GM/ES-025 - a heat failure

Apologies to all who saw my alert for today for Carn na Drochaide. I got 2/3 of the way up but had to call it a day due to the heat. Taking into account how I was feeling and what I could see still to be climbed I reluctantly decided to head back down. Although not quite as hot as England, Deeside today was virtually cloudless, 27C with hardly a breath of wind. Hey ho, at least I know the route for the next time I give it a try.

73 Simon

10 Likes

It is a wise man who knows when to call it a day. I climbed and activated Grassmoor G/LD-009 on the Tuesday of the last heatwave. I set off at 0530 (with 4liters of water) and still did not miss all of the heat. I added up, it was 6litre between wees (apologies). I climbed a mountain in Pakistan in 2000 with an air temperature of 42C. Had to abandon the ascent when my boot soles became flappers (glue melted).
As you say Simon it will still be there tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up.
David
G0EVV

8 Likes

Wise move Simon. No summit is worth a personal risk. Everything in the shack here had its cooling fans running, too, so I gave up chasing early on. Frustrating though it is, there’ll be many other more comfortable days for you. All change shortly though - unplugging the antennas now before predicted thunderstorms arrive later tomorrow. Hope to catch you on a summit again soon. 73 Mike :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sota is not only about radio. Sota is also about mountain ! The first letter is summit ! And mountain is by far more dangerous than radio. In mountain, our own safety and security comes first. You took the right decision !

9 Likes

Good precaution Mike. I don’t have any permanent antennas at home, but I may unplug my wifi server if things look bad. Quite a few years ago I came back from hols to find my phone line,modem(remember those :)) and PC board burned out due to nearby lightning strikes.

73 Simon

3 Likes

Hi Simon,

good decision.

Remember in Scotland, if it is not raining, it will be shortly!!!

Ciao

Colwyn

4 Likes

and a quote I heard last night attributed to Billy Connolly - “if you don’t like the weather in Scotland, just wait 20 minutes.” :rofl:

3 Likes

And as we learned when living in Fort William: “If you can’t see the top of Ben Nevis it’s raining - and if you can see it, it’s about to rain…!”

3 Likes