G6WRW on WSPR

Hi Carolyn,

Not really a SOTA topic, but I was receiving your 0.1 watt WSPR signal very well on 5 MHz yesterday on my 100 ft doublet.

I did put out a signal for about 15 minutes (33% transmitting), but unfortunately I can’t run less than 5 watts with my TS690S and it was immediately obvious that the signal is far too powerful for WSPR. So I switched it off to avoid annoying the other users. I’ll have to try again on lower power when I get an interface rigged up for my FT817.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Try reducing the audio drive more Walt. A few resistors and/or a pot on the PC audio output may be enough to help you get down further.

A simple way to play whilst you do the job properly for the 817.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yes, worth a try. I find reducing the audio gain does reduce the power output, but it won’t stay at a constant level.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

100mW is the lowest output I can measure accurately.

Your 5W was fine, there is no problem WSPRing at that level. As long as you keep the alc in check the signal will not cause a problem.

I had been receiving G4ZFQs 2mW signals (0.002 Watts)

Carolyn

In reply to G3NYY:

…I can’t run less than 5 watts with my TS690S and it was immediately obvious that the signal is far too powerful for WSPR.

Bizarrely, that is what appears to be the norm for WSPR. Quite often on 7MHz my S meter reads S7 or more with WSPR signals. I usually run 1W on 7MHz or 21MHz which is sufficient to get out with my wire dummy load in the back garden, but each to his own - I did note one station running 200 watts!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G6WRW:

I had been receiving G4ZFQs 2mW signals (0.002 Watts)

Yes, I was receiving him here as well. Amazing with 2 mW!

I think it’s a bit antisocial to be too strong on WSPR. It tends to depress people’s AGCs. The same applies to JT65.

On my rig, the AGC can’t be switched off; it can only be set to “slow” or “fast”.

Walt (G3NYY)