Galashiels Rally

It’s the Galashiels Rally this Sunday and there are normally a fair few SOTAists in attendance. So who’s up for a bimble up one of the local lumps in the morning before the rally? There’s Meigle Hill SS-212,Eildon Mid Hill SS-214 and Black Hill SS-253 to pick from.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy.
There is another local lump in area just north of Galashiels and east of Meigle Hill GM/SS-212. Sell Moor Hill GM/SS-211 is an easy 1 pointer, park south of the hill near an access road to a farm. Just follow the wall to the right of you until you you get up to the trig point.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Andy and Jimmy,

My preference would be Eildon Mid Hill as it is more spectacular and has a pleasant if somewhat challenging ascent route. However, I doubt the summit is large enough to take a crowd. Sell Moor Hill is also pleasant, with equally easy access from the north off the B road. Personally I found Meigle Hill rather dreary with the towers on the summit and path on VHF to the south somewhat inhibited by the woods. Being in clag all day didn’t help!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Well as it was the WX wasn’t nice. I try not to be a fair weather activator but I wasn’t prepared to get out of the car by the time I passed Meigle Hill on the way back from the rally and by the time I was about 10 miles from home the cross wind was so ferrocious I was having difficulty steering. Of course the raindrops the size of golf balls didn’t persuade me to venture out either!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

Wise decision - the hills will be there for another year.

73, Gerald