German ALPS Explorer Award #001 - Activator - rece

German ALPS Explorer Award #001 - Activator - received

In 2009 I didn’t activate any summit due to moving of house, little kids and heavy job-QRL, but I wanted to activate summits again in the following year.

The SOTA-DL Association had created an award program, so I selected the
“German ALPS Explorer” Award as the target for 2010.

The award requires 2…4 activated summits from EACH of the 9 Regions in
the German ALPS Association.
Checking database and award requirements showed that I stille needed 10 summits in four regions (DL/AM, DL/WS, DL/CG, DL/BG) to fulfill the award requirements.

Database also revealed that Dziannis DD1LD only needed one more summit (in the Allgaeu-Alps Region) to achieve the award - needed to be fast to achieve the award #001.

My wife DB1YL supported as well but requested a family-friendly way of the activations.

Usually I return home from QRL around 8pm - too late for an evening SOTA.

My daughters (3 & 4y) are too young to take them on challenging tours and
they also don’t like to miss me on weekends - when to do the activations ?

Fortunately I could do a few home-office days in summer allowing me to take-off from home by car around 3:30pm.
Driving time is around 2 hours.

Plus hiking, operating and descending it was possible to reach the car at 10pm when it got dark.

So I had several very nice ‘After Work SOTA’ activations in summer 2010.

Thanks to all chasers !

Later the year the award arrived, chasers can also apply for it, see link here:

73 andy DL2DVE

In reply to DL2DVE:

“Database also revealed that Dziannis DD1LD only needed one more summit (in the Allgaeu-Alps Region) to achieve the award - needed to be fast to achieve the award #001.”

Well done on #001 Andy. It’s amazing what a little competition does.

Richard
G3CWI

Congratulations Andy on achieving #001 on the German ALPS Explorer Award.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to G3CWI:

yes Richard, even SOTA should be non-competitive, in this case I tried to be as fast as possible due to the obvious ‘peer pressure’ :wink:

looking forward to the next applicants.

73 andy DL2DVE

In reply to DL2DVE:
As a Hungarian saying tells, you “overtook and won by a length of a nose”! :slight_smile: It was a nice finish, congratulations, Andy! Poor Dziannis DD1LD… But he will be honorary #1 for us! Thanks for the activations of both of you and, please, don’t you stop now! :wink:

73: Jóska, HA5CW

In reply to HA5CW:
won’t stop Joska, thinking now about the challenges in 2011 - maybe a few of the
’Never Activated Summits’ in DL/MF, and trials on 80m.

CU on the bands

73 andy DL2DVE