comment?

Noch mal auf deutsch: Soweit ich weiß, gibt es einfach noch keine neuen SOTA-Listen für Brandenburg und Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Da mag es zwar nicht viele Erhebungen mit mehr als 100 m Schartenhöhe geben, aber vielleicht gibt es sogar schon auf Rügen eine zweite (der Tempelberg, falls der Sattel auf der Schmalen Heide nicht höher als 7 m ü. d. M. ist). So, wie die Urstromtäler liegen, könnte es bestimmt vier oder fünf SOTA-Kandidaten unter den Erhebungen dazwischen geben (wie den guten alten Hagelberg). Das muß natürlich auf der Landkarte nachgesehen und aufgeschrieben werden. Was sagt SOTA-DM dazu?

73, Jan-Martin

Hello Brian,
in no way would I dare to convince other guys than geographers in the Schneekopf-Beerberg-case ;-)))))

The two mentioned summits are 1,7 km apart on the line of sight - the more to walk. I don´t argue with geography but at least in this case I could not earn anything else than a very healthy laughter from hikers - the more because Großer Beerberg is nearly not detectable as a real “summit” for most hikers because it emerges close to the loooong (170 km) ridge of the Thüringer Wald (Rennsteig) which is only about 50m lower than the summit at this point of this famous trail.

Again, nothing serious, but one of the differences between real world feeling (of mountains other than summits) and scientificly defined rules. I don´t know how many such cases exist. Be it as it is (and pure committee decisions would of course also stir debates).

Hi Jan-Martin
I do not know what to SOTA DM says, because since there is no DM / ND is more hump it became very quiet here and you hear nothing more from SOTA / DM!
Who put out every month in Harald DL2HSC not a radio amateur SOTA QTC would be from DM I do not hear at all.
The latest news on the HP are on Jan 2012th

I very much hope that it reflects some hump in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. it is not a lot of his time be clear who to look at the map, but there is nu times flat land.

Hallo Jan-Martin
Ich weiss nicht was SOTA-DM dazu sagt, weil seit es keine DM/ND Buckel mehr gibt ist es hier sehr leiser geworden und man hört hier nichts mehr von SOTA/DM!
Wen Harald DL2HSC nicht jeden Monat im Funkamateur ein SOTA-QTC rausbringen würde man aus DM glaube Ich überhaupt nicht hören.
Die letzten News auf der HP sind vom Jan 2012.

Ich hoffe sehr das es wieder einige Buckel in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern gibt. das es nicht viele seine werden ist klar wen man sich mal die Landkarte ansieht, dafür ist es nu mal flaches Land.

73 / 44 Peter DK2RMP

In reply to DC7CCC:

That is a pity, Mario, did you check with the AM, the post might have got caught in the spam filter?

Brian GQ8ADD