GI/AH activations

Just got home from a few days in GI and managed to activate Divis (AH-004) and Slemish (AH-007).
While Slemish went like a dream, I must apologise to any chasers trying to work me on Divis.
All started well on 40 metres, but after only a few contacts my radio (ATS4) just appeared to go deaf. I noticed that the S Meter was almost full scale, yet I could not locate any obvious carrier. I can’t believe it was front end overload as it was not present all the time, but kept coming back after I started transmission!
Moving as low as possible to get away from the adjacent RF sources in the AZ didn’t improve matters.
I was convinced my rig was faulty as it occurred also on 20 metres when I tried there.
Subsequent testing and successful activation of Slemish tell me that all is well yet the blocking on Divis remains a mystery.

As a new activator I now also have the greatest respect for those who go out in all weathers. Divis turned form being bleak and cold to wild, wet, windy and freezing. I was quite happy to pack up and get away after my 12 contacts!

In contrast Slemish was activated on a dream day. On top, it was like a summers day! My only regret is not being spotted on 7Mhz even though I was worked a few regulars. Still, 41 contacts in the log will do fine.
Looking forward to more GI’s in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3809561606494.2167668.1501105668&type=1&l=fd141ceeca

Pete

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete,
I was pleased to work you on Divis. Interesting your comments on RX de-sensing. I operated from there on 2m ssb at Easter and noted a marked increase in local RF de-sensing on 144MHz SSB, compared to previous activations. I noted that there are two large TV transmitter masts on the hill, digital and analogue, so perhaps there has been an increase in Digital TX power since my last visit. I expect they are using broadband power amplifiers. I was able to reduce the interference by rotating the Horizontal 2M yagi and phasing out the qrm. It made working the stations down towards London difficult.
Pity your WX was bad; I had a nice day for my brief activation.
73, Frank

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete,
nice to work with you S2S on Slemish AH-007 from TN-024, here is some photos: SOTA OM/TN-024 Klapy 654 m.n.m. – Igor – album na Rajčeti
I hope cu again.

72 Igor OM3CUG Home pages OM3CUG/QRP - Welcome!

In reply to OM3CUG:

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete,
nice to work with you S2S on Slemish AH-007 from TN-024, here is some
photos: SOTA OM/TN-024 Klapy 654 m.n.m. – Igor – album na Rajčeti
I hope cu again.

72 Igor OM3CUG Home pages OM3CUG/QRP - Welcome!

Hi Igor. Great to have the S2S.
I’ll get round to submitting my log shortly!
As luck would have it, I recorded you calling CQ so you can see it at

More video to come later when I get some time…
GL
72 Pete

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete,
really very nice for me to listen sigs from my ATS3B QRP CW SMD Transceiver ATS-3B podľa KD1JV – Igor – album na Rajčeti with your ATS4! Thanks for recording our S2S QSO, I saved it as nice memories…nice view from AH-007.
72 Igor OM3CUG G QRP club 5976

In reply to OM3CUG:
Igor,
That’s great, an ATS S2S!
Love your 3B, I’m just about to start building my MTR (Steve’s latest Altoids offering) and looking forward to getting it out on the hills.
Yes, AH-007 is lovely when the sun shines!

Pete