Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

G4YSS Act’n. Rprts, NP-018 & NP-031 16-12-07


G4YSS Act’n. Reports for G/NP-018 (Nine Standards Rigg) & G/NP-031 (Birks Moor) 16-12-07

All times UTC on 16 December 2007.

Driving by 04:45 and walking, from NY 8084 0429 on the B6270, by 07:14. Loading a previous track in the GPS helped to keep me on the path. It was dark, very cold and quite windy. I had to avoid sheets of ice but at least the bogs were solid and there was no low-cloud for a change.

The path goes to the ‘Nine Standards’ via a pillar with a brass plate, identifying surrounding summits. If the trig point is the destination, it’s necessary to ‘bail-off’ right, going cross-country for about 200m.

For a change, I elected to go to the Standards because I haven’t seen them close to, since I took my two lads up there on 25th August 1992. They are much tidier than I remember them. Someone has obviously done a lot of work in refurbishing them to a very high specification; some complete with seat-ledges. All my previous activations of NP18 have taken place near the trig point where there is no shelter so I wish I’d known then about the ruin at NY 8251 0651. Its walls provide fairly good shelter and at 650m, it is well inside the activation area.

NINE STANDARDS RIGG, G/NP-018, 662m, 4Pts, 07:54 to 10:15. Minus 4 deg.C, 25 mph wind. Overcast with brief sunshine. Haze but no low-cloud. (IO84UK, WAB NY80)

It was a cold, windy place today. Including photography, it took me 25 minutes to be ready for action but I was in no rush. Arriving ahead of schedule in bitter weather, is something that concerns me a little, especially on Sundays. I couldn’t find a clear frequency, trying first 3.724 and then 3.726. However, someone was combing the 80m band for my CQ’s and this time Fritz DL4FDM was first on the scene. I later found out that ‘UK SOTA Monitoring Station’ G4SSH/A in Cornwall, had ‘twigged’ my ‘QRL?’ and spotted me on 3.724 CW, 2 minutes prior to this. What service, but Roy could do no more than that; his indoor antenna will not handle 80 for transmitting.

Perhaps because it was Sunday, the noisy band made things a lot more difficult than I’ve enjoyed of late. Time and again, there seemed to be a lack of reciprocity. People were hearing me well, whilst I was barely hearing them. The R5 reports I was giving out were big fibs. Few were any better than R2. This was really embarrassing when 599 came back from John G4WSX after a QSY ‘down one’ made little difference to the receive performance. Being quite used to it being the opposite way round, this was baffling indeed. I glanced suspiciously at the inscrutable looking Nine Standards. Could these piles of stones be a source of interference like the monolith in the film 2001?

Seven QSO’s were all I could manage in CW. SSB was little different noise-wise except that I worked a more respectable 20. I wouldn’t mind but I lugged seriously heavy gear up here to run QRO but in the ears of the remote stations, with whom I would be that much stronger, it must have made me seem even more stupid.

It was a relief when the time for a QSY to 1.832 CW came. It’s always blissfully quiet on there but I hoped it would not be too quiet and that at least one op would turn up. After a short time Mike EI2CL, who is a keen SOTA collector on 160m, gave my 80 Watts 339 from Dublin. That would likely be the limit at this time of day, so I suspected a wind-up when F6CEL called in. Des G3HKO in Scarborough and Pete EI7CC in Dublin followed up before the battery started to complain.

It’s nowhere close to the worst wind-chill I’ve experienced in 5 years of activating but it was still a relief to get going again. The path down was a cinch to follow in daylight and quite a pleasant walk. The car was reached at 10:53 and it was just a matter of connecting a fresh SLAB for the afternoon sortie before driving off at 11:09.

As the weather forecast had predicted, it got hazier further south. Near Oughtershaw, I saw a group of cyclists, some dressed as Father Christmas, then a group of runners nearer to Buckden, similarly attired. In contrast, both SOTAs were deserted.

It seems that someone suddenly discovered what most people have known for years; that is Birks Fell is the summit and not Horse Head Moor. Certainly, my sons & I ‘knew it’ in March 1994 when we ‘bagged’ the 610m top. It doesn’t take a lot of working out; being on the 1:50k and even appearing on my AA road atlas, so how Horse Head ever got in on the act, I will never know. I guess ‘Miss Marilyn’ is not infallible and it’s all to do with surveys and resurveys but I’ve yet to see any map where Horse Head ‘wins.’

I had prepared four routes for Birks Fell. In 1994, we had parked near Litton, visiting a crashed Stirling Bomber on the way up. There is a huge activation area available but today the approach would be from the NE and the ‘proper’ summit would be the target. Passing the old ‘jump-off’ point at Raisgill, I arrived at noon at the new one (Redmire - SD 9365 7747) a little crestfallen. There was nowhere to park. In the end the car was left 300m further down, by the river at SD 9395 7734 and in intimate contact with the fence!

BIRKS FELL ROUTE: Set off walking ahead of schedule at 12:13. Any ‘new’ route is risky but in the end it worked out well if a little steep in places. It is described below: From the road at SD 9365 7747, follow-up the bridleway and turn right at a forest track at SD 9337 7730. Follow this track through trees and via two ‘zigs’ up to a forest exit-gate at SD 9294 7745. Cross the track at this point and walk up the fell to where a dry-stone wall starts and there’s another gate at SD 9285 7738.

Climb over the gate so that you can walk up with the wall on your right. It’s a bit tussocky and unpromising for a short distance but by SD 9280 7732 a half-decent path is encountered. This takes you all the way to the top via SD 9249 7708, SD 9218 7688 and the top of a steep section at SD 9198 7675. It’s undefined in places but only for short distances. I marked the 610m summit, consisting of a small cairn on a raised area and surrounded by boggy ground, at SD 91877 76372. For the activation it was behind the wall at SD 9179 7641, accessed via a gate on the ‘spine’ pathway.

BIRKS FELL, G/NP-031, 610m, 4Pts, 13:15 to 15:12. Minus 2 deg.C, 15 mph, overcast & hazy but no low-cloud. Heavily frosted grass but little lying snow. (IO84WE, WAB SD97)

Apparently Roy G4SSH had been busy posting my CQ again. This time it was Frid DL1FU who made good use of this on 3.724 CW. After Frid came Mike GW0DSP, who alerted me to an S2S on 3.666 SSB with Steve G1INK/P on GW/NW-051. This was 59 plus both ways and after a brief chat it was back to the ‘narrower road’ of 3.724. Like in the morning, too many incoming reports were superior to outgoing ones but it wasn’t quite the same struggle. Having said that, I only worked 7 in CW as far out as Fred HB9AAQ but mainly UK ops. 19 followed on SSB but not all in a rush. Chasers must have terrible logistical problems at the weekends; there are too many activators to track down, wait in line, work and on to the next. It must be a nightmare at times. I’m often glad I’m an activator!

The QSY to 1.832 CW was advertised by Alistair GW0VMZ and was instrumental in my 50 to 100 W quickly bringing in five stations viz: Roger G4OWG, Carl SM6CPY, Des G3HKO, John G3BBD and finally Mike DJ5AV. I expected to hear Mike EI2CL and called him a few times with the ‘wick up’ but to no avail. It must be that Dublin noise level again as there was no sign of Pete EI7CC either.

The wind had dropped back during the afternoon so it wasn’t quite so cold. I was able to pack up without gloves, whereas if I’d tried that trick in the morning I would have been in some distress. I was driving away by 16:10 having arrived at the car via the same route, at 16:03. Home really early at 18:15 having covered 216 miles for the day.

In the end the day had gone OK except that I must have missed a significant number of callers for which I apologise. The 80m two-mode operation had enabled both UK and quite a few European stations to make contact (early & late, there being no noon activation requiring the use of 40m) and I was pretty pleased with how 160 performed again. Neither of these two summits are particularly brilliant on 2m FM with an omni, so it wasn’t used.

Thanks to all stations worked and for valued spotting by: G4SSH, EI2CL, GW0DSP, GW7AAV, GW0VMZ, G4OWG and DJ5AV.

Total: 62 QSO’s, comprising:
14 on 3.5-CW.
39 on 3.5-SSB.
9 on 1.8-CW.

NP18: 172m (564ft) ascent, 6.8 km (4.3 miles)
NP31: 390m (1280ft) ascent, 6km (3.8 miles)

Eqpt: IC706-2G. 80-60-40-20-(160 coils) link-dipole. 5m mast, 1m end supports.
Battery utilisation: NP18: 92% of 7.5 Ah SLAB. NP31: 77% of 7.5 Ah SLAB.

73, John G4YSS
(using the Scarborough Special Events Group Club-call, GX0OOO/P)


In reply to G4YSS:
“Chasers must have terrible logistical problems at the weekends; there are too many activators to track down, wait in line, work and on to the next. It must be a nightmare at times. I’m often glad I’m an activator!”

You’ve got it right, there, John: at one point I was monitoring you on the TS520S and two other activations on the two VFOs of the FT857 and calling all three at the appropriate points! I got all three in the end but I felt a little pushed!

A great pair of activations in QRM city! Thanks.


Brian G8ADD


I’ve yet to see any map where Horse Head ‘wins’

It ‘wins’ on the OS 1:25000, but not on the OS 1:50000!

I got all three in the end…

Nice one Brian. Have you got some more comfortable slippers these days? :wink:

Compliments of the season, Tom


In reply to G4YSS:

Thanks for a good read as always John. I’m glad to see that you made the S2S with inky. Thanks for the 2 summits and the points.
Your sigs were rock solid 599 cw 59 ssb with me John, alas nothing on top band, I must sort a better antenna for that band.

To Brian, we will have to watch this thread doesn’t go of topic, ie John’s activations.
Too many summits on at the same time is a problem I love, it’s all about getting to know the activators M.O.
If for argument’s sake three activations pop up at the same time, we should know which order to "attack"
Just to pick a few, Klaus, Inky, John triple oscar, you know they will be on the tops for at least an hour. There are other activators who don’t hang around and do a quick activation on one band only.
The secret is to get to know your activator’s method of operation and timings on the tops and work through them methodically, it’s very rare you will miss one this way.

73 Mike


In reply to GW0DSP:
Not really off topic, Mike, but tangential: two modes on one band is in a way two activations, as it seems sometimes those who work someone on CW then work them again on phone…which brings me to giving John my additional thanks for the morse practice, I don’t work as hard at the morse as I ought to, and following the progress of John’s CW activations helps make up for my lack of application!

Tom, I’m fitting my crampons to my slippers!


Brian G8ADD


Many thanks for the good read John!

I was late on sunday, the PC was off and I was still in my sleeping-dress, when I went to the shack for an “ear of fresh waves” :slight_smile:
The RX was already on 3.724 and I heard a “CQ-SOTA de GX0OOO/p”.
I was surprised to hear you so strong on 80m and after I realized it´s realy “you” I had to tune my antenna first…

Many tnx for the vy fb QSO and sri to miss you in the afternoon, but I had family-QRL.
But what a sunday with a “GX0OOO/p-QSO” before breakfast!

I was on SOTAwatch2 later and had to smile because of G4SSH´s 80m-spot.
Many tnx for your fb service John (G4SSH)!

After my breakfast I was lucky to work Steve GW1INK/p (twice), Damien F5RRS/p, Dan DH8DX/p, Roger MW0IDX/p and TV-Star G4CPA/p :slight_smile:

Vy73 and merry Xmas de Fritz DL4FDM(HB9CSA)


Thank you all for the responses.

To Brian: I have suspected for a couple of years that chasers might often have the hardest job but now I realize what lengths you go to as ‘juggling artists.’ Sometimes activators must unknowingly throw spanners in works by QSYing (however briefly) for S2S’s or having to clean ice off sagging antennas. Things take much longer to achieve in these situations.

Also if the chaser is put on a list and does not respond when called-in; that’s a foreseeable risk and I (for one) will completely understand it. Either op (actr. or chasr.) can try again a little later. Some don’t like the list method of operation but at least it gives the chaser some confidence he’s been heard, though I don’t see it as obligating the chaser in any way. Sometimes there are (e.g.) school runs to do or other immediate pressures and if that’s the case, please tell me on the call-in if you’re in a rush and I will try to respond accordingly.

After a lot of trial I am reasonably happy that the practice of two modes on one QRG is working. Sometimes the SSB QRM may make it seem not to but filtered CW will often cut through it. One advantage is that communication is first established in a mode which is better under marginal conditions. Also, from an SSB chaser viewpoint, he/she knows that the activator is (if not ‘as good as in the bag’) at least up & running and through listening to the Morse, can get an idea of how long he/she might have to wait and how hard or easy working him might be. Keep practicing Brian and you can be in batch 1. Quite often, Don G0NES is there.

About the QRM. Yes, it was particularly bad but I normally expect chasers to be struggling more than me. This time it was consistently the opposite but top band was a soooooothing experience after 80m.
73, John.

To Tom: A lot of my maps (like me) are getting long in the tooth. Next time I’m in Waterstones I’ll peek (or peak) a look at the latest on NP21/31, then being a Yorkshireman, place it back on the shelf. HI. 73, John.

To Mike: Yes, the more the merrier on 160m. If it’s working it’s a pleasure to be on. In established daylight, it’s normally a waste of time unless stations are within 50 to 80 miles and QRO is being used at both ends. My antenna won’t be too efficient either, being loaded down to half the size and at a sixteenth the height it needs to be, so anything you can put up (and tune) may work better than you think. My normal policy for top band SOTA is to use QRO unless it’s dark. QRO means the heavy pack (around 30 pounds in winter) which in turn (more often than not but not always) confines me to what I call ‘radial’ activation practices. (CAR-SOTA-CAR-SOTA-CAR etc)

Yes, thanks for the alert for the S2S and even bigger thanks for it in QRS. (My CW reading isn’t really ‘fit for purpose’). I don’t normally go looking for other summits but provided all conditions are met (climatic, power, time etc) am always pleased when I do get one. Apart from half a dozen points, all in my chaser log are S2S’s. I thought I would make SS easily but since changing from weekends to weekdays, I have ground almost to a halt.
73, John.

To Fritz: Sorry Fritz, I was foolish to underestimate such a good op! You did find me on the band in the time-honoured way, without help from technology. Not only that but you set the right QRG the night before! I’m very pleased that you did, as I was a bit earlier than the alert. It was very cold, arriving just as it got light which is why you received some FB’s for again reading that SSEG clubcall! CU on the next one!
73, John. (& 73 from Roy SSH too)

Best wishes to all for a peaceful Christmas and good luck for 2008. John (YSS)


In reply to G4YSS: Thank you for the comprehensive and interesting report, as is usual. Please excuse the long delay.
Having succeeded in hearing you 339 on 160m from NP-018, I had expected that my local noise would be much worse when you were due to be qrv from NP-031. As it happened, the lunch-time noise was S5 instead of the earlier S8 and the expected S9. I did look for you on 160m but gave up the search after 20 minutes. Hence my “Nothing Heard” spot. On the 160m Winter mid-day propagation angle, I should mention that while doing the usual 1,832 plus/minus tuning, I heard weak signals (319) from two stations but I could not hear who they were working. The two were SM6CPY and DJ5AV; there was not one squeak heard from GX0OOO/P, G4OWG, G3HKO or G3BBD! For what its worth?


In reply to EI2CL:
Hi Mike,

Nice to hear from you. Sorry you couldn’t copy me; I thought you’d have no trouble after making the trip in the morning. I had the QRO on most of the time; it was ‘full-up’ at 100W. When you heard Carl SM6CPY and Mike DJ5AV, they were working me. They were strong to me and I was reasonable with them. If you got nothing from me, the only thing I can think of is a chance deep null from my antenna in your direction only, though it sounds unlikely.

It was a strange day though. Roy G4SSH told me he had heard Phil G4OBK calling me on 80 CW but I heard nothing. Then he told me that I was stronger in Cornwall than Phil was! That has to be strange as Phil has a terrific set-up, which normally works the world every time, though he could have been on his beverage pointed my way.

I blamed my cloth-ears but it wasn’t just that on 80. However top band hasn’t had any noise on it from any hill top site I’ve worked. That must be absolutely no consolation at all because of the QRN in Dublin. With top band, all you need are a few damp pylon wires nearby or a rouge thermostat and you’re utterly snookered.

While ever I’m doing NP’s, and there might be a couple more this year, I will try to take QRO and do 160m. Only at night is there a chance of you hearing me with 5W on 160.

I did notice afterwards, that Geoff G4CPA and two others had put NP31 on the same day so perhaps you worked them on 7CW then me later in SSB on 80.

Have a really good Christmas & CU agn SN.

73, John (YSS)