GI SOTA Trip

Then may the best man win! Not that SOTA’s competetive of course :wink:

An ambitious programme - have a great time :smiley:

73 de Paul G4MD (who will be back in his cupboard by then)

1 Like

Hi Jimmy, I think you’ve mistakenly put GM instead of GI for Tom’s alert for Slievemore on 30/5.
Or maybe the skullduggery has already started?:wink:
Enjoy!

1 Like

Corrected.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Only 1 week to go until we are in GI. It would be great to try and work me on either 2m FM or 40m SSB and my dad Tom M1EYP on 40m CW, 30m CW, 20m CW or 2m FM.

Jimmy M0HGY

Will there be a WAS Award (worked all soups) ?

I don’t think there will be Andy.

Jimmy M0HGY

Might not be any soup at all Andy. The place we’re staying at doesn’t do breakfasts and therefore I don’t expect there to be a facility for preparing soup either.

We’ll see. If not, then you’ll have to wait until our YHA based SOTA trip to Snowdonia in August.

There probably will be soup, where are are staying does do breakfast, but is not included. This means we would have to pay extra if we do want a breakfast, but hopefully even if you don’t have a breakfast they will still kindly warm up our soup.

Jimmy M0HGY

This what the internet was made for. We’re sat 10 feet from each other in the same room having this conversation… In silence…

3 Likes

Yeah, well, you need Skype if you want to actually talk :wink:

4 Likes

Nearly time now! Will be packing and prepping this evening and tomorrow morning, and sailing Sunday morning. SOTA activating from Monday.

We’ll try to keep the alerts up to date with any changes, but careful listening to the announced SOTA refs will be essential I expect!

Ready for a holiday - really looking forward to this.

1 Like

Good luck Guys!

Ed DD5LP.

Given the current state of 40m, do you have any plans for 60m, chaps?

No plans for 60m, sorry Dave. We’ll be pretty far out west (Omagh, Enniskillen etc) so you never know, the skip might just drop into England.

Fingers crossed, but it’ll have to be a bit shorter than today - I was struggling with the Highlands!

We seem to be able to work G stations from our summits on 40m so far. I’m almost always getting replies from G on 40m CW. We were working the WABers on 7.160 (when the G4 QRM allowed) and Jimmy had a belting G pile up on 7.165 SSB on our last summit today - Dooish GI/SW-006 - phew what a steep slog that was!

Anyway, everything seems to be going unnervingly to plan. Well most things. First two days has seen us activate all 8 alerted summits, and the fantastic wx here in the NW of Ireland is set to continue all week.

On the down side, Jimmy suffered a rechargeable AA battery fail today, and my flask started behaving like a hot water bottle. So today’s tarka dhal soup was lukewarm, while yesterday’s ham and sweet corn chowder was an unintended gazpacho.

We have purchased necessary items so Jimmy will be back on his 817 all day tomorrow, and the soup should be piping hot.

1 Like

Current summit only ever activated twice before, and HGY needing qsos. Fill yer boots!

Sadly, I can’t hear him through the continental QRM again.

Brian

Just managed a QSO, but those continentals were loud - I think I hit it lucky when they paused for a very occasional breath!

Jimmy was trying to tell you H14 square as well Dave. Thanks for calling