In reply to G0CQK:

Edit 10/06 19:50: For example - SI-148 shows no activation
yet from unique chaser summits …
G0NES 877 GM/SI-148 (Cruach na Seilcheig) 27/May/2007
G4JZF 906 GM/SI-148 (Cruach na Seilcheig) 27/May/2007
G4BLH 582 GM/SI-148 (Cruach na Seilcheig) 27/May/2007
GW4BVE 865 GM/SI-148 (Cruach na Seilcheig) 27/May/2007

Hi Jim,

This is one of the summits that GM4COX activated (as mentioned by Jimmy) but for which the log has not yet been entered in the database. According to another log, GM0UXX/P activated it on 144MHz on the same date (27 May 2007). This appears to be the only date on which it was activated. I agree with you, a search query like the one you mention would be useful, however from carrying out checks for Summitsbase Summit to Summit Awards, you would not believe how many regular activators (as opposed to an amateur ‘just passing through’) do not enter all of their logs, or the number that withdraw some or all of their logs, which is of course when you have to rely on chaser logs to confirm that an activation did actually take place.

73, Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:
Mike, thanks for the response,
I do keep chasing Jack about catching up with his activations log but given the demands of his business activities I quite understand the focus of his priorities - I am sure he will catch up one of these days. I don’t know anyone with a knowledge of RF technology that comes anywhere near matching his - blows my mind.

You may or may not have noticed that on that same date, viz. 27/05/2007, I activated SI-149 Cnoc an Ime just 12.6 miles away from SI-148 although I didn’t manage an S2S with Jack GM4COX and Ann GM4UXX - although I did log both Jack and Ann as a valid QSOs on 2fm mobile while I was on that summit. Probably next year, in May, I will aim to activate SI-148 just so that it shows up as such.

I have heard from others that you would like to record SB-005 Sighty Crag to close out all the SB summits. I am planning to do that one in the next 6 weeks or so. I have been spending a lot of time on Google Earth looking at potential routes. I may choose to go up the regular forestry route but explore other routes across the moor on the way back down. Anyhow if you have an interest in this summit, I can contact you off-line to arrange a sched. Of course Rob TPO or Derek ZJQ may get there before me.
jim

Just a little update:

We have just been given permission to do an activation on a northern unactivated summit that will probably not be activated very often. We have a two day window (Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th June) when we are relying on good weather to get to it in a small boat.

There should also be some other unactivated summits during the week before. On the way there and back there will be activations of a few of the bigger summits (weather permiting), so keep an eye on SOTAwatch.

Carolyn
G(M)6WRW(/M)(/P) :o)

In reply to G6WRW:
Good luck Carolyn. I am also hoping for good weather around that time. I am planning to do some summits between Sunday 21st June and Sunday 5th July. Unfortunately I can’t play SOTA on Saturday 27th but perhaps I will get some S2Ss with you and Helen during the week.

73, Robin GM7PKT.

In reply to GM7PKT:

In reply to G6WRW:
Good luck Carolyn. I am also hoping for good weather around that time.
I am planning to do some summits between Sunday 21st June and Sunday
5th July. Unfortunately I can’t play SOTA on Saturday 27th but perhaps
I will get some S2Ss with you and Helen during the week.

Martyn M(M)1MAJ and I M(M)3ZCB will be based in Crieff for the first of
those weeks, and weather permitting will aim to do at least one summit
a day from Sunday 21st to Friday 26th. Weather and traffic permitting
we might also fit in a small summit on Saturday 20th and/or 27th. So
we’ll be looking for some S2Ss as well.

Caroline M3ZCB.

hiya

Just sat in a cafe in Aviemore with internet access avoiding the high winds and rain ; we seem to be chasing the bad weather North :o(

Yesterday had a lovely evening walk on to Meall a’Bhuachaille (GM/ES-027)during a lull. Even though the rain had stopped where we were the Cairn Gorms were covered in very dark gray clounds.

The forecast for tomorrow is even higher windspeeds on the mountains so our activation of Ben Macdui is not going to be possible; we’ll have to come back another time.

The two big ones we’ve missed out on so far were only hors d’oeuvre with the main courses still to do :o)

Sunday the 21st we are going to be on Orkney so look out for a number of first time summits (possibly an evening activation on the Saturday we arrive).

Carolyn

In reply to M0YHB:

Orkney is a magical place. There are a number of touristy things you must fit in whilst you are there such as the Italian Chapel, Churchill Barriers, Scara Brae along with activations etc. Also don’t forget to visit Dunnet Head and Dounreay FBR either on the way to or from the ferry.

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi Andy,

You forgot to mention John O’Groats.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M0YHB:

If you’re sitting in Mambos I’m really jealous :slight_smile: They do a cracking hot chocolate.

Iain

In reply to M3EYP:

John’o’Groats has no redeeming features whatsoever.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

John’o’Groats has no redeeming features whatsoever.

I disagree the John O’Groats Hotel used to have the best selection of both beer and single malts I have ever seen. Hic!

Steve GW7AAV

We are waiting for the ferry now. Orkney is just a stepping stone to our main destination ;o) We were on the island for 12 hours two years ago and did the attractions you mentioned along with a few others. We get a day and a half this time but want to do some SOTA!

We also went to John O’Groats then but it was closed; probably looked the best it could have, sans tourists.

Sorry to those that missed us on Ben Macdui. The weather was ok when we were setting up (but no view) and then the 40 mph winds and horizontal hail like bullets began interpersed with very heavy rain making operating very difficult. Sorry but we were not going to hang around :o(

We may be on air later but in any case there should be some new hills tomorrow.

Helen and Carolyn

In reply to G6WRW:

We also went to John O’Groats then but it was closed;

It was particularly swinging when I visited and it was open! The hotel is closed down now. The photographer had gone home so the signpost was gone, it’s taken down so someone doesn’t steal it. Who would drive to a carbuncle on the bum of Scotland like John o’Groats and then steal the signpost?

I’ve had the misfortune of visiting places like Cumbernauld and Glenrothes. Awful 70s concrete urban planning nightmares. Whilst wandering the underpasses of the afore mentioned towns may result in you being mugged by a Ned in a hoody stoned on a mixture of prescription methadone, Buckfast Tonic Wine and Irn Bru (it’s made from girders you know) nothing prepares you for the drab nothingness of John o’Groats.

Contrast the awfulness with the delights of Durness at the Northwestern most bit of Scotland. John o’Groats is the starting place for many rallies and races. Why not Durness? Well it’s simple, nobody is every in a hurry to leave Durness :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF