gb10sota

In reply to M0MDA:
Hi Mick,
Unfortunately I’m just too busy at the weekends to activate these days sorry. Any chance you can take a 2m handie into work to use during your lunch break?

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX: Hi Roger, thanks very much for your reply.

I could take a handheld in but i work in Leeds city centre and its very poor for VHF, so no chance of making the trip.

Good luck with your activations of GB10SOTA

73 de Mick, M0MDA

I arrived at Pen y Pass car park at 7.30am covered with low cloud, heavy rain and strong winds. After waiting for about an hour to see if there would be an improvement I reluctantly decided to head back home. The weather would have been just too bad at the top to activate.

I have only next Monday left to use this special callsign so fingers crossed all goes well.

Sorry to anyone who was waiting for a contact today, especially VK3WAM, that would have been a nice S2S.
Roger GB10SOTA MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:
Same here Roger,looks like a museum day!Still here next Monday,so hope for better wx
73 Rob and Audrey
GD4RQJ

In reply to MW0IDX:

I arrived at Pen y Pass car park at 7.30am covered with low cloud,
heavy rain and strong winds. After waiting for about an hour to see if
there would be an improvement I reluctantly decided to head back home.
The weather would have been just too bad at the top to activate.

You’ve obviously got a lot more sense than me Roger. I got to the NW access to Glasgwm decided that the light rain would soon stop so went ahead. No too bad through the forest but once on the fell the rain started to steadly get worse. But I was over half way there so I went on. Aa I made the final accent to the summit the rain eased.

Got to the top and down it came again, but I was here now so at least I’d try an activation.

So there I was crouched over the kit box mic in one hand, chinagraph pencil in the other and the laminated copy of a blank log resting on the top of the box.

“CQ SOTA GW1FOA/P CQ CQ” 5 minutes and five contacts later and I was ready to pack up and get down again. Given the nature of the ground the desent was fairly causious.

By the time I got back to the car I was soaked to the skin. I literally
don’t have one dry piece of clothing on. I had a spare jumper in the boot but no socks, trousers or under pants. So I changed into the jumper took the both pairs of socks off. What was I going to do about the trousers - well I got my waterproof ones out of the rucksack and changed into them, (always knew they’d come in handy sometime). Then the rain stopped!!!

My thanks MW3YMI, MW3GKI/M, MW0BLU, MW0IML & MW0WEE for the chasing.

If the equipment and me have dried out by then and it’s not raining I might just might go up again tomorrow

Peter
G(W)1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

That reminds me of a day out I had in pre-SOTA days, the days when you didn’t need a mortgage to park at Pen y Pass! It was raining hard and blowing harder, but hey ho! We’re climbers, we’re hard men, so it was heads down and into the clag! As we approached the railway the rain stopped and the cloud lifted, and at the summit we got our reward: the cloud was just above our heads, the valleys were a sea of white, and half-way between the two was a thin broken band of cloud, a magical experience - sliced mountains!

Needless to say, the heavens opened again as we descended, and despite waterproofs the tent was steaming from wet clothes that evening so we retreated to the Vaynol Arms!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MW0IDX:
Many thanks for all the contacts I had today, I’ll write up a report in time for next month’s SOTA news.

Roger MW0IDX GB10SOTA

In reply to MW0IDX:
Today I’ve received the QSL cards for this SES back from the printers. The direct requests that I have received so far will be sent off tomorrow.

Thanks & 73

Roger MW0IDX GB10SOTA