GM/SS on 2m/70cm fm and HF in mid September

Thanks, Tom, for the congrats. Getting there on this trip was quite unexpected but the weather was pretty good and we turned out to be a little fitter than anticipated. A pity we missed the s2s on 20th. As regards completions I regard G as completed as I did Hensbarrow Beacon a long time ago and have done all the rest. SW we have done most of more than once; MW is missing Upper Park only and NW Y Llwydd only - when/if I get to do those remains to be seen but we have had our NW trip for this year as our usual social New Year break is unlikely to go ahead :unamused: .
Good luck with the one remaining and enjoy Scotland - there’s a real challenge as even those who live there find even completing SS pretty taxing.
Rod

1 Like

Only 5w Andy from FT-270 through a slim G antenna on a 4m roach pole. Great to work you S2S.

Congratulations Rod on your 500th unique! Very pleased to be able to work you S2S.

Notes for the first 18 summits - 6 more to follow shortly :slightly_smiling_face:

11/09/2020
Hightown Hill – GM/SS-273

An extended gateway verge about 200m N of Hightown allows one car to park. The gate gives access to a large field and another gate visible from the road allows exit to the hill-top. It looks steeper on the ground than on the map so we took a circuitous route on the S side of the hill.
I took a quick 2m FM call shared with Vicki to ensure a valid activation, found 60m pretty well dead and made three more on 80m to qualify the hill.
M6BWA: 2m-6, 70cm-4

12/09/2020
Steele’s Knowe – GM/SS-176

Parking spaces are provided at the entry to the wind-farm. We walked nearly to T5 – a mistake leaving us the wrong side of the wall; go right up to T5 and a good path leads to the trig.
Again a quick 2m FM, this time followed by four each on 80m and 60m with a bonus s2s with Jordan, MW3TMX/P on the infrequently activated Myarth – GW/SW-035.
M6BWA: 2m-4, 70cm-2 (not qualified on 70cm)

Moncrieff Hill – GM/SS-276

We reached Bridge of Earn much earlier than expected, so diverted to SS-276. The car park is clearly signed from the minor road along the S foot of the hill and was quite busy
mid-afternoon on a Saturday. The zigzag track leads to near the top of the ridge and finally curves around the hill-fort to reach the summit.
It was raining as we reached the summit but promised to clear so we got going fairly quickly. Only 60m was worked on this one - eight contacts started off by Allan, GW4VPX, and including a surprise contact, Ian, G4WFT, from the home city of Hereford.
M6BWA: 2m-7, 70cm-5

13/09/2020

A wet day in prospect so an early rest day was anticipated. Late morning showed both actual weather and forecast improving so we set off for Loch Glow.

Dumglow – GM/SS-234

After parking in an extended passing-place on Kirkhill Common we set off along the obvious track and followed the left turn to the end.

A signpost (!) indicates the rather damp path towards the SE spur of the summit and the stile exit from the forest. The summit area is a bit lumpy and there appears to be no obvious path to the trig so a little care is needed, especially if the cloud is down.
60m gave me 8 contacts, including a very welcome s2s from Graeme, MM0OAT/P on Bengray, SS-238. In spite of the time of day 80m produced 4 contacts – a weekend so I did not try 40m which would have been more suitable.
M6BWA: 2m-13, 70cm-4. More contacts on VHF on a weekend and a new calll sign for me: VE0HAK, William on a boat in the Firth of Forth using a ‘Canadian callsign for international voyagers’. Some problems with his signal were apparently caused by the marine engine!

14/09/2020

Meall Reamhar – GM/SS-105 and Meall nan Caorach – GM/SS-104

We were not sure that we were fit enough for this one. It might be described as our only real mountain walk of the trip as it actually required walking from one summit to another and they are both 2-pointers. It felt like it too – really wild country and hard going even on the path. We chose to do them in this order and really enjoyed the pleasant grassy walk off Meall nan Caorach back to the track near the fork where we left it on the way up. This was a great contrast to the slight struggle we had to find the right path up Meall Reamhar as none of the indistinct sheep paths we found actually wanted to go up the hill! The route across the col is steep on both sides.
A 2m FM s2s with MM0FMF/P on Ben Chonzie, SS-015, started us off well on Meall Reamhar. Five contacts each on 80m and 60m, including s2s with Allan, GW4VPX/P, on GW/SW-004, Waun Rydd – one of my favourite SW summits and the one I chose for my MG. A further 2m FM s2s with Mike, GM6WTM/P, on Ben Lomond, SS-011, completed the activation very nicely.
M6BWA: I was busy! SS-105: 2m-10, 70cm-5 with 2 s2s,

From Meall nan Caorach 7 contacts were made on 80m and 4 on 60m.
M6BWA: 2m-12, 70cm-8 with s2s GM0EVV on SS-114 and GM1OPO/MM3NTX on SS-214

15/09/2020

We reckoned on an easy day and only a fairly short drive – not quite what happened but we did make a late start.

King’s Seat – GM/SS-235

We chose the route via Fairygreen, following the track past the reservoir to a locked gate which we circumvented. ((On the way down we climbed over the gate!) EDIT 02/10/2020 - This is not true! From above there is a clearly visible stile the far side of the stream; we crossed the stream, the stile and stream again to reach the reservoir. ) There is a green track all the way up almost, if not actually, onto the summit. Five contacts were made on 80m and two on 60m.
M6BWA: 2m-8, 70cm-4

Craigowl Hill – GM/SS-192

This was a late addition to the plan, having been originally rejected on the grounds of mast QRM and driving distance. However, we were on the way there and Vicki had her filter so off we went. Limited but easy parking by the entrance to Coldstream and a walk up the metalled track – straight, steep and a bit soul-destroying with very few flowers to distract from the somewhat depressing view of the large masts ahead. (If you get the impression I did not enjoy this one very much you would be dead right.)
A fairly speedy four contacts on 80m were followed by no action at all that I could hear, so I went over to 60m; loud QRM right across the band. I should probably have set up on the SW spur at the very edge of the AZ but it was too late for that now.
M6BWA: 2m-5, 70cm-NIL I started by trying to qualify on 2m using just the stick aerial but this had only limited success so up went the dipole and with the Sotabeam filter things went better. I tried hard with the dipole (but not the 2m filter!) on 70cm but with no luck, with hindsight I should have gone back to the stick aerial for 70cm but it was not a good time of day (last contact 1716 UTC) to try for contacts and I was lucky to qualify on 2m.

16/09/2020

This was one of our more interesting days, taking us way across to the west near Callander to a pair of summits which looked interesting enough to be worth the drive,

Beinn Dearg – GM/SS-207

Good parking in a small lay-by near the entrance to the obvious track to the masts. A goodish path follows on from the track end to the actual summit. The walk down was extended somewhat by going back to collect the stick I had put down while shedding a layer or two as we dropped down out of the wind.

80m produced just a couple of contacts while a switch to 60m yielded six.
M6BWA: 2m-7, 70cm-4. I found the walk from the masts to the actual summit very challenging with steep descents (which we contoured round on the way back) and boggy tussocks but the chat on the way back with the engineers adjusting the satellite dish for the BBC DAB signal was interesting!

Craig of Monievreckie – GM/SS-223

A quite large forestry car park (with no evident closing time) gives access to several waymarked routes. We had a route from Jack, GM4COX, (thank you very much) which differed significantly from either of the ones that we had deduced from the map. The forest track took us around the S end of the rather impressive crag and then to a small path leading up to a gate in the fence. We found this path recommended disappeared into the bracken so we could not keep to the stream as mentioned in the instructions. The only available path took us over a couple of small summits and, as expected, left us looking at the summit the other side of a steep-sided valley. The only route was to descend abruptly and clamber up the other side – and the high bracken dictated that we had to repeat this route on our return.

Three contacts on 60m and six on 80m
M6BWA: 2m-11, 70cm-8. I had to shut down contacts on this hill as I was reaching Glasgow and beyond and it was nearly 1700 UTC when we left the summit with a difficult route to retrace.

17/09/2020

A compact cluster of three small summits not far to the E of Bridge of Earn looked possible if we made a prompt start. Most interesting looking first and least last.

Norman’s Law – GM/SS-262

This is a hill-fort largely surrounded by farm-land and we missed the exit from the forest into the fields because we were insufficiently alert. We reached the summit by a somewhat longer route and, for once, attempted to stay in the breeze instead of seeking shelter from it. The descent route was very obvious from the summit so we could see exactly where we had gone wrong. Unfortunately I failed to record its exact location except in general terms – by the track bend almost exactly due N of the summit.
Six contacts on 80m, eight on 60m and, just before packing up a 2m FM s2s with Adrian, MM0DHY/P, (M6BWA: and GM3YTS/P on 70cm/2m) on Ben Lawers, CS-001.
M6BWA: 2m-8, 70cm-6

Mount Hill – GM/SS-277

A short drive took us to the start of the expected path – and a sign pointing us further along the road for the public path to the monument. We were lucky to find a good bit of verge beside a gateway – how lucky we saw on the descent as we watched an enormous combine harvester inching its way very slowly past the car. The public path took us via a gravel track and a slightly circuitous and muddy path into the large enclosure around the monument. Descending by the same route we met Martin, 2M0KAU, who was on his way to an activation. The linked dipole required a bit of fitting in around the bushes (there is plenty of room in the enclosure).
As 13:30 UTC approached I went straight to 60m for six good contacts, followed by three on 40m.
M6BWA: 2m-8, 70cm-8. I had a loyal band of 70cm chasers by now!

Cairnie Hill – GM/SS-275

There is good parking at the entrance to the wood-yard just beyond the railway bridge. Walking beside the road is a little hazardous because of the double bend which limits visibility. We expected a fairly normal farm/forest track but this was something different. The very steep lower part had evidently been washed out fairly recently but the gullies had been remedied. Further up the gradient moderated but the track became as wide and well constructed as the wind-farm road onto Steel’s Knowe. The presence of large (tennis court plus) size level areas suggests that this is not co-incidence and the area will be embargoed for construction work very soon. This track took us to the general summit area and a short grassy walk led us to the summit cairn.
80m only on this one with eight contacts
M6BWA: 2m-6, 70cm-7. Last contact 1704 UTC – another long day.

18/09/2020

Creag na Criche – GM/SS-284

We used the parking area S of the footbridge which we crossed to reach the stile over the deer fence and then followed the good gravel track to the next stile. Once into the open hill-top land the route was less clear. We found a small path up onto and over the NE end of the hill and then followed the N side of the summit area to a broad re-entrant which took us to the summit.
A s2s contact with Jim, MM0GLM, on SS-010 on 2m FM got the activation off to a good start. This was followed by 12 contacts on 60m and nine on 40m.
M6BWA: 2m-13, 70cm-4 including s2s with Jack GM4COX on SS-038 (2m) and Andy MS0TA SS-010 on both bands (a complete for him). The weather was lovely but the flying ants weren’t!

Only one summit today as we were near the Bankfoot shopping experience and an opportunity to buy some Scottish provisions to distribute once back home.

19/09/2020

Saturday, so packing up and moving on to the Peebles area and needing a safe parking area for a fully laden car. Traquair looked like a good choice and was not too busy so we were soon ready for a short length of the CBDR.

Minch Moor – GM/SS-133

A good gravel track leads to the forest and a good path up onto the moor. We took a small path through the heather which made a change but was quite hard work – safer than ascending one of the bike descent routes! Setting up was less smooth on this hill in quite a strong wind – Vicki had an interested observer while I misjudged the guying and so tried to co-locate the mast with a substantial young fir tree.
James, M0JCQ/P, started me off well with a 2m FM s2s from Fairfield, G/LD-007; 60m yielded only 3 contacts and 40m with 7 including s2s with Klaus, DL2KL, on DM/BM-087.
M6BWA: 2m-10, 70cm-7, s2s with Matthew M7MZB on Great Gable LD-005 and also Steve M7XUP on a Wainwright LDW-134.

20/09/2020

The original plans for this day were flexible; do White Coombe via the Grey Mare’s Tail, book lunch at Tushielaw Inn, do Andrewhinney Hill, or something else. The day began with low cloud and light rain which came and went unpredictably. A short, easy activation seemed a good idea.

Cacra Hill – GM/SS-179

The new track goes into the far E part of the AZ and we walked W from it to the summit plateau for best take-off on 2m. Although windy it was dry enough to consider HF but a fairly speedy 3 s2s on 2m FM left the HF kit still in the bag and the expectation of a very brief activation. This was not to be – I ended up with 12 contacts on 2m FM including starting s2s with 2E0HQS/P on Stony Cove Pike, G/LD-018, 2E0VZZ/P on Great Mell Fell, G/LD-035 and Jim, MM0GLM/P on Beinn an t-Sidhein, GM/SS-127 as well as ending s2s with James, M0JCQ/P and Christina, M7CID/P on Grasmoor, G/LD-009.
M6BWA: 2m-12, 70cm-4 with s2s including LD-009 on 70cm.

It had by now fined up and several of the nearby summits had cleared so we decided on Ward Law as it was now too late to attempt Andrewhinney Hill…

Ward Law – GM/SS-119

Many different starts to this walk have been offered. We parked by the village hall and walked back along the road to a small track (shown on the OS map as a leading up to a small quarry). We had heard and seen a quad on this track and deduced (correctly) that it had come along behind the old school and other adjacent housing. So we got to the bottom of the hill without either crossing barbed wire fences, paddling across the burn or wandering through anyone’s garden. We then went straight up between Deep Syke and Roaring Syke on a steep grassy gap between stands of bracken. Once gradient and bracken had eased off we went via the sheepfold (mapped about 100m too near the burn) and the cairn to the summit. Vicki was on good form and left me way behind so I reached the summit to find her in s2s with James who had also moved on to a new summit.
A good start to the radio; s2s on 70cm FM with James, M0JCQ/P this time on Grizedale Pike, G/LD-015. This was followed by 14 contacts on 60m and 8 good contacts on 80m.
Bill, G4WSB, was kind enough to ask when I expected to reach 500 unique summits and I had to admit to losing count – perhaps even this one? He returned to confirm that it would be the next one
M6BWA: 2m-19, 70cm-9. A n amazing VHF and UHF LIFT (The best in 11 years of activating) and I will write a separate piece on my contacts which ranged from Grimsby and Aberporth to Cromer (Norfolk) and – almost – Belgium!

21/09/2020

So target day for number 500 – and, for reasons I no longer remember, we chose one of the shortest drives to our highest hill of the trip.

Windelstraw Law – GM/SS-087

The obvious place to park is the Sheep Pens; however, there is limited rough gravel verge parking and while we were booting up a local stopped her car to warn us that the logging lorries used this strip as passing-place and the car would be at risk. Much wider parking is available about 500m further S on the grass behind a passing-place. We moved the car and so walked back up the road to the gated track. The track has been much used lately and a new, wide, muddy large tracked vehicle track extends to the grouse butts. We found the old track better going.

A smaller tracked vehicle track extends beyond the grouse butts to the new microwave repeater in the summit area and we followed this and sheep tracks through the peat hags to the summit.

2m FM s2s with Christina, M7CID/P and James, M0JCQ/P this time on Pillar, G/LD-006 and with Adrian, MM0DHY/P on Carn a’Gheoidh, GM/CS-030 got me off to a good start and my first 80m contact, Esther, GI0AZA qualified unique summit number 500, activation number 1157. Eight more contacts on 80m, and nine on 60m followed and the activation closed with two more 2m FM s2s; Karen, 2W0XYL/P (the first contact for many years) on Arenig Fawr, GW/NW-011 and Alan, MM0VPM/P on Minch Moor, GM/SS-133.

M6BWA: 2m-16, 70cm-6 Rodney soon decided to leave me to sort out the welter of s2s and set up on HF but, thanks to John GX0OOO on G/NP-011, Nick G4OOE and Geoff M0PYG on G/NP-006 (thanks for the complete) were soon added to the list. We were all too busy to QSY to 70cm but when closing down Alan MM0VPM on Minch Moor gave me probably my quickest complete on both bands -2 days! MM0FMF had had to wait 12+ years for the 2 we had given him! It was a longish tramp across the bogs (which seemed drier on the way down – after the hours of sunshine!!) but it gave us time to discuss the many contacts and for Rod to realise that he really had completed the 500 unique summit total he had been chasing for years and hadn’t expected to complete on this trip as 18 new summits in the fortnight was beyond our wildest hopes – until we discovered that the weather was being very kind to us – and there are still 6 further activations to describe!

That’s two not-bad 2m FM S2S QSOs, 305km GM/CS-011<>G/NP-004 last Sunday and a 290km a week or so back GM/SS-064<>GW/NW-014 when Andrew G4VFL was on Mullwharchar and Craignaw.

1 Like

Many thanks, Karen, for the congrats. It was a great pleasure to have the s2s contact after so long a break. Hope for lots more before long.
73, Rod

1 Like

Nice one Rod.

I’m not sure you can consider G as completed without G/DC-008. It is over 50m higher than the old reference G/DC-004, so that old one isn’t in the activation zone (if it was, it wouldn’t have been allocated a new reference). The situation is frustrating certainly, especially with it being such a trek from civilisation, but we adhere to the definitive P150 list, maintained externally by the RHB / DoBH people.

In a purist’s sense, I am resigned to never completing G even myself. There would need to be seismic events in order for G/LD-002, G/LD-016, G/SB-002 and G/SB-003 to become available again. I guess it is possible to work on the G AM to get G/WB-024 removed and restored to its original SOTA reference of G/CE-006 though… :wink: [tongue-in-cheek joke alert]

The remaining GW summit depends heavily upon there still being a viable travel corridor to it that doesn’t breach Covid restrictions. At present, that is the case, but who knows about tomorrow, let alone in the days/weeks to come?

We’ve no aspirations to complete GM, so will cherry-pick those we fancy, with no sense of obligation to activate those we don’t

The summit descriptions now have some pictures - more when we get them from the other camera.
Rod

1 Like

Hmm… dodgy this maybe. To be VE0HAK he would need to be outside UK territorial waters and thus VE0HAK/MM. I’m not sure you can get into international waters and be in the Forth of Firth. So probably he should have been MM/VE0HAK/M. Or maybe not!

It used to say “tidal” waters as opposed to territorial in BR68. Not sure if that’s changed or not.

“Tidal” was potentially amusing as the Thames in tidal at Twickenham!

[Edit: it looks like the ‘tidal’ thing has disappeared - maybe the VE station had an old copy of BR68!]

I think the whole issue is as tricky as a bag of monkeys Tom which is why he may have been right. Or wrong. Or both ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rod and Viki.

First of all Rod, congratulations on the 500 and secondly thanks for the s2s contacts and all the chaser points from the other summits. I think the biggest chuckle we had was when you appeared on 60m to find me waiting for you with Don RQL thinking I was clairvoyant :grinning: .

And on to Viki and the s2s that was so near and yet so far. Manod Mawr 21/09 and I was in the middle of the s2s flurry with you a lovely 5/1. You completed with Nick and others but didn’t call me in as probably the others were strong signals and you never heard me. I went back to the calling frequency but you had dissapeared…ah well…no doubt we’ll have many more :joy:.

Great report and photos with more to follow so looking forward to that.

73 both

Hi Allan

Devastated to hear I missed getting a very good long distance s2s with Manod Mawr (and a chat with you, of course :cry:) on 21 September from GM/SS-087. After a couple of s2s with Pillar etc I found John GX0OOO hosting a s2s ‘talk-in’ so popped up to take the available contacts (after characteristic mangling of callsigns and names on my part) and then departed hastily so they could continue in a more orderly fashion.

That was when the problem occurred as I couldn’t find a free frequency and had to keep hopping down until I rested on 145.350 where I stayed (with diversions to 433.475 - did you try there??) until 1144 when I started to pack up but caught Karen 2W0XYL 41/31 at 1150 on GW/NW-011 Arenig Fawr - a distance of 310 km, thanks Karen! It’s possible your airways weren’t quite as busy so you didn’t realise what difficulties I might be facing - and that you might have to search a bit harder than usual :wink:. The remains of the previous day’s lift (about to write that up…) were still around. Looking forward to the next time… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

73 Viki

1 Like

All the top chasers have this power.

So many times I’ve completed a long arduous ascent to a summit, but made good time and found myself there 45 minutes ahead of my alert time. I set up, and hunt around for a clear HF frequency. Having found one I ask “Is the frequency in use please?” then to hear a reply like “G0VWP here for you Tom”. This happens too often for it to be random luck / coincidence.

1 Like

Hello Viki

I found a pair of Glasses at the trig point on Meall nan Caorach SS-104. I don’t suppose they happen to be yours ?

73 Rob GM3YTS

Thanks for the thought - we saw them there (with a bright cord of some sort) and thought the only safe thing was to leave them. Wonder how long they had been there? Did you bring them down? Hope you enjoyed the walk - did you cross the little wooden bridge? I will be adding a photo of that!

73 Viki

We brought them down as we thought they might be yours. They are reading glasses so I guess easily replaced.

Yes we crossed the little wooden bridge. I have activated these hills several times but it’s the first time I have used the bridge but on reflection it’s easier and shorter to follow the road further and cross a bit down from the Bealach.

It was a good walk in good weather

73 Rob GM3YTS

The remaining six summits

21/09/2020 PM

Cademuir Hill – GM/SS-219

Driving S from Peebles we found the car park for Cademuir Hill quite busy. The Red route took us around and up to the summit with distant views in the evening light…

Finding a space for erecting the 20/40/60m dipole was a challenge as the summit was covered with overgrown felling debris and there are bike track to avoid also. (Strong boots and robust gaiters advised!) The new growth was short so once erected the aerial was clear of obstructions. A vertical would be a lot easier.

Three contacts on 60m and a very brisk nine on 40m were followed by a somewhat chaotic disassembly with tangled guys, wire and feeder as every item lowered found its dead branches to snag, but there was a distant view of Peebles Hydro as Viki waited!

M6BWA 2m-6, 70cm-4

22/09/2020

It was now apparent that if the weather (and our energy) held there was a good chance of Vicki, M6BWA/P, also reaching 500 unique summits so short drives and fairly easy walks were a priority.

Sell Moor Hill – GM/SS-211

This was a fairly short drive and an easy looking walk although several contributors to the hill-bagging site reported problems with cows. We were lucky, found the gate from the wood into the western field and walked straight up on a faint track – no cows. The wall across the summit was disappointingly broken down so gave little shelter from the brisk, damp breeze. All the extra clothing was donned before setting up the mast and taking one leg of the dipole upwind for extra resilience. Fortunately the rain was confined to a few spots as I am not keen on deploying the bothy bag in exposed windy spots, expecting it to end up in the next parish.

Eleven contacts on 60m and just before we left 2m FM s2s with Ken, GM0AXY/P and Christine, GM4YMM/P on Norman’s Law, SS-262.
M6BWA 2m-6 (thanks to the s2s!), 70cm-NIL. A great struggle to get any replies and the steady drizzle didn’t help - hadn’t I bben lucky until then!

Meigle Hill – GM/SS-212

Watch out for those power lines as you straighten up Rod!

It seems there are several possible routes here; we chose to park at the waterworks and follow the path straight up and up the hill. The forest machinery was busy so not a very peaceful walk but, in due course, the VHF take-off will improve. Nice big wall here but the wind was blowing straight along it; there is also the power line, so I backtracked down the hill a bit away from the masts as well.

Ten contacts on 60m and seven on 40m, all continental, to end the HF activations. My apologies to the HF chasers but I was worn out and need to lighten my load.
M6BWA 2m-4, 70cm-NIL I used the 2m filter but not sure it was needed. I couldn’t shelter by the wall and the wind was wicked!

23/09/2020

Wether Law – GM/SS-177
There are probably many places to park here; we opted for the verge beside the drive entrance to Halmyre Mains. The CBDR takes a circuitous route around Green Knowe, the southern spur off Wether Law. We opted to go straight across the (very busy and fast - we nticed a speed camera there when we passed a day later!!) A701 and find the gravel road past farmland, small crag and reservoir into the square patch of forest. This turns NE at the top of the hill and reaches a substantial deer fence. Alongside this is a ride with a small path down to the stream and wall/fence. Crossing both easily leads into an apparently pathless bog.

This shows our route down beside the deerfence on the right of the tall trees and iover the stream into the bog. However, this has some raised dykes which allow a sort of zigzag progression until a selection of paths appears. We followed those that led into the wide re-entrant and then up its northern slope, finding these less steep than the rest of the area, and approaching the trig from NW.

Joint activation M0JLA took 5 of Vicki’s 2m FM contacts and one on 70cm
M6BWA 2m-6, 70cm-6 A bit of height does help the signal and 70cm reached Crieff, Greenock and Glasgow…

Mendick Hill – GM/SS-195

We parked on a bit of gravel verge by the side road and just past the turn signed to Sandy Hill Cottage. This we took and it led us past a large expanse of very posh poly-tunnels to the open hillside below the hill. The hill is very steep on the SE side and was saw no obvious route. A good grassy path led around the S part of the hill and showed clear signs of having been mowed! However, the mower gave up before the bracken did and left us with a slightly difficult section before the rough grass opened out. We then came upon the path evidently used by those who know and followed it a short way to the trig and a memorial bench which was rather comfortable!

We then followed the steep path down southwards
until it doubled back, avoiding the steepest ground and debouched onto the flat near the forest. Other people appeared there so there must be a shorter route. We then followed the stream down to join the good track near the gate.)
Joint: M0JLA took six contacts on 2m FM and one on 70cm.
M6BWA 2m-6, 70cm-5 including contacts with GM1OPO and MM3NTX who had decided to take their daily walk to the West Water reservoir below

and watch us (by telescope) setting up on the summit. As the first hill was harder work than expected we deferred our arrival time so thay had a somewhat longer wait than expected but had never ending skeins of migrating geese to watch.

24/09/2020

Allermuir Hill – GM/SS-171

With a fine day in prospect and a good parking tip from Andy, MM0FMF, this was an obvious choice. (Beware of satnav taking a route through a gated private area near Loganbank if parking at the rifle range.) No firing today; some sort of field exercise instead. A good, easygoing gravel track all the way to the col. Good grassy path to the summit on the W side of the fence. Striking views across Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth with the bridge superstructures shining in the sunshine. Unfortunately we lacked time and energy to explore this very interesting hill further.

but there wasroom for us both

Joint: M0JLA stopped after 6 contacts on 2m FM including s2s with Mark, MM0RYP/P, on Craigowl Hill, SS-192!

but M6BWA continued…

M6BWA 2m-9, 70cm -8 with contacts including Perth, Edinburgh (below our feet), Leven, Greenock and Glasgow so we could say good-bye to some of our contacts who had accompanied us on our journey over 24 Marilyns in 14 days of what seemed like quite hard work - eventhough we had chosen almost the the easiest summits in range from both of our temporary QTH (W of Perth and Cardrona, E of Peebles). Thank you to all who helped us to reach the 500 uniques milestone - we couldn’t have done it without you.

The aim of the GM/SS expedition was to gain as many new summits as possible towards the 18 that Rodney needed to attain the 500 unique summit total which he had been aiming for druing the last few years. I was lagging a further 6 behind (not have activated 5 Irish summits and Tryfan in North Wales) so I wanted as many as possible. We had tremendous luck and the weather wasmostly super (even a bit warm near Perth - which explains the appearance of the sunhats!!) and we (just) clocked up the magic 24 new summits before starting the long journey back to the Welsh border with any uniques a very long way away.

Thanks for the contacts - and the weather!!

1 Like

Just to say that we have finally finished uploading our accounts and pictures of our 24 activations of very small Marilyns in GM/SS land and we have many good memories of our visits. We hope it won’t be long before we have a chance to visit a few of the many other summits that are still on the list and - if you are lacking ideas I suggest a quick visit to the top of our last hill - Allermuir Hill GM/SS-171 with a splendid view of Edinburgh and beyond and a magnificent toposcope

which seems to be specially desinged to suggest further SOTA summits to be visited and a few we have already visited during the last 3 visits

but I know Green Lowther is still on the list…

Viki

1 Like

Hi both

Well done Viki on the 500 uniques and not far behind Rod…wonder how you are going to catch up :thinking:

Thanks for all the wonderful photos of your activations…so nice to see you both in them as well…videos next time :wink:

No doubt catch you soon for an s2s in GW :crossed_fingers:

73 & 88 de Allan