Glyder Fawr - Job for Andy

GW/NW-003 Glyder Fawr - Surveyors have now revealed that the summit, believed previously to top out at 999 metres (3,277 ft), does in fact reach the kilometre mark. The mountain was confirmed to be 1,000.8 metres, and becomes the fifth Welsh super mountain.

Time to up-date the database and a job for Andy MM0FMF me thunks.

Leave me and Andy alone you rotter. Look a little closer to home and contact the Welsh Association Manager :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW7AAV:

Yes, the MT know of this. However, until it’s officially announced by the RHB it’s still 999m. After that the AM needs to do his stuff, and it’s still 999m. Then assuming I know how many blue beans make five, I can pull the “update stuff” lever and get all the cog wheels to turn. Then on the date published it becomes worth 10 points.

Or simple words, it could be sometime before it get’s promoted.

Will you be the first 10pt activator?

And has the fact the mountain has grown 5ft 11in been Twitfaced yet?

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to GW7AAV:

Yes, the MT know of this. However, until it’s officially announced by
the RHB it’s still 999m.

Think you’ll find NW-003 has alreay had quite a few 10 point activations! Roger must’ve always known it was over 1000m :slight_smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All,

It was offically announced this evening that Glyder Fawr GW/NW-003 now has that Height of 1000.8 meters, however this summit was always a 10 pointer.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

I thought you might bite :0) (a previous heated discusion springs to mind) but I had not seen the news of said hill being promoted anywhere on the reflector so I thought it worth a mention.

I am finding it all a bit amusing but…

There are implications for map-makers, walkers and runners. Future editions of maps will have to be altered to reflect Glyder Fawr’s new status, and tourism brochures will have to be redesigned. A race taking in the Welsh peaks above 1,000 metres will be rethought and a flood of extra walkers is expected to arrive in Snowdonia to bag the fifth super mountain.

I can just imagine the fell runners saying “Oh great now we have to do another one!”, but then those guys/gals are just bonkers so they probably will think it is great. “Why do you do it?” “Because it feels so good when I stop!”

I don’t think I will be doing it any time soon, not without a companion who does not mind walking with a snail.

I am sure the details will have been Tweeted in the interest of Welsh pride. Bigger, better, higher more.

Regards Steve GW7AAV

In reply to G4MD:

Of course, it’s one of those soft Southern shandy drinking hills. And you need to be over 1100m to get 10pts here. Shows what a long day I’ve had (started 8.00am finished 6.45pm but I’m just about to have another 2-3hrs on the laptop).

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi All,

Just you let you know of some other GW SOTA summit updates, Rhiw Gwraidd GW/MW-024 needs to have its grid reference changed and Tryfan GW/NW-006 needs to have its height changed.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to GW7AAV:
What is a “super-mountain”? That’s a new expression for me!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It exceeds an arbitrary measurement, in this case 1000m.

As this mountain exceeds 1000m it will now be added to many more “must climb lists”. It’s like the fact that because a mountain exceeds 914.6m, every Tom, Dick and Harry will want to want to climb it whilst often ignoring many other better looking or enjoyable mountains.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to GW7AAV:
What is a “super-mountain”? That’s a new expression for me!

I think it means that anyone who climbs it is now entitled to wear their underpants on the outside and change in telephone boxes, but I’m not sure.

Steve GW7AAV

I think ‘super’ is an oft used prefix, to create a sense of importance about some arbitrary category that doesn’t really exist. Except Super Noodles of course, where the use of this adjective is entirely appropriate.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

It exceeds an arbitrary measurement, in this case 1000m.

Relative to a reference level which is itself somewhat arbitrary (in particular one that is about 1m different from the best current estimate of the Geoid).

In reply to M1EYP:

Super Noodles… rubbish. It has to be Cup-a-Soup.

Just like the boys from Slade, Lunch flavour is my favourite. - YouTube

Andy
MM0FMF