GM - your top tips please

We might be heading to GM for some SOTAing in August. I say might because it all depends on whatever the virus-related rules and guidelines are by then. If there are none, we’re heading north!

We fully expect accommodation prices to be at a premium. If anyone has any great tips for where we can get really good value for 7, 10 or 14 nights stay, we’d like to hear. Thinking of a two bed (or one bedroom + sofa-bed in lounge) type cottage or apartment. WiFi is a must - as is a local pub that serves food! Probably GM/SS, but could consider other regions if better availability/VFM was to be had. I’ve started having a look around Airbnb, Booking.com, holiday cottage websites etc, but would like to tap into local knowledge in case there are other options I’ve not considered. Not thinking of camping or hostelling on this occasion.

We’re also interested in tips for the tops. We know we will never finish activating every SOTA summit in GM, so we’re not too bothered about completing regions or local clusters either. We’re mostly interested in doing great walks, iconic mountains, and of course anything at all that is relative quick and straightforward in order to boost the Activator Uniques tally.

That in mind, what summits and/or what areas are recommended to keep us busy for a week or two? Thoughts at the minute are anything like the trio of 1-point hills we did near Dumfries recently - we really enjoyed that outing, Tinto is one we really fancy, North Berwick Law etc, but really we don’t know much about the GM summits - so over to those that do. Thank you!

1 Like

Continue your adventures along SW Scotland.

Woodhead Hill
Criffel
Bainloch Hill
Bengairn
Mochrum Fell (serious due to undergrowth)
White Top of Culreoch
Bengray
Cairnharrow
Pibble Hill
Cairnsmore of Fleet
Fell of Fleet (serious ground)
Cairn Pat
Beneraird (southern access via private road no driving up it without permission)
Knockdolian
Grey Hill

Anything in Galloway Forest Park is going to be serious walking due to ground conditions.

Midges, we have them in the South not just West Coast/Highlands)
Rain. Yes it’s Summer so we have Summer rain. It’s just as wet and falls as often but is not so cold.
Availability. Everywhere is busy and due to lost business due to Covid, prices not cheap.

I’ve believe you can get a special tourist discount by wearing Cross of St. George T-shirts and talking about how well England did in the Euros. Asking why the money is a funny colour and asking for Bank Of England notes only is also considered an endearing attribute by businesses.

2 Likes

GM in August? My top tip is - don’t! Every time I’ve visited GM in August it has been miserably wet and infested with midges and tourists! That said, with the current boom in UK holidaying putting pressure on accomodation you might find one of the Travelodges a good idea, good possibilities for summit availability are Ayr, Berwick and Dumfries. They are comfortable, have internet, and while most don’t have food they always seem to be co-sited with a cafe.

Now now, don’t be doing pessimism Brian. Most of my previous GM experiences have been in August (not surprising for a teacher) and while we have occasionally encountered midges, by-and-large we’ve not had it too bad. Our run in with them on GM/SS-228 recently was my own stupid fault for setting up in shelter of the breeze! I’ll try to remember to set up in a good blast of wind on future GM activations!

Our wx on our previous GM August holidays has been fairly decent too.

Good shout on the Travelodges - more chance of those holding to a regular price - so I’ll check those options as well - especially those that are within walking distance of a pub.

Of your list Andy, we’ve already done a couple, but most are new to us. Don’t fancy the “serious ground” type stuff as we should have plenty to go at without those. As for your other advice, I shall avoid walking into your trap by doing the exact opposite :wink:

Perhaps I am overly pessimistic about the weather, most of my experience of August weather has been in the western and northern highlands, the southern climate is probably a bit more benign!

2 Likes

The serious walking is that you may only do one, maybe two in a day not three or four.

In the near of Galloway Forest, Shalloch on Minnoch and Craigenreoch are 2 you can do in a day. But you’ll probably only be able to do Lamachan Hill on its own.

You could blow caution to the wind and go and do some GM/NS summits and blow your mind with the splendour and majesty of Assynt etc. Do it as a drive up to SS and bag a hill then stop in the Central Belt. Continue next day, grab something Inverness area then head of to far North. Spend many days in NS region. Then repeat process on way home doing summit and staying en route South. That makes the long (for the UK) distances manageable in that you have 3hrs drive, 2hrs radio fun, 3hrs drive etc. The only downside to NS is VHF is much more hit and miss (mainly miss!) whereas VHF in SS is much better now and often you can get quite a good pileup going.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s rather a lot of summits in GM/SS to go at and @M0HGY is a VHF man!

Of course, if further north is an option you could head for Glencoe, stay at a hotel or bunkhouse (is the Red Squirrel bunkhouse still going?) and have a dozen summits available more or less within walking distance, at worst a few minutes drive. Some of them will trouble your vertigo, Tom, but several shouldn’t! Over sixty points from one location, one brilliant and two good pubs, what more could you ask for? :grinning:

1 Like

Stay in Killin or Aberfeldy or somewhere nearby. You have the Lawers range, The Glen Lyon Hills and you are not too far from many others. Loads of choice and points available in this area.

73 Rob GM3YTS

1 Like

I’d stay well away in August. The North Coast 500 has ruined that area.

Come to Royal Deeside. If it’s good enough for the Queen…

…and no midges. Plenty of peaks from one point to ten. And the warmest weather in GMland.

There is plenty of wooden lodge/chalet type accommodation popping up all over the place. Cairngorm Bothies is one I know of.

3 Likes

Except when I’m there!

You kindly stay well away for our GM SOTA holiday, and keep your midges and wet weather with you.

1 Like

My friends used to say that they preferred to walk to the pub with me, I attracted the midges away from them!

2 Likes

The novelty of asking Her Maj’s permission (by proxy) for doing Arthur’s Seat and the excellent view of the capital from the top make it worth doing if you’re visiting Edinburgh at all on your trip.

Honestly it’s been so windy here for June, there can’t be a midge left in Scotland. They’re surely all in Norway.

2 Likes

I’ve activated Arthur’s Seat several times already!

The last time I was in Scotland in August, I was sea kayaking off Skye. One morning we awoke to so many midges we had to paddle out to sea half a mile, just to eat our breakfast! You’re a brave man Tom!

2 Likes

I would advise against anywhere near Glentrool in August.
The first time I went there camping and needed full cover to get to the toilet block and would have liked to keep it on while there had this not been difficult :wink:
The second time was for a big orienteering event with a start point some way into the forest. A strange noise was heard whilst walking to the start. On arrival all was clear - it was the competitors scratching :rofl:
You have been warned.
Rod

4 Likes

I mean, that doesn’t stop you normally :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Normally the east coast is the better, as it “drier” and the midgees numbers are a lot less. Have a look on the sota map site and see where the large no of vhf qsos are made. The next question is how far are you willing to travel to the summit. The right location can get access to a few within 20-30 mind drive. Have a look around Dunkeld /Pitlochry area and possibly a lodge.

2 Likes