Gaulfest

Whatever happened to this bizzarely named SOTA event? Will there ever be another?

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:
My only recollection of this event was when I activated Tal-y-Fan (GW/NW-040) with Mark, M0DEV, on 29th Dec 2004. Also involved were John, GW4BVE on Gwanceste (GW/MW-010); Alan, M1EYO on Corndon Hill (GW/MW-013) and John as GX0OOO on Burnhop Seat (G/NP-003).

73 Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA: I too, like Richard (G3 CWI), remember the Gaul Fest. I seem to recollect it was a very informal gathering. Together with Keith, G0 OXV and Stuart, M0 MJG, we activted Rhialgwm (NW-046) on this date. My log shows that we worked John, GWBVE and Sam GW0 UPT on NW-010 together with many others.

We then nipped round to Long Mynd, WB-003 and were joined by both John and Sam and I think Sam’s Dad. Several stations were worked and apologies to those not mentioned.

Afterwards we went for some butties, coffee etc in Church Stretton. A great time was had by all. Memory is a bit hazy but when the brown bits start to overcome the grey bits onb your scalp you do forget things

Personally I think it was a great way to round off the Xmas activities, never mind working off some the calories gained from gorging too much Xmas pudd and white sauce, Christmas Cake and the like. I for one would like to see reinstated

Would be nice to see it back on the calender (not forgetting the SOTA Bar B Q)

P S Do not forget the NW Weekend.

G6 DDQ (Myke)

I fondly remember the first one in 2003. Super day, and we were blessed with lovely crisp winter weather and snow (on the ground) and sun, but no wind or precipitation. We all gathered at Mr Bun’s The Bakers in Church Stretton, some for meals, some for snacks, some just for coffee. A great event, and I would love to join in again. Unfortunately, other commitments have prevented me from getting out to it since.

I remember M0DFA, G6DDQ, G3XWB?, M1EYO, G0OXV, G0MJG and of course two now SKs, MW0YLS and G7GOD, included in those who were there. It would be nice to do it again.