G4YSS: GM/NS-037 First Act'n on 12-09-14

Meallan Choire Liath Mhic Dhugaill = Rounded hill of the grey coire MacDougall.

A very descriptive name as it’s rounded and has a grey stone coire. It’s all quite simple really!
I’m glad you’ve done this as it’s a big’un and I can use your route when I’m next in those parts. I remember admiring it from Ben Stack, mighty fine it looked. When I checked out the map I saw it would be a fairly big day so would warrant a proper activation.

I’m surprised you had no phone signal… there’s a mast just by Laxford Bridge which is LOS to MCLMDhugaill that has Orange 1.8GHz and O2/Vodpahone 900MHz cells. I can remember sitting in my car by Lock Stack Lodge getting a blob on signal. A phone on 3 would roam to Orange (EE) as would a T-mobile phone. In places which are remote, hanging your phone in a bag off the mast about 1.5m AGL is a good move, it keeps the phone’s antenna from getting eclipsed by your body (a big bag of salt water) that attenuates RF very well at these frequencies! In general, the far North has really splendid mobile coverage.

You could always use RBNgate to spot your SSB signal. If you are going to activate as GS0OOO then what you could do is put an alert for the summit in as GM4YSS. So when you can’t get a phone signal you start CQing as GM4YSS on 14.0276 which gets spotted. You have Roy primed so when he sees a GM4YSS spot on 14.0276 he spots GS0OOO on 14.276 SSB (i.e CW kHz x10). It doesn’t matter that nobody works GM4YSS because the SSB chasers get to work GS0OOO when they wouldn’t have otherwise. And if someone comes back to GM4YSS, work 'em and log 'em. Simples!