G4MD Scotland trip

In reply to GM4TOE:

Hi Barry

Yes please, I would be very interested to see what they’d written about me. My e-mail address is on QRZ.com if you don’t have it already.

My host on Unst did take a couple of pics of me on Valla Field, and a bit of background info, and asked if he could send them to the Shetland Times - guess that’s where it’s come from.

Many thanks!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve, glad you liked the report, and always a pleasure to work you.

I’ve definitely got work to do on the antenna system, as you say at QRP levels one can’t afford to be complacent, you need every milliwatt out there working for you!

I am getting a couple of things right - I use a 7Ah SLAB for power, and have 4m long cords on the ends of the antenna wires so even when the ends of these are tethered at ground level the ends of the radiating elements are around 1.5m off the ground.

Lots of scope for experiment, can’t wait to get at it.

Catch you again soon Steve,

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to GM4COX:

Hi Jack

Very interesting test, and certainly suggesting the most profitable route to follow! I hope to carry out some of my own before too long, perhaps comparing full half wave dipoles with coax or open wire/balun feeder.

I did fear the possibility of RF getting into the '817 from the open wire feeders I usually use. In several tests I’ve not seen it in practice unless Steve’s comment about “weak and watery” audio could be attributed to that, although in my experience RF getting into the audio stages of a transmitter usually results in harsh rasping sounds rather than any reduction of level.

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

The top of the NORCAL Doublet is rather short for good performance on 60m. As I recall it’s only 44 feet so it is significantly less than a halfwave on 40m.

Cebik who seems to have developed the 44ft doublet does not recommend it for 60m.

See:

http://www.cebik.com/fdim/fdim9.pdf

For 60m he recommends a 66ft or 88ft top.

A jumpered dipole seems favourite for those that dont have (or don’t want) an ATU in the system. An 8m length of RG174 has a loss of just over 1dB at 28MHz so that is probably an acceptable cable for HF use. I would not worry about using a BNC to PL259 adapter. The loss at 5MHz of such an adapter is so low that it would be hard to measure even in a lab.

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

Seems that someone left the gate open after all.

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=22566

Richard

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

Yes , I agree the 44’ top doublet does seem a bit short for 60m, and it was certainly intended as an antenna for 40m - 10m, the length apparently being arrived at to provide a fairly consistent radiation pattern on those bands. I tried it for 60m in the hope that it’s short length would give it a high angle of radiation, and because of it’s small size, making it easier to deploy (although now I’m more experienced in HF operation this is not such an issue!)

However it would appear that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, certainly in respect of low power operation from remote areas - so time to move on to better things for 60m, although I will continue evaluating the 44’ doublet for the higher bands, and it probably would be reasonably effective for 60m from the more centrally located areas.

You live and learn - but that’s what Amateur Radio is all about for me!

73 de Paul G4MD

Post Script - A happy ending!

Hi All,

I have just received a very friendly and supportive e-mail from Hans PA0HRM, with whom I attempted my first and only (so far!) cw SOTA QSO, from the Ward of Bressay GM/SI-188 on 01/06/07. Although I did not dare believe it at the time, he confirms we did successfully complete, and that a QSL card is on it’s way. I thus feel justified in claiming the summit as activated!

For anyone arriving here from another popular current thread, a few stats:

Time on summit - 3.5 hours
QSO’s made - 4 (3xSSB, 1xCW)
Number of bands tried - 4 (80m,60m,40m,20m)
Modes used - SSB, CW
Countries worked - 4 (DL,PA,GM,EW)

Hooray for cw I say! I shall be putting even more effort into gaining proficiency. Although no plans to scrap the mic just yet…

73 de Paul G4MD