g4obk mg

In reply to G4OOE:
Well done you 'Old-Mountain-Goat’you! Welcome to GOAT-dom and the next 1000!!

Jack (;>J
GM4COX

In reply to F6ENO:
congatulation phil a true mountain goat with the support of your wife Judy and your mate geoff (M6PYG)

Colin heather G4UXH M6UXH

In reply to G4OOE:
Well done Phil.

Congratulations.

Onto the next?

In reply to G4OOE:

Many congratulations on achieving your Goatdom Phil.

An S2S would have been nice but work called and the wx didn’t!

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to G4OOE:
Many congratulations Phil. Brian G4ZRP and I were listening today,but, could not hear you.
73`s Bob g6odu

In reply to G4OOE:

Well done Phil. I couldn’t think of a more deserving person to have achieved a number of WOTA firsts and now also a SOTA Goat. You’re not doing too bad on the chasing stakes either!

It’s always a pleasure to hear you activating and chasing. Many congratulations and enjoy the moment.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OOE:
Hi Phil,

congratulations, very well done!

73 Lutz DL3SBA

In reply to G4OOE:

Well done Phil. Congratulations!

73  DX   Pista  HA5TI

In reply to HA5TI:
Congratulations Phil.

Here’s to many more.

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

Cheers Phil!

Rob G7LAS

In reply to G7LAS:

Congratulations & well done Phil.

Thanks for all the contacts, especially the Top Band S2S’s from GD.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

Thanks everybody, I didn’t know I was so popular apart from when I have been operating from a summit!

It’s been an almost 8 year effort for me to get to Mountain Goat, from my first activation of a one point summit of Hightown Hill in Dumfries & Galloway on 2m using an FT-817 in 2005. Up until the last year or so I fitted activating around holidays and other interests, but once I got to around the 750 point mark I decided to push on and do a little more winter bonus activating to build up the score.

Wainwrights On The Air came into being in March 2009 and that proved a useful distraction - while I was activating those summits in some cases I was also building up some SOTA points in the Lake District.

There are so many people to thank for providing me with the inspiration and help along the way. Two I could mention - John G3WGV (Now SOTA President) for whetting my appetite intitially around 2003, when I attended a presentation he gave on SOTA at the then RSGB HF Convention, and John G4YSS for taking me up on Kinder Scout in 2005 when we operated HF, sought out some aircraft wrecks and John showed me some aspects of “Modern Navigation” using a GPS. It sure beats map and compass, which is always there as a standby. This also gave me an interest in computer mapping, another hobby riding on the back of another hobby in itself. There are many more folk I could mention, so thanks one and all. All those who work for the good of SOTA within the MT and outside of it must be thanked and the many who provide interesting comments and feedback which is shared between the SOTA community all adds to the interest. The spotters as well, and in particular Roy G4SSH who has provided me with a “Dial a Spot” service many times.

73 and good hunting
Phil G4OBK

In reply to G4OOE:
Congratulations Phil on achieving Mountain Goat.
Rob G0HRT

In reply to G4OBK:
Congratulations Phil good effort, GW4ZPL John.

In reply to G4OBK:

Congratulations on the MG Phil.
Would be interested to know what you were using for our 2m vertical cw qso when you were on TW-004

73 de Ken G3XQE

In reply to G4OBK:

Well Done Phil!

Here’s to the next 1000!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G3XQE:
Hi Ken
Yes I thought our 2m CW QSO last week was unusual. East Yorkshire TW-004 to Coventry I believe. I also worked several stations in Lancs / South Lakes on 2m FM and one guy in Nuneaton so there was a small lift on.
On 2m FM CW and SSB I used an FT857 40 watts to a vertical dipole about 10 feet AGL.
Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil;

Thanks for the info, I am running 45W froman FT897D with 500hz cw filter to a Watson WS2000 tri band collinear mounted just above the apex of the roof.
ASL is 300ft and have a 600ft ridge about 4 miles away in your direction.

I had a weekly rag on 2m vertical CW with stations in Skegness and Gainsborough and it worked perfectly week after week until it started getting dark in the early evenings, can still communuicate but too much qsb too rag chew.

I would be interested to try it again next time you are out.

73 Ken

Phil, could you email me a suitable (hi-res if possible) photo of yourself, preferably on your MG activation, that I may use in publicity?

To: tommyread at hotmail dot com

Many thanks,

Tom M1EYP

Well done Phil. One of the few who have been active in SOTA from the very first day! 73 Richard.