GM/SS-085 Uamh Bheag

My apologies for not putting in an activation report for this hill – let us say I have been a little under the weather (man flu!).

This summit had not been activated before so, for reference, the parking place at NN711162 is big and the route I used with my son-in-law was as per Pocket Mountains “Southern Highlands” page 28. The first time I have actually used one of these routes exactly as written – great.

The ascent from NN702133 is STEEP, especially in snow, and this is a hard 2 pointer, be warned. The route could be easily extended to include SS-149, still unactivated, but check for red flags on the drive-in. The route to SS-149 will take you through an abomination of a wind farm which probably proves hazardous to the Red Kites we saw on the way down. Keep to the west of the burn on the bog below the ridge on the way down to easily access a bridge while the burn (Allt Ollach) may prove difficult to cross on the descent too (there is a bridge on the ascent).

To make sure radio is mentioned in this post – 5MHz was OK but with deep qsb and this was the first time I have failed to complete with GW0VMZ; 7MHz was a dog – the ionosphere had committed sepuku and I was dragged off the hill and out of the wind before I could try anything else! Beautiful weather, deep snow and a wind chill of about -15C.

Barry GM4TOE